Re: [ttlug] Re: For those doing kernel compiles...

  • Falina Baksh
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 8 7:11 AM
      That would depend on what you're using your server for. Generally you don't
      go around plugging "some piece of hardware" into your servers.
      Also, SSDs aren't that cheap to come by..so the speed is welcomed by most.

      Rgds,
      Falina

    • Falina Baksh
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 8 7:13 AM
        72-pin DIMMS on a printer!! Holy Smokes...I feel like a baby now :S

        On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Calvin Harrigan <charriglists@...

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 8 7:14 AM
          eg. USB hard drive for an emergency backup.

          /Stephen

          On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Falina Baksh <bakshfalina@...> wrote:

          > That would depend on what you're using your server for. Generally you don't
          > go around plugging "some piece of hardware" into your servers.
          > Also, SSDs aren't that cheap to come by..so the speed is welcomed by most.
          >
          > On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Stephen Sankarsingh
          > <stephentnt@... <stephentnt%40gmail.com>>wrote:
          >
          > > I can see custom kernels being useful for phones, cameras, networking
          > > appliances and other embedded systems but compiling just to boot a
          > desktop
          > > slightly faster in the age of SSDs seems anti-intuitive to me. Neither do
          > > like the idea of having to reboot a server just because I didn't think I
          > > needed support for some piece of hardware which would have otherwise been
          > > hot-pluggable with a vanilla kernel.
          > >
          > > /Stephen
          > >
          > > On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:09 AM, fs2_beem <fs2_beem@...<fs2_beem%40yahoo.co.uk>>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > > The kernel won't run faster.
          > > > It will save time buy NOT compiling unecessary modules which you do not
          > > > need.
          > > >
          > > > It stands to reason that you _will_ want to make sure all modules are
          > > > loaded for your intended hardware. I say this because I have
          > blacklisted
          > > my
          > > > e100 module because I _never_ use the ethernet port; but thats not to
          > say
          > > > might not in future.
          > > > In short just make sure all your hardware is 'active'
          > > >
          > > > If you are using this method for a custom server/app this will greatly
          > > > reduce your configuration time, boot time etc
          > > >
          > > > --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com> <TTLUG%
          > 40yahoogroups.com>, Richard Bailey

          > http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_32#head-11f54cdac41ad6150ef817fd68597554d9d05a5f

          > But
          > > > some
          > > > they like
          > your
          > > > own
          > > > there're too
          > if
          > > > you
          > > > file,

          > > > been
          > > > loaded
          > map
          > > > which
          > > > Finally, it
          > needed
          > > > distro
          > > machine,
          > > > and
          > > additional
          > > > "make
          > and/or

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Rgds,
          > Falina

        • Falina Baksh
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 8 7:17 AM
            We would hope you would compile your kernel with USB Drivers...

            Rgds,
            Falina

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 8 7:27 AM
              It's just an example. Beside I didn't need them at the time. Right?

              In some cases now that I've recompiled the kernel on my server, I'll have to
              go through user acceptance testing to ensure my other applications still
              work as expected :(

              Also, I don't think that RedHat/Suse support custom kernels.

              /Stephen

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 8 7:29 AM
                If you want to maintain your support contract I'm sure they don't.

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 8 9:48 AM
                  Yep, they most definitely won't support custom kernels or custom anything.
                  Also, depending on what Applications you are running some companies won't
                  give you support if they get an inkling that you're not running standard
                  build.

                  If you're building a custom kernel for a production environment you're
                  probably going to have to take some time to figure out what you need and
                  what you may need in the future.

                  If you're in a virtual environment and you can get your DNS or DHCP Server
                  to run happily on 64Mbs ram its definitely worth stripping down.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 8 10:04 AM