[x-post] Solaris Is Dead. Long Live Linux.

  • Vasudev Seeram
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2010
      Solaris Is Dead. Long Live Linux.

      Hot on the heels of acquiring Sun, Oracle has changed the license for Solaris making it non-free once again. In a time like this, such a move can only be fatal and of course ultimately beneficial to Linux.

      We are all waiting to see just exactly what Oracle will do with the late Sun’s assets. Now we are starting to see some of the picture loud and clear.

      Linux has certainly revolutionized the computer industry. What was once the domain of expensive, proprietary Unix systems now belongs to our favorite operating system. With big players like IBM making the decision to support Linux, it has effectively killed off its proprietary competition. Google’s entire network runs on Linux, as does the majority of the Internet.

      http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7749/1.html
    • Ansar Mohammed
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2010
        Its really going to hit the fan if they start charging "a nominal fee" for
        JDK/JRE downloads...

        Solaris has been dying for some time.. Sun clearly did not have a strategy
        for the OS.
        Solaris 7 Free for non commercial use
        Solaris 8 Free
        Solaris 9 no x86 and not free anymore... then the community complains and
        x86 is back on the table and free again
        Solaris 10 free again and now we have" OpenSolairs" to muddy the waters a
        bit... whats the difference?

        Linux and AIX were both causing catastrophic damage to Solaris deployments
        worldwide..

        I have been involved in several Windows deployments where our customers were
        ripping out entire deployments of Sun, (CAD workstations, Servers, SunRays)
        and replacing them with Windows...

        Just last month I was involved in a project to migrate from existing Sun
        Directory Services to Active Directory.

        Last January I picked up 5 Blade workstations from a University in Toronto
        that was throwing them out (literally), and what do you think they bought to
        replace them with..

        Of course there will continue to be new deployments, Solaris has an immense
        presence in telecoms provider space.. but even that is slowly eroding..

        Check out the netcraft web server survey results..
        http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

        Its sad really, it is such a great operating system.