Alternative Laptop - Linux/Open Office -- RE: [ttcs] Newsday : Govt seeks laptop suppliers ; tender deadline July 15

  • Deosaran Bisnath
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2010

      I am still concerned about the WINDOWS being DICTATED as the OS. Higher cost is just one reason ....
      I have read of many laptop programs throughout the world e.g. Uruguay, but not with WINDOWS; recently, I got a mail from the OLPC group about a Laptop for Teenagers (an upgrade from the Laptop for primary schools),  XO 1.5 or something similar.
      What are the Linux laptops that can be used for this project?
      Regards, Deosaran

      Date: Thursday, July
      8, 2010, 7:56 PM

      Apparently the even the manufacturers already knew what they
      wanted.
      Did you know a Netbook can run Win7 Ultimate very
      well?

      On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Dev Anand
      Teelucksingh <devtee@gmail. com> wrote:

      Newsday
      July
      5th, 2010

      "On the heels of the People’s Partnership’s vow
      in the recent General
      Election to give a laptop to all
      Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA)
      Exam pupils, the Government
      yesterday advertised in the press to
      invite bids from
      suppliers... ...
      ...From the July 4 date of the publication of
      this invitation to
      tender, the company set a closing date of
      July 15, giving potential
      bidders about 11 days to put together
      a proposal."

      Read article :
      http://www.newsday co.tt/politics/
      0,123496. html

      group/ttcs/

      join
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      com
         ttcs-fullfeatured@ yahoogroups.
      com

      com

      info/terms/

      --

      WWW.TRINTRADE. COM
      Shop Safe. Largest

      --
      WWW.TRINTRADE. COM
      Shop Safe.

      Checked
      by AVG - www.avg.com
      Release Date: 07/09/10 06:36:00

    • John Lewis
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2010
        GoRTT has an MS enterprise licence

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++It may be that your sole purpose in life
        is simply to serve as a warning to others!!!

        ________________________________

        can't wait, you know how customers like to play dumb.
        It
        will be love when they request everything be fixed.

        :))

        kevin,

        Date: Thursday, July
        8, 2010, 7:56 PM

[...]

      • Jacqueline A. Morris
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2010
          Hmmm - Dell ships w/ Linux. HP, all manufacturers, really.
          Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device available from bmobile.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2010
            The other question we have ask is, does the public service, as it is right
            now, have the trained resources to maintain and administer Linux machines?
            If they do have an MS Enterprise license, we can assume they have more than
            a few IT personnel with experience in Windows administration.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2010
              IMO, once the right people are involved, Linux would be easier to
              administer. Then again, if this project was properly thought out the only
              things the laptop would need to run would be an office suite and a web
              browser...

            • carroll cole
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 12, 2010
                My 2 cents. In giving laptops to the children, I am making the
                assumption that there will be a syllabus. Which would lead to the
                children being taught how to use the chosen os. In trinidad windows is
                the major os and as a responsible government spending my tax dollars,
                they will have to prepare the children for the world of work, which
                means windows.

                I am not against linux being taught in schools, but it should be taught
                as a second os not a first, and preferably done at the level of form 5 - 6.

                Stephen Sankarsingh wrote:
                > IMO, once the right people are involved, Linux would be easier to
                > administer. Then again, if this project was properly thought out the only
                > things the laptop would need to run would be an office suite and a web
                > browser...
                >
                > On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Ryan Shripat <ryan.shripat@...> wrote:
                >

                >> The other question we have ask is, does the public service, as it is right
                >> now, have the trained resources to maintain and administer Linux machines?
                >> If they do have an MS Enterprise license, we can assume they have more than
                >> a few IT personnel with experience in Windows administration.
                >>
                >> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Jacqueline A. Morris <
                >> jam@...> wrote:
                >>

                >>> Hmmm - Dell ships w/ Linux. HP, all manufacturers, really.
                >>> Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device available from bmobile.

                >>> July

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 12, 2010
                  But are we really teaching them how to use the OS or how to use the computer
                  and the Internet to achieve competence in a particular study area? If we
                  make the assumption that there *is* a syllabus then I think this makes my
                  case stronger.

                  All they need is an office suite and a web browser to access resources in
                  the syllabus. For instance, they shouldn't need a specific OS to learn
                  geography or literature. From an administrative point of view a specialized,
                  Linux distribution geared towards being an office suite and a web browser
                  should be both easier and cheaper to implement and maintain.

                  Children aren't stupid and you would find that some would find ways to get
                  these laptops to do things they weren't meant to do and we would've
                  inadvertently spawned a new generation of hackers. These would probably be
                  more interested in computing related studies later on.

                  Of course, if we simply want to train the next generation of Windows users
                  for our currently Windows dependent work-force then Windows is necessary.

                  /Stephen

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 12, 2010
                    Lots of advertisements for IT personnel in ministries these days, almost as
                    though some spring cleaning is being done. If they don't currently have the
                    resources then they can put out some more ads and give RHS/DN-leveled
                    individuals a ten-days.

                    /Stephen

                    p.s. While I'm here, +10 Obeahman points to Carroll for reviving a topic I
                    hoped would remain dead.