Re: [ttlug] Re: Possible open source project

  • Allan Samaroo
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2010
      Nice...then perhaps you can liaise with a secondary school or community
      college that offers Computer Science. Maybe they would like to
      collaborate as a special project for final year students....GIS is a
      sweet topic as it's still relatively new and the "developed" countries
      have done wonders with the technology so I'm sure they'll bite....

      The government is uses some form of GIS mapping in their land valuation,
      surveys and mapping divisions etc....have you approached the THA in this
      regard?

      joepub1962 wrote:
      > Thanks for the advice....
      > One of the reasons for bringing my idea to this group.was that I am hoping that some of you might be interested or know if people who might be interested in a project of this kind....
      >
      > As I may have mentioned previously, this to be a community project. I see this as a great way of exposing and teaching high school students programming various aspects of software...

    • joepub1962
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2, 2010
        I do plan to talk to the THA folks when I visit this summer... Some of the senior civil service staff I went to school with so hopefully they'll take me seriously...
        Didn't think of the community college angle.. will look into that.. thanks

        I'll been in touch with a couple people in the GIS unit at the census division.... Requested data so I could put together a demo showing some of the things that can be done with the software... but have not had any luck...

        If any of you know anyone who maybe interested, please have them contact me

        Thanks