Re: Tech] [Fwd: A call for help!]

  • donnyr10@carib-link.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2001
      > They're doing this to crack down on the Internet Phone clients
      which
      > are cutting into their long-distance market.

      .......Maybe not Adrian, because remember that TSTT,
      has a Toll free number for ISP Dial up, therefore
      that may not be their real target, my hunch is that
      S.Martin, is getting ready for competition, and
      many shareholders will be screaming, when their fat pockets,
      just get a wee bit slimmer...and the raping of the T&T
      population, becomes smaller in target, ...
      I guess he has to get the money from somewhere right <grin>

      I've been talking to some friends in Barbados (Starcom Network)

      1) No Local Tele Fees - Just a Monthly fee of about $20.00 (Domestic)
      2) No fee for Internet Dial up...

      So why we can't get something like that here..we all know the answer
      ......................TSTT...

      And can someone tell me why the HELL does the rest of the ISP's
      have to go through TSTT, I swear if I hear this is a Ragbir thing..
      I'll flip.........

      I don't really know if by how much we can avoid this rate increase,
      but it looks like EVERYONE will have TSTT Internet Service, if the
      ISP's can't get a Toll free system going, and I guess that'll be
      another royalty paid to TSTT...so you see the cycle <sigh>

      And we bang on Microsoft...."LOL"...TSTT's right here !!

      Later
      Don....
    • richjob@carib-link.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2001
        Sorry about that.

        Morning brainfart.

        On 8 Feb 2001, at 10:11, Adrian J. Chung wrote:

        > > I ain't on TSTT, but I imagine that the debate would have relevance
        > > for TTLUG as we are moderate to heavy Internet users.
        >
        > How can you not be on TSTT? TSTT is a monopoly. Everyone has to use
        > them unless you have no phone.
        >
        > They're doing this to crack down on the Internet Phone clients which
        > are cutting into their long-distance market. (InterNet Phones allow
        > one to make long distance phonecalls over an internet connection which
        > currently is just the cost of a local call + ISP fees).
        >
        > The same debate occurred in the US three years ago, but the FTC break
        > up of AT&T and the subsequent deregulation of the long distance market
        > has effectively thwarted any European-like phone charges being
        > adopted. (In Europe people pay per minute for local calls. No wonder
        > Internet growth is slow in the EC) The telecoms are now competing on
        > who can bring affordable and reliable broadband to the most consumers,
        > thus allowing not only voice over IP (Internet Protocol - i.e. phone,
        > radio, etc) but also high quality video.
        >

        > Adrian

        Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago.
        http://chanderspot.go.to ICQ 5183191

        In Trinidad and Tobago and want to use Linux?
        http://ttlug.linux.co.tt
        http://www.linux.co.tt/php/linux.php3