Must have apps?

  • Trevor Christian
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2010
      So... pursuant to the F13 thread and promise of a new thread my question:

      So you've just installed a fresh batch of Linux-y goodness. What's missing?
      What are your must have applications? What are your suggested apps to be
      installed thereafter?

      Regards,
      Trevor "TeC" Christian BSc. Computing
      Cell #: (767) 225 4472 / (868) 687 0436
      Home Page <http://www.trevorchristian.com> (http://www.trevorchristian.com/
      )
      Curriculum Vitae<https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B7ITpUFHvNV4ZjE5ZDI0ZDMtZjE5YS00NDQ5LWE1YTktYTkxODdhMTk1NGZk&hl=en_GB>
      http://member.acm.org/~trevorchristian

    • richjob@jobity.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27, 2010
        > So... pursuant to the F13 thread and promise of a new thread my question:
        >
        > So you've just installed a fresh batch of Linux-y goodness. What's
        > missing?
        > What are your must have applications? What are your suggested apps to be
        > installed thereafter?

        Honestly, like everything else in Linux, the best answer may be "it depends".

        Who is the user? Consumer, developer, artist, musician,, programmer, web
        worker?

        Your answer is going to be different, and most likely, "it have an app for
        that".

        Except for getting these crappy "winmodems" to work. Just save yourself
        the grief and buy a good external serial hardware modem.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 27, 2010
          For browsing, Firefox, or Chrome
          For Music, RhythmBox, Amarok (KDE) or Banshee
          For Photos, Picasa, I know it's not open source
          For Office type stuff, Open Office...
          For Windows apps you want to continue to use, Wine... it keeps getting
          better and better

          If you have other special needs:
          For media streaming: Mediatomb, this works great to my PS3
          For programming: I've used Geany

          I'd be interested to hear others' inputs.

          On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Trevor Christian <doubleOTeC@...>wrote:

          > So... pursuant to the F13 thread and promise of a new thread my question:
          >
          > So you've just installed a fresh batch of Linux-y goodness. What's missing?
          > What are your must have applications? What are your suggested apps to be
          > installed thereafter?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Trevor "TeC" Christian BSc. Computing
          > Cell #: (767) 225 4472 / (868) 687 0436
          > Home Page <http://www.trevorchristian.com> (
          > http://www.trevorchristian.com/
          > )
          > Curriculum Vitae<
          > https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B7ITpUFHvNV4ZjE5ZDI0ZDMtZjE5YS00NDQ5LWE1YTktYTkxODdhMTk1NGZk&hl=en_GB
          > >
          > http://member.acm.org/~trevorchristian<http://member.acm.org/%7Etrevorchristian>

          "Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers."

        • Trevor Christian
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 27, 2010
            Yea... It would vary per individual. The varying inputs were the intention of the question. It's not situation specific; just asking what you'd use.

            -- Sent from my Nokia mobile phone
            Trevor "TeC" Christian BSc. Computing
            (767)225-4472/(868)687-0436