Re: [ttlug] security updates

  • Falina Baksh
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2010
      Thats why I like Gentoo, with USE flags u can specify particular packages to
      exclude when updating and installing packages

      On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM, carroll cole <carroll.cole@...> wrote:

      > thanks will try that. I'm not auto updating, its just that twice for the
      > year using apt-get upgrade has updated apps on my server and reduced
      > their functionality, so i want to just install security updates, till
      > its time to go from one lts to another.
      >

      > Stephen Sankarsingh wrote:
      > >

      > > sources.list!! gg
      > >
      > > and Falina is right about auto updating.
      > >
      > > /Stephen
      > >
      > > On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Falina Baksh <bakshfalina@...<bakshfalina%40gmail.com>
      > > <mailto:bakshfalina%40gmail.com <bakshfalina%2540gmail.com>>> wrote:
      > >
      > > > You have to edit your sources.list and you can specify what you want to
      > > > update in terms of main, contributed etc. You'll probably want main
      > only
      > > > since it will be distribution mostly security updates, but its not a
      > > good
      > > > idea to auto-update if thats what you have planned since its always
      > > better
      > > > to get an idea of what packages are being updated in case something
      > > breaks.
      > > >
      > > > You can read more
      > > > http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Obtaining_security_updates
      > > >
      > > > On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:28 AM, carroll cole
      > > <carroll.cole@... <carroll.cole%40gmail.com> <mailto:
      > carroll.cole%40gmail.com <carroll.cole%2540gmail.com>>

      Rgds,
      Falina

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9, 2010
        You can exclude apps with apt/yum/up2date etc too or even specify that
        certain packages only be updated from certain alternative repos but that
        doesn't really help in preventing package hell.

        I've done it for a postgresql installation

        eg. https://public.commandprompt.com/projects/pgcore/wiki

        An example is kernel updates under RHEL, they are excluded by default but
        you can force them if you like.

        /Stepheen

      • Rellon Lawrence
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 10, 2010
          How is Ubuntu Server working in production for you?

          http://xai-tec.blogspot.com/

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 10, 2010
            In case you meant me and not Carrol, I don't typically use Ubuntu in
            production. I'm forced to use RHEL.

          • carroll cole
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 28, 2010
              Sorry. Have not checked my mail for a while. the only sever software i
              have used besides ubuntu is sco openserver 5. I like ubuntu because of
              its simplicity and bare bones approach.