Fw: Linux Forums eNews - Good stuff

  • Deosaran Bisnath
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2010

      --- On Wed, 6/30/10, Linux Forums eNews <news@...> wrote:

      From: Linux Forums eNews <news@...>
      Subject: Linux Forums eNews
      To: "Subscriber" <deobisnath@...>
      Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 7:00 PM

      Free IT Publications

      A Complete Beginner's Manual for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)
      The Incredible Guide to NEW Ubuntu (Karmic Koala)
      The GNU/Linux Advanced Administration
      A Newbie's Getting Started Guide to Linux
      Run Your Own Web Server Using Linux & Apache - Free 191 Page Preview

      More Free Magazines and Whitepapers »

      Latest Linux Forums Posts

      Funny comments in distros.
      Source: Linux Forums - June 30th, 2010

      In another thread it was mentioned that if you read the comments in file of some distro's you find some either funny or strange things commented. ...

      Read more

      Hi, I'm new
      Source: Linux Forums - June 30th, 2010

      Heyhey

      I'm new to the forums, but not so new to linux. I've made my laptop a dual boot, which I try to see as a temporary solution until I can get...

      Read more

      Runescape grey screen
      Source: Linux Forums - June 30th, 2010

      Hey there,

      I've been messing around to try and play runescape (Java based) on my laptop. I run Lucid Lynx (in dualboot with vista) and have Java...

      Read more

      linux filesystem
      Source: Linux Forums - June 30th, 2010

      hi

      can anybody clarify my doubts

      what is the difference between swap , tmpfs and sysfs filesystem??

      also

      what is the use of /dev/pts and...

      Read more

      dual boot
      Source: Linux Forums - June 30th, 2010

      sir, i could not change the sequence of dual booting from the grub menu.lst, due to it shows a blank screen when i put the command in the...

      Read more

      Go to the forums »

      Linux News

      New project leader wears the Fedora
      Source: LXer Linux News - June 30th, 2010

      Paul Frields, who has been getting his paycheck from Red Hat to run the Fedora development Linux variant since 2008, is moving back inside the company to work on Enterprise Linux, and an outsider named Jared Smith is being brought in as the new Fedora Project Leader. Frields joined Red Hat in February 2008, replacing Max Spevack, another Red Hat employee who ran the open source Linux development product from February 2006 until Frields took over. Smith will take over the FPL position (which is a full-time job with a Red Hat paycheck) to steer the development of Fedora 14, something that Frields already got the ball rolling on.

      Read more

      MeeGo tablet unveiled in China
      Source: LXer Linux News - June 30th, 2010

      Red Flag Software has demonstrated a 10.1-inch tablet running its new MeeGo Linux version of Midinux 3.0 on an Intel Moorestown Z6xx processor, says Tech.qq. Equipped with Wi-Fi and 3G, the NPad tablet will go on sale in the third quarter, says the report.

      Read more

      Like Experimenting With Your Desktop? Try Ubuntu Sugar Remix
      Source: LXer Linux News - June 30th, 2010

      Sugar desktop environment was originally conceptualized to become the default desktop for OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) project. Sugar desktop is designed with the goal of being used by children for learning. The original Sugar desktop environment was repackaged and remixed for Ubuntu and it was called Ubuntu Sugar Remix.

      Read more

      Open Source Channel Alliance: Surprisingly Silent
      Source: LXer Linux News - June 30th, 2010

      When Red Hat, Synnex and a dozen major open source application providers launched the Open Source Channel Alliance in April 2009, it appeared to be a watershed event. But fast forward to mid-2010, and the Open Source Channel Alliance has been largely silent in recent months. Here’s the update.

      Read more

      Red Hat fights Microsoft for cloud profits
      Source: LXer Linux News - June 30th, 2010

      If making money from open source was hard, extracting it from clouds might prove to be even more difficult. Particularly when your main rival on the x64 server is none other than Microsoft. Red Hat got its start as Linux magazine publisher that tucked a Linux CD in the back, and then evolved into the largest commercial Linux distributor in the world. The company added middleware from JBoss and created other middleware, such as its Enterprise MRG messaging, grid and realtime Linux variant, and virtualization software for desktops and servers. And now it has to position itself as an alternative to Microsoft as the platform upon which customers can build x64-based clouds.

      Read more

      More androids: Samsung's Galaxy S coming to four US carriers
      Source: Open Ended - June 29th, 2010

      Read more

      FFmpeg gets its own implementation of Google's VP8 codec
      Source: Open Ended - June 29th, 2010

      Read more

      Australia's Largest ISP Ditches Linux Mirror
      Source: Slashdot: Linux - June 26th, 2010

      Read more

      Hemisphere Games Reveals Osmos Linux Sales Numbers
      Source: Slashdot: Linux - June 25th, 2010

      Read more

      Cisco Plans Business Tablet for Mobile Collaboration
      (NewsFactor)
      Source: Yahoo! News: Linux/Open Source - June 29th, 2010

      Read more

      Mozilla Posts First Pre-Release Code For Firefox 4
      (PC Magazine)
      Source: Yahoo! News: Linux/Open Source - June 29th, 2010

      Read more

      Industry News

      Sony to recall half-million laptops on heat risk
      Source: CNET News.com - June 30th, 2010

      Read more

      Virgin America north of the border (photos)
      Source: CNET News.com - June 30th, 2010

      Read more

      Cisco Announces the Cius, the BlackBerry of Tablets
      Source: Wired Top Stories - June 30th, 2010

      Read more

      You Think Your Commute Sucks?
      Source: Wired Top Stories - June 30th, 2010

      Read more

      Feature: Small is beautiful: put a cell tower in your house
      Source: News - June 29th, 2010

      Read more

      Etc:
      In its first five days, the Windows Live Messenger app for iPhone has crossed the one million download mark.
      Source: News - June 29th, 2010

      Read more

      Do you have an extensive knowledge of Linux just waiting to be shared with the world? Now you can, and we've made it super easy too! Submit your article today! Once you've posted your article, you'll have a chance to win a great prize for your efforts. So share your unique insights and become a Linux rock star!

      © Copyright 2010 MAS Media Inc.

      MAS Media

      2711 Centreville Road

      Suite 400