what is the biggest hardd rive that mandrake 8 supports?

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2001

      what is the biggest hardd rive that mandrake 8 supports?

      I was thinking of replacing my 4 gb one with a 30...but I want to be shure that it is supported....

      i can get 30's 20's and 10's if anyone needs.....

    • richjob@carib-link.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
        size would be limited by the BIOS.

        While there may be some contrller problems, Mandrake has no HD
        limitations AFAIK

        On 31 Aug 2001, at 22:45, Vlade Malfet wrote:

        > what is the biggest hardd rive that mandrake 8 supports?
        >
        > I was thinking of replacing my 4 gb one with a 30...but I want to be shure that it is supported....
        >
        > i can get 30's 20's and 10's if anyone needs.....

        **********************
        Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago.
        http://chanderspot.go.to ICQ 5183191
        ---------------------------------------

        This message is sent from my HOME account.
        For anyone who may be reading this, the opinions
        expressed here are mine, and not of $LARGEWORKPLACE.
        Any endorsement or non-endorsement of any good or service
        in this email is based on MY personal experiences and
        does not reflect the experiences of $LARGEWORKPLACE.
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
          thanks :)
        • richjob@carib-link.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
            Actually, let me amend that a bit.

            I stuck a 20 GB Maxtor in a P166 and stuck Mandrake 8 on it.
            Worked fine.

            I would be more concerned with controller issues, to be honest.
            Some of the ATA 100 controllers may not be yet supported.

            On 1 Sep 2001, at 7:52, richjob@... wrote:

            > size would be limited by the BIOS.
            >
            > While there may be some contrller problems, Mandrake has no HD
            > limitations AFAIK
            >
            > On 31 Aug 2001, at 22:45, Vlade Malfet wrote:
            >
            > > what is the biggest hardd rive that mandrake 8 supports?
            > >
            > > I was thinking of replacing my 4 gb one with a 30...but I want to be shure that it is supported....
            > >
            > > i can get 30's 20's and 10's if anyone needs.....
            > >

            > **********************
            > Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago.
            > http://chanderspot.go.to ICQ 5183191
            > ---------------------------------------
            >
            > This message is sent from my HOME account.
            > For anyone who may be reading this, the opinions
            > expressed here are mine, and not of $LARGEWORKPLACE.
            > Any endorsement or non-endorsement of any good or service
            > in this email is based on MY personal experiences and
            > does not reflect the experiences of $LARGEWORKPLACE.

            **********************
            Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago.
            http://chanderspot.go.to ICQ 5183191
            ---------------------------------------

            This message is sent from my HOME account.
            For anyone who may be reading this, the opinions
            expressed here are mine, and not of $LARGEWORKPLACE.
            Any endorsement or non-endorsement of any good or service
            in this email is based on MY personal experiences and
            does not reflect the experiences of $LARGEWORKPLACE.
          • Meng .
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
              Two things
              1) Be sure your bios supports large drives
              2) Be sure your ata controller card can fall back to seethe drive as a 33 or
              66 i fyou have a ata 100 drive some dont.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
                hmm...was going for a quantum fireball...i knew of the ata 100 controller issue...i use  a Promise 100 ata  controler...hehe...4 of them....8ide device heaven,,,, :)
                tthere are drivers out there for ti i believe..but not to shure how to install the drivers....or where they are..gonna go hunting...
                1) Be sure your bios supports large drives
                2) Be sure your ata controller card can fall back to seethe drive as a 33 or
                66 i fyou have a ata 100 drive some dont.

              • David McKen
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 5, 2001
                  OK Boys and girls answer this one

                  Just put together a 800Mhz Duron with 256 Mb of RAM
                  10 Gb ata/100 hard drive and a 16Mb video card(yes I know it is a
                  waste in a server) and a 10/100 network card plugged into a 8 port
                  hub

                  This system is to act as a server in a windows network allowing
                  access to files and a HP Printer(USB!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

                  How long would it take to configure and get the network up and
                  running and should a non linux user have to go in and change any
                  thing can I leave detailed instructions and not have it take up a
                  book (know a bit about Samba). Please reply soon.
                  very ready to get win2k off of it.

                  P.S. I leave for Washington on the 20/7/01 so I want to meet with the
                  group before I leave so when is the next meeting???

                  http://im.yahoo.com
                • Nigel Ayen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 6, 2001
                    Samba can be installed as part of the Linux installation or just as simply
                    added to an existing installation. All it really takes is modify a few lines
                    in smb.conf and start Samba. Setup a shared drive, shared printer and add
                    users to the Linux box. I say 20 minutes.

                    Once Samba is setup and working to your liking, it runs forever unless
                    hardware fails. Sort of like NetWare:-) A user should not have to touch it
                    unless they need to modify something.

                    btw....forget the USB printer and get a regular printer. USB printing, even
                    under Windows is not a good idea as yet for corporate use.

                    > Just put together a 800Mhz Duron with 256 Mb of RAM
                    > 10 Gb ata/100 hard drive and a 16Mb video card(yes I know it is a
                    > waste in a server) and a 10/100 network card plugged into a 8 port
                    > hub
                    >
                    > This system is to act as a server in a windows network allowing
                    > access to files and a HP Printer(USB!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
                    >
                    > How long would it take to configure and get the network up and
                    > running and should a non linux user have to go in and change any
                    > thing can I leave detailed instructions and not have it take up a
                    > book (know a bit about Samba). Please reply soon.
                    > very ready to get win2k off of it.
                    >
                    > P.S. I leave for Washington on the 20/7/01 so I want to meet with the
                    > group before I leave so when is the next meeting???

                  • Derry Goberdhansingh
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 6, 2001
                      You coming up to DC? To stay or for vacation?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 11, 2001
                        to study rather andI might stay if I find things ok up there

                        http://im.yahoo.com