Re: [ttlug] Fw: Ubuntu 11.04: The ultimate educational desktop? [ZDNET]

    Message 1 of 6 , May 9 5:06 AM
      On the Linux Action Show the hosts are lamenting that they are being left
      behind in these new desktop interface paradigms, i.e. Unity and Gnome3. What
      are your opinions on these moves?
      On 6 May 2011 18:47, "Deosaran Bisnath" <deobisnath@...> wrote:

      > --- On Fri, 5/6/11, ZDNet Education Latest Headlines <
      newsletters@...> wrote:

      > From: ZDNet Education Latest Headlines <newsletters@...>
      > Subject: Ubuntu 11.04: The ultimate educational desktop? [ZDNET]
      > To: deobisnath@...
      > Date: Friday, May 6, 2011, 12:05 PM

      > Trouble viewing this mail? Read it online | Manage my newsletters |
      Previous Edition

      > ZDNet Education
      >
      > ZDNet Member | May 06, 2011
      >

      > Home | News & Blogs | Videos | White Papers | Downloads | Reviews | Photo
      Galleries | Podcasts | RSS Feeds

      > Latest Headlines
      >

      > Ubuntu 11.04: The ultimate educational desktop?
      >

      > Much has been made of Ubuntu�s new Unity interface. Love it or hate it,
      it�s hard not to see how the stripped down interface minimizes distractions
      and lets schools and teachers use computers for whatever task might be at
      hand.

      > Recommended
      > Cloud Computing White Paper: Latest Buzzword or Glimpse of the Future?
      > Go beyond the hype and get the facts on whether cloud computing represents
      a real game changer for your company-or just another technology fad.

      > Is Fitango's Action Plan Market the future of training and education?
      >

      > This isn�t just about posting your 8th pound lost or your third day
      without smoking on your Facebook wall. This is about empowering consumers to
      learn and grow via a free market and the social web.

      > MIT Media Lab hires college dropout as director: Beyond Negroponte
      >

      > Occasionally, college dropouts do fairly well for themselves. Will the new
      head of MIT�s Media Lab continue his track record of successes in cutting
      edge organizations?

      > Let the Ed Tech Hardware Battle Royale begin
      >

      > Big tablets? Little tablets? Convertible tablets? Netbooks? Is the 1:1
      Holy Grail in there somewhere?

      > What's 20 years to a Millennial? An entire lifetime
      >

      > ZDNet�s 20th anniversary: Internet years are kind of like dog years.
      Twenty years is a very long time.

      > Connect with ZDNet
      >

      > Become a fan on Facebook
      >
      > Follow us on Twitter
      >
      > Watch us on YouTube
      >

      > Recommended Downloads
      > Sponsored White papers
      >

      > #yiv1251809632 ul#yiv1251809632medusa {
      > list-style-type:none;padding:0px 5px 0px 5px;margin:0px 7px 0px 7px;}
      > #yiv1251809632 li#yiv1251809632medusa {

      list-style-type:none;margin-left:0px;margin-bottom:12px;font-family:Georgia,
      Times New Roman, Times, serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa {
      > font-weight:bold;color:#004d99;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana,
      Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa:visited {
      > color:#004d99;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
      sans-serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa:hover {
      > color:#004d99;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
      sans-serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa-summary {
      > color:#004d99;font-weight:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana,
      Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa-summary:visited {
      > color:#004d99;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
      sans-serif;}
      > #yiv1251809632 a#yiv1251809632medusa-summary:hover {
      > color:#004d99;text-decoration:none;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
      sans-serif;}

      > Achieve the Next Level of Complete, Integrated Virtualization
      > IT is looking toward the optimized delivery of advanced on-demand services
      and integrated application management. Download this eBook and transform
      your business with a complete and integrated virtualization solution.
      > Remote support for PCs, Macs and Smartphones
      > You need the ability to support users on today's most popular platforms --
      including iPhones and iPads. LogMeIn Rescue can help. Test drive LogMeIn
      Rescue for free and start providing complete on-demand remote support to
      customers and colleagues.
      > Improve the Efficiency of Your Data Center with IBM
      > Learn how to extend the life of existing equipment, cut operational
      expenses by as much as half, and create a flexible, responsive
      infrastructure. IBM can help you build a road map to a more efficient data
      center.
      > BNET Videocast: All Things On Demand
      > Get the advanced capabilities your enterprise needs from a customer
      relationship management (CRM) system with next-generation, on-demand
      solutions.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 9 5:18 AM
        While we may have been left to the tender mercies of Mr. Shuttleworth's decisions, the changes were rolled out in a public manner.

        I don't think the Unity interface is *quite* ready as yet, but there's always LTS for those that desire stability in their ubuntu.

        Plus there is always KDE and the "classic" stylings of deprecated Gnome 2.

        -rij

> [...]
        Rescue for free and start providing complete on-demand remote support to
        customers and colleagues.
        > Improve the Efficiency of Your Data Center with IBM
        > Learn how to extend the life of existing equipment, cut operational
        expenses by as much as half, and create a flexible, responsive
        infrastructure. IBM can help you build a road map to a more efficient data
        center.
        > BNET Videocast: All Things On Demand
        > Get the advanced capabilities your enterprise needs from a customer
        relationship management (CRM) system with next-generation, on-demand
        solutions.

        > More white papers:
        >

        > Most popular papers
        >

        > Recently added papers
        >

        > Most popular papers by industry

        > Copyright CBS Interactive, Inc. All rights reserved.
        > ZDNet is a registered service mark of CBS Interactive, Inc.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9 5:34 AM
          So if I'm getting this right, there's a new version of Gnome that looks a
          lot different from the old version, Ubuntu is using it and people are
          complaining?

          From my limited experience of Ubuntu, the GUI messed up the simple act of
          changing an IP address. For some reason it only worked after a reboot. Also,
          if I changed my IP address via text files some Network Manager programme
          would undo my changes and screw things up.

          Having to reboot to change an IP address is very 90's, then again I may be
          doing something wrong.

          /Stephen

          Message 4 of 6 , May 9 5:43 AM
            Not quite, Gnome3 is a totally new interface and Ubuntu has invested in a
            different interface caller Unity, which is also totally different.
            Traditional users are sort of being left behind.

            As for the changing of an IP address that was most likely caused by their
            poor implementation of X networking and NetworkManager, which is a
            RedHat/Fedora project.
            On 9 May 2011 08:35, "Stephen Sankarsingh" <stephentnt@...> wrote:
            > So if I'm getting this right, there's a new version of Gnome that looks a
            > lot different from the old version, Ubuntu is using it and people are
            > complaining?
            >
            > From my limited experience of Ubuntu, the GUI messed up the simple act of
            > changing an IP address. For some reason it only worked after a reboot.
            Also,
            > if I changed my IP address via text files some Network Manager programme
            > would undo my changes and screw things up.
            >
            > Having to reboot to change an IP address is very 90's, then again I may be
            > doing something wrong.
            >
            > /Stephen
            >
            > On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Richard Jobity <RichardJ@...> wrote:
            >

            >> While we may have been left to the tender mercies of Mr. Shuttleworth's
            >> decisions, the changes were rolled out in a public manner.
            >>
            >> I don't think the Unity interface is *quite* ready as yet, but there's
            >> always LTS for those that desire stability in their ubuntu.
            >>
            >> Plus there is always KDE and the "classic" stylings of deprecated Gnome
            2.

            >> -rij

          • slim
            Message 5 of 6 , May 10 6:59 PM
              Have anyone tested GNOME 3? Gnome 3 is very unstable and far from being finished. There is no great cohesion with Gnome 3 and Ubuntu 11.04. Unity is a great start for Ubuntu's future. Linux Mint will most likely still use Gnome 2.32 so if you don't get Ubuntu's future...there you go.