Fw: [nylug-talk] Join July Global Linux via VOIP Free SW HW Culture Mtgs - BerkeleyTIP-Global

  • Deosaran Bisnath
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2010

      --- On Sat, 7/3/10, giovanni_re <john_re@...> wrote:

      From: giovanni_re <john_re@...>
      Subject: [nylug-talk] Join July Global Linux via VOIP Free SW HW Culture Mtgs - BerkeleyTIP-Global
      To: nylug-talk@...
      Date: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 8:53 AM

      Watch some videos. Mark your calendar. Invite your friends.
      Join in on IRC or Voice.  Join the mailing list, say "Hi.  :)"

      =====  1)  2010.7 Videos:
      Motorola Droid Metro PCS Apps, makeitcricket.com
      How to write VOIP client in less then 2 minutes, rpdammu
      Open Wonderland virtual worlds platform, Nicole Yankelovich, iED
      How to Succeed in Mobile, Girl Geek Dinner, Kris Corzine
      Schizophrenic Firewalls - virtualized net stack OpenBSD, Claudio Jeker
      Using KDE Marble to research your next vacation, Justin Kirby
      Meet Google Founder Larry Page, Google Faculty Summit 2009
      Building the Python Community, Steve Holden, PyCon 2010
      How Python, TurboGears, and MongoDB are Transforming SourceForge.net,
        Rick Copeland, PyCon
      Introducing Numpy Arrays, unpingco

      http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/talk-videos/2010-7-videos

      ==  July Meetings  -  Mark your calendar:
      3 Sat 12N-3P PST = 3-6P EST = 19-22 UTC
      12 Mon  5 -6P PST = 8-9P EST =  0- 1 UTC Tues 13
      18 Sun 12N-3P PST = 3-6P EST = 19-22 UTC
      27 Tue  5 -6P PST = 8-9P EST =  0- 1 UTC Wed 28

      =====
      You're invited to join in with the friendly people at the BerkeleyTIP
      global meeting  -  newbie to Ph.D. -  everyone is invited.

      Get a headset & join using VOIP online, or come to Berkeley.

      1st step: Join the mailing list:
      http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

      Watch the videos.  Discuss them on VOIP.
      10 great videos/talks this month.

      Join with us at the Golden Bear Cafe, Upper Sproul Plaza, UCB
      at the University of California at Berkeley,
      or join from your home via VOIP,
      or send this email locally, create a local meeting, & join via VOIP:
        Tip: a wifi cafe is a great place to meet. :)

      PLEASE VIEW THE BTIP WEBSITE & MAILING LIST FOR LATEST DETIALS.
      http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip

      BerkeleyTIP  -  Educational, Productive, Social
      For Learning about, Sharing, & Producing, All Free SW HW & Culture.
      TIP ==  Talks, Installfest, Project & Programming Party

      =====  CONTENTS:  1) 2010 JULY VIDEOS;  2) 2010 JULY MEETING DAYS,
      TIMES, LOCATIONS;  3) LOCAL MEETING AT U. C. Berkeley;
      4) HOT TOPICS;  5) PLEASE  RSVP  PROBABILISTICALLY, THANKS :) ;
      6) INSTALLFEST;  7) ARRIVING FIRST AT THE MEETING: MAKE A
      "BerkeleyTIP" SIGN;  8) IRC: #berkeleytip  on  irc.freenode.net; 9) VOIP
      FOR GLOBAL MEETING;  10) VOLUNTEERING, TO DOs;  11) MAILING LISTS:
      BerkeleyTIP-Global, LocalBerkeley, Announce;  12) ANYTHING I FORGOT TO
      MENTION?;  13) FOR FORWARDING

      =====  1)   -  See videos list at top of this email.
      Thanks to all the speakers, organizations, & videographers. :)
      [Please alert the speakers that their talks are scheduled for
      BTIP (if you are with the group that recorded their talk), because I may
      not have time to do that.  Thanks. :)  ]

      Download & watch these talks before the BTIP meetings. Discuss at the
      meeting.

      Email the mailing list, tell us what videos you'll watch & want to
      discuss.

      Know any other video sources? - please email me.

      _Your_ group should video record & post online your meeting's talks!

      =====  2)  2010 JULY MEETING DAYS, TIMES, LOCATIONS
      http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/schedule
      http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/directions

      In person meetings on 1st Saturday & 3rd Sunday, every month.
      July 3 & 18, 12N-3P USA-Pacific time, Saturday, Sunday
      July 3  = Golden Bear Cafe, Upper Sproul Plaza, UCB
      July 18 = Free Speech Cafe, Moffitt Library, UCB

      Online only meeting using VOIP - 9 days after weekend meetings:
      July 12 & 27, 5-6P   USA-Pacific time, Monday, Tuesday

      Mark your calendars.

      =====  3)  LOCAL MEETING AT  U. C. BERKELEY
      http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/directions

      RSVP please.  See below.  It greatly helps my planning.  But, _do_ come
      if you forgot to RSVP.

      ALWAYS BE SURE TO CHECK THE BTIP WEBSITE _&_ MAILING LIST FOR THE LATEST
      LAST MINUTE DETAILS & CHANGES, BEFORE COMING TO THE MEETING! :)

      DO BRING A VOIP HEADSET, available for $10-30 at most electronics retail
      stores, & a laptop computer, so you are able to communicate with the
      global BTIP community via VOIP.  It is highly recommended that you have
      a voip headset, & not rely on a laptop's built in microphone & speakers,
      because the headphones keep the noise level down.  Bringing a headset is
      not required, but is a great part of the being able to communicate with
      the global community. :)

      Clothing: Typically 55-80 degrees F.  Weather:
      http://www.wunderground.com/auto/sfgate/CA/Berkeley.html

      Other location local meeting possibilities:
      http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/local-meetings
      Create a local meeting in your town. Invite your friends.  :)

      =====  4)  HOT TOPICS
      Android phones - Besting iPhone? worthwhile? How knowable is the hw?
      iPad, iPhone4 & iPod- rooting & running GNU(Linux)
      Skype for group video conferencing?
      Open Wonderland virtual worlds platform

      =====  5)  PLEASE  RSVP  PROBABILISTICALLY, THANKS  :)
      If you think there is a >70% chance ("likely") you'll come to the in
      person meeting in Berkeley, please RSVP to me. Thanks.  It helps my
      planning.  Please _do_ come even if you haven't RSVP'd, it's not
      required.

      Better yet, join the BerkeleyTIP-Global mailing list, send the RSVP
      there, & tell us what things you're interested in, or what videos you'll
      try to watch - so we can know what videos are popular, & we might watch
      them too. :)
      http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

      =====  6)  INSTALLFEST
      Get help installing & using Free Software, Hardware & Culture.
      Laptops only, typically.  There isn't easy access for physically
      bringing desktop boxes here.

      RSVP _HIGHLY RECOMMENDED_ if you want installfest help.  Please RSVP to
      me, Giovanni, at the from address for this announcement, or better, join
      & send email to the BTIP-Global mailing list telling us what you'd like
      help with.  This way we can be better prepared to help you, & you might
      get valuable advice from the mailing list members.

      If you are new to using free software, an excellent system would be the
      KUbuntu GNU(Linux) software.  It is very comprehensive, fairly easy to
      use (similar to Windows or Mac), & suitable for personal, home,
      university, or business use.

      We are also glad to try to help people with software who join via VOIP.
      Please email the mailing list with requests that you want help with, so
      we can try to be prepared better to help you.

      Installfest volunteers/helpers always welcome, in person, or via VOIP.
      :)

      =====  7)  ARRIVING FIRST AT THE MEETING:  MAKE A "BerkeleyTIP" SIGN
      If you get to the meeting & don't see a "BerkeleyTIP" sign up yet,
      please:
      1) Make a BTIP sign on an 8x11 paper & put it at your table,
      2) Email the mailing list, or join on IRC, & let us know you are there.

      Ask someone if you could use their computer for a minute to look
      something up, or send an email.  People are usually very friendly &
      willing to help.  We can also email you a temporary guest AirBears
      account login.

      We will have wifi guest accounts available for BTIP attendees.  Be sure
      you have wifi capable equipment.  Be Prepared: Bring a multi-outlet
      extension power cord.

      =====  8)  IRC:  #berkeleytip  on  irc.freenode.net
      For help with anything, especially how to get VOIP working, & text
      communication.

      =====  9)  VOIP FOR GLOBAL MEETING
      Speak & listen to everyone globally using VOIP.
      Get a headset!  See some VOIP instructions here:
      http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/voice-voip-conferencing

      ===== 10)  VOLUNTEERING, TO DOs
      Enjoy doing or learning something(s)?  Help out BTIP in that area.
      Website development, mailing list management, video locating, VOIP
      server (FreeSwitch, Asterisk) or client (Ekiga, SFLPhone,...), creating
      a local meeting.  Join the mailing list & let us know.  Your offers of
      free help are always welcome here. :)

      Everyone should join the BerkeleyTIP-Global list:
      http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal
      Say "hi", tell us your interests, & what videos you'll like to watch.

      Info on all lists here:

      =====  12)  ANYTHING I FORGOT TO MENTION?
      Please join & email the BerkeleyTIP-Global mailing list.

      =====  13)  FOR FORWARDING
      You are invited to forward this message anywhere it would be
      appreciated.
      Better yet, use it to create a local meeting.  Invite & get together
      with your friends locally, & join in with us all globally. :)

      Looking forward to meeting with you in person, or online. :)

      Giovanni

      ==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture