Fwd: [ttcs_announce] TTCS meeting on Saturday September 11 2010 from 1pm ; preparationsfor Software Freedom Day on Sept 18 2010

  • Dev Anand Teelucksingh
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2010
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [ttcs_announce] TTCS meeting on Saturday September 11 2010
      from 1pm ; preparationsfor Software Freedom Day on Sept 18 2010
      Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:18:01 -0400
      From: Dev Anand Teelucksingh <admin@...>
      To: ttcs_announce@yahoogroups.com, ttcs <ttcs@yahoogroups.com>

      The Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society (TTCS) will be having a
      meeting on Saturday September 11 2010 from 1pm to 5pm at Engineering
      Consultants at 112A Edward Street, Port of Spain (corner of Oxford and
      Edward Street).

      At this meeting, we will be doing preparations for Software Freedom
      Day (SFD) 2010 which will be on September 18th 2010.

      What is SFD?
      ---------------------
      Software Freedom Day (SFD) is a global, grassroots effort to educate
      the public about the benefits and availability of Free and Open Source
      Software (FOSS). The non-profit company Software Freedom International
      (http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/) coordinates SFD at a global
      level. Volunteer teams throughout the world organise local SFD events
      around the third Saturday in September.

      What TTCS is doing for SFD 2010

      For SFD 2010, we will have a booth at Trincity mall, Trincity on
      September 18 2010 from 10am to 5pm to demonstrate various aspects of
      Free and Open Source Software such as :
      - our TTCS OSSWIN disc (http://www.ttcsweb.org/osswin-cd/)
      - demoing Ubuntu, a popular linux-based operating system bundled with
      many applications.
      - our system to track/monitor disasters in Trinidad& Tobago

      This is similar to our booth displays held for SFD2009 at Gulf City
      Mall, Lowlands, Tobago and at Long Circular Mall, Trinidad (videos
      from this effort can be seen at http://www.vimeo.com/ttcs).

      What will TTCS be doing this Saturday September 11

      Some of the preparations for SFD 2010 that will be done on Saturday
      September 11 :

      - confirming who will be assisting TTCS on the day itself.
      - designing press releases
      - preparing 2-3 machines for SFD 2010 - installing Microsoft Windows 7
      and installing Ubuntu
      - preparing the TTCS OSSWIN disc to add more applications ; we will be
      burning DVDs instead of CDs so more applications can be included. Help
      is needed to write descriptions, screenshots, etc.

      Also, if time permits, further discussion on our larger event to be
      held in November 2010 ; a tech day event covering various aspects of
      computing including Windows, MacOS, Linux and the Internet.

      If you are willing to help TTCS with SFD on Sept 18, do email admin
      a@t ttcsweb.org and try to attend this Saturday.

      Looking forward to a productive Saturday!

      Dev Anand Teelucksingh
      Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society at http://ttcsweb.org/
      "networking local computer users!"