FW: [ooo-announce] OpenOffice.org's Community Council responds to the FSF

    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2010
      FYI

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Charles-H. Schulz [mailto:charles-h.schulz@...]
      Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2010 10:41 AM
      To: announce@...
      Subject: [ooo-announce] OpenOffice.org's Community Council responds to
      the FSF

      OpenOffice.org is one of the most popular products of the FOSS
      (Free/Open
      Source) community, and for many millions of people it is their first
      experience of FOSS. Key to OpenOffice.org's success has been its ability
      to compete openly and freely with competitors on any platform, and
      demonstrate that FOSS is a better choice.

      Uniquely among leading office suites, OpenOffice.org provides a
      mechanism
      for developers to build and release "extensions" to provide additional
      features. Extensions can be added and removed at will by users, giving
      them the freedom to tailor their own copy of OpenOffice.org to do what
      they need to do. The OpenOffice.org Community has created a common
      repository where users can select and download extensions.

      The OpenOffice.org Community Council has been asked by the FSF to give
      the
      FSF an effective veto over which extensions should be permitted to
      appear
      in this repository. The Community Council has felt unable to do this. We
      believe passionately that FOSS delivers better software - including
      extensions, but that users must be free to make the comparison and reach
      their own conclusion.

      It is a fact that the vast majority of our users currently run
      OpenOffice.org on a proprietary operating system, alongside other
      proprietary software. We respect their choice, and believe the best way
      influence them to change is by delivering high quality FOSS software
      that
      meets their needs.

      The OpenOffice.org Community Council regrets that the FSF was unable to
      accept our compromise proposals for a more clearly signposted extensions
      repository. We believe the creation of an alternative repository will
      cause confusion and will lead to a poorer experience for users. However,
      we are more than happy to work with the FSF to encourage FOSS developers
      to address areas where proprietary only solutions exist.

      The OpenOffice.org Community Council
      http://council.openoffice.org