(Open)Solaris Meet & Greet this Friday at 6:00 PM - J. Malone's @ MovieTown

  • Khyron
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2010
      I'm still working on a reservation for that time, but I am fully intent to
      hold this
      event on Friday evening, as promised. I'm even feeling a bit charitable,
      and
      if this holds then at least 2 rounds of drinks are on me for anyone there in
      the
      first hour. If I can make it without getting lynched, maybe I'll pay for
      even more!

      ;)

      Hope to see you all there!

      --
      "You can choose your friends, you can choose the deals." - Equity Private

      "If Linux is faster, it's a Solaris bug." - Phil Harman

      Blog - http://whatderass.blogspot.com/
      Twitter - @khyron4eva

    • Khyron
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2010
        I'd like to thank everyone who came out for what I hope will be the 2nd
        of many OpenSolaris events that the Caribbean Community OpenSolaris
        Users Group will hold. Everyone seemed to learn something new and
        be generally excited about the topics discussed, especially ZFS. When
        next we have an official demo with actual prepared demonstrations (as
        opposed to on-the-fly demos), it should be even better.

        For those who attended who wondered why it took a reboot for the disk
        to be noticed as removed after I blew it away, it's because we were
        running OpenSolaris in a VM which had no actual hardware support for
        failure detection, and using regular files (in place of physical disks) as
        the devices in the ZFS pool. In a proper storage array that reports disk
        status up to the operating system, the failure would have been noticed
        immediately. Using disk files does not support reporting that information
        to the fault management system, disk drivers, and other hardware
        systems which are responsible for managing that process. Maybe in the
        future we can get an actual disk array and show how it works in real time
        but that was not due to OpenSolaris. It was the use of regular sparse
        files instead of real disks.

        I'll leave you all with the references I sent out yesterday, and if you have

        questions, let me know. As I said, we'll do this again, I promise. (I just

        don't know when yet.)