Untraceable Email At BWEE?

  • Dale Chulhan - Home
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2001
      Below is the full header of an email sent to me from a hotmail user ...

      With regards to Mark's article in the guardian which conclusively states
      that one CANNOT trace emails that are sent from a web based email
      provider back to the point of origin, I have the following statements to
      make:

      1) A brief look at the header will reveal ( a not always shown field )
      called X-Originating IP
      2) This IP upon doing reverse DNS is: cuscon1897.tstt.net.tt
      3) In fact the NetBloct can be further confirmed to be owned by TSTT:
      Telecommunications Services of Trinidad and Tobago Ltd (NETBLK-TSTT97)
      TSTT97
      209.94.192.0 - 209.94.223.255
      TSTT ISP (NETBLK-TSTT-209-94-205-0) TSTT-209-94-205-0
      209.94.205.0 - 209.94.218.255
      4) A traceroute can be done to verify where the dial-up can be done
      from.

      If the users who had sent the threatening email had been foolhard enough
      to send the emails from their own PC at work the obvious would be
      possible. Busted.

      If on the other hand a dial up account had been used, as is standard
      practice, a favour could have been called in to TSTT's internet services
      to pull the information as to what phone number had originated the call
      that had been given the ip address at what ever time the email was sent.

      Please be careful when publishing such material as it is mis leading.

      This email was sent to :
      mark@..., TheTechies@egroups.com, TTLUG@egroups.com,
      letters@..., newsroom@..., itps@...

      From: "The Sender" <uname@...>