Re: [ttlug] Its alive.

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 4, 2013
      Sucks when all you guys talk about is Linux desktops and the desktop sucks
      so hard. Any interesting applications? Recently, I've been using something
      called Fabric. Fabric + ssh-keys allows you to run commands on remote
      servers from your local machine. I've used it to start consolidating my
      sysadmin and (sql) reporting scripts. This way all my scripts and crons are
      on a single server instead of spread out across 2-3 dozen servers. Makes
      for some kickass automation options leaving you with more time to do
      nothing :)

      Doing nothing should be every sysadmin's goal.

      /Stephen

      On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Lawrence, Rellon
      <rellonlawrence@...>wrote:

      > Mint might not be the best now.
      > Ubuntu has only 8MTS life except for LTS and mint has no upgrade path.
      > Fresh system every 8 mts
      >
      > On Tuesday, June 4, 2013, Richard Jobity wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > MINT!
      > >
      > > MINT~!

    • browwwsers1996
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 5, 2013
        Love that comment.

        Doing nothing should be every sysadmin's goal.

        Had only one issue with 13.04 after update and that was apport kept crashing...the lack of reports from my machine should indicate to the people who read them that I have turned it off.

        No more probs
      • Falina Baksh
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 5, 2013
          Fabric sounds interesting, will check it out.

          What do you guys favor for monitoring?

          I'm feeling like stepping away from nagios and trying some of the other tools e.g zabbix claims to do give you nagios+mrtg in one package.

          Rgds,
          Falina

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 5, 2013
            What kind of monitoring?

            You have Nagios for services, people tend to like it but I don't. Splunk
            for any type of text log file and Cacti for bandwidth. Splunk is best of
            class imo, and they have a free version if you don't mind not being able to
            set a password and being limited to 500MB uncompressed data. Splunk is so
            awesome that it makes logging/alerting fun. You can create your own custom
            logs out of the real logs with a script then feed that into Splunk so that
            you stay within the 500MB limit. I have over 40 devices sending logs in one
            form or another to Splunk on a server which is under specced for the role
            and am not close to the 500MB/day limit. If someone logs into my firewall,
            or one of my databases experiences an error level event or a new file
            appears on my sftp server or a file system somewhere is above a particular
            threshold I will know in under 2 minutes. Splunk makes logging and alerting
            proactive instead of reactive. All sysadmins should be using it.

          • Ace Suares
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 5, 2013
              On 06/05/2013 11:32 AM, Stephen Sankarsingh wrote:
              > What kind of monitoring?
              >
              > You have Nagios for services, people tend to like it but I don't. Splunk
              > for any type of text log file and Cacti for bandwidth. Splunk is best of
              > class imo, and they have a free version if you don't mind not being able to
              > set a password

              But with a bit of sourcery you can bind the splunk webinterface to
              localhost, and then build an ssh-tunnel so really only you can access
              the webinterface.

              Cheers
              ace

            • Falina Baksh
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 5, 2013
                I used nagios in the past for host and service monitoring and it works quite well, but I would like to setup something that's easy for anti-cli n00b co-workers to configure and add devices to use when I'm not around and not have to hear the "I don't really know how to use that / it's not working" excuses and a little less hair pulling for extracting reports in a management friendly format.

                Mrtg worked perfectly as well for bandwidth graphing but again configuration isn't n00b friendly.

                Ideally I'm looking for something that could be easily administered, cacti is looking good but I've been hearing a lot about zabbix as well.

                Thanks,
                Falina

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 5, 2013
                  Cacti is easier to configure than MRTG, though I still wouldn't consider it
                  n00b friendly. It's rock solid though and I had a server running it for
                  many years without any issues. The main thing it's missing is alerts, I
                  have a feeling that integrated with Zabbix you wouldn't have that problem.
                  If you're familiar with Nagios and are looking for cacti-like functionality
                  then Zabbix is looking good. If you're looking for management friendly
                  reports then Splunk does that. I have never had to draw graphs or pie
                  charts etc with Splunk but I know the functionality is there. With the
                  commercial version you can define roles and allow only certain people to
                  view, create or edit searches/reports/alerts etc. With the free version any
                  reports/searches/alerts you create will be viewable and editable etc by
                  anyone who has access to Splunk's interface.

                  Splunk is like google for text files, you can create searches that look for
                  key words or even entire transactions and make alerts/reports out of those.
                  It's agnostic too and doesn't really care where the log comes from. You can
                  "teach" it to understand new log formats so that it understands the logs in
                  your custom application whereas most others can only understand logs
                  created by a known application such as syslog or secure or messages or
                  eventlog etc.

                  A lot of the stuff Splunk does you can probably do with some combination of
                  awk, grep and sed but your n00bs wouldn't know how to do that right? If you
                  had to teach a new person about all the scripts you wrote to do what Splunk
                  does in a search bar you would be wasting a lot of time and effort. If you
                  had to go back and make changes to your scripts so that it does something
                  slightly different you would also be wasting time.

                  Splunk is sexy. If I wore panties, I would throw them at Splunk!

                • Falina Baksh
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 5, 2013
                    Spunk is actually sounding quite decent for log analysis.

                    Currently I have my Cisco devices reporting to a syslog server and I was considering writing some reporting scripts for email alerts, however if i can have something to do this out if box that would be more sustainable in my absence.

                    The syslog server would eventually be responsible for logging from all of the servers in the infrastructure.

                    All of the existing servers that I met here are windows based, I only brought up a second Linux server this week so it will be a high learning curve for the other staff.

                    My backup plan if I fail to find an existing "wheel" for easy administration is to write a php frontend along the lines of webmin for easy configuration of any scripts and config files that need to work with, not really looking forward to that though.

                    I really hate implementing things that don't get used or fall off the wagon once I step away from a project, I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 5, 2013
                      Splunk replaced my old centralized syslog server too. It can do a stellar
                      job at syslog but as previously indicated you'll end up using it for much
                      more. Chalk and cheese really.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 5, 2013
                        I only ever read the first line of an email but I went back and read the
                        other lines after my last response and realized that I missed most of your
                        concerns. See rest of replies below please.

                        On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Falina Baksh <bakshfalina@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Spunk is actually sounding quite decent for log analysis.
                        >
                        > Currently I have my Cisco devices reporting to a syslog server and I was
                        > considering writing some reporting scripts for email alerts, however if i
                        > can have something to do this out if box that would be more sustainable in
                        > my absence.
                        >
                        > The syslog server would eventually be responsible for logging from all of
                        > the servers in the infrastructure.
                        >
                        > Correction: The Splunk server would eventually be responsible for logging
                        from all of the servers in the infrastructure.

                        > All of the existing servers that I met here are windows based, I only
                        > brought up a second Linux server this week so it will be a high learning
                        > curve for the other staff.
                        >
                        > There's a syslog server for windows, never used it for anything but if you
                        have Windows servers you can:
                        http://www.kiwisyslog.com/products/kiwi-syslog-server/product-overview.aspx
                        Alternatively, Splunk can handle EventViewer logs, not sure how it does it
                        since I never had to deal with that problem.
                        http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/Data/MonitorWindowsdata

                        > My backup plan if I fail to find an existing "wheel" for easy
                        > administration is to write a php frontend along the lines of webmin for
                        > easy configuration of any scripts and config files that need to work with,
                        > not really looking forward to that though.

                        Above my head, I'm no programmer and am limited to simple scripting.

                        > I really hate implementing things that don't get used or fall off the
                        > wagon once I step away from a project, I'm trying to avoid that as much as
                        > possible.

                        I used to have time for that before :(

> [...]
                        > >

                        > > On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Falina Baksh <bakshfalina@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> **
                        >

                        > >> I used nagios in the past for host and service monitoring and it works
                        > >> quite well, but I would like to setup something that's easy for anti-cli
                        > >> n00b co-workers to configure and add devices to use when I'm not around
                        > and
                        > >> not have to hear the "I don't really know how to use that / it's not
                        > >> working" excuses and a little less hair pulling for extracting reports
                        > in a
                        > >> management friendly format.
                        > >>
                        > >> Mrtg worked perfectly as well for bandwidth graphing but again
                        > >> configuration isn't n00b friendly.
                        > >>
                        > >> Ideally I'm looking for something that could be easily administered,
                        > cacti
                        > >> is looking good but I've been hearing a lot about zabbix as well.

                      • Falina Baksh
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 5, 2013
                          I saw Kiwi installed on one of the windows servers here, not in use though, I'm guessing a previous admin had this setup at one point.

                          My syslog-ng host was already setup at that point though, will take a gander at it at some point.

                          I'm installing zabbix on a vm to test this week to see how well it would work for us.

                          Thanks,
                          Falina

                          Sent from my iPhone

                        • wayne baptiste
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 8, 2013
                            i am glad about time if you guys need any help let me know