TTLUG Meet'n'Greet Session on Thursday 15th October at J. Malone's in MovieTowne

  • Vasudev Seeram
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 12, 2009
      The Trinidad and Tobago Linux Users Group shall be having a "Meet'n'Greet" session on Thursday 15th October 2009 at J. Malone's Irish Pub in MovieTowne.

      Date: Thursday 15th October 2009

      Time: 6:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.

      Venue: J. Malone's in MovieTowne

      Come let's kick back in a relaxing environment as we network and blah about Linux, computing and everything.

      This month, attendees shall receive a FREE copy of the latest version of the Knoppix live CD distro. Due to the limited number of CDs available, the CDs shall be distributed to attendees on a first-come, first-served basis. Additional copies are available at TT$50.00 per CD.

      As is customary, attendees are expected to pick up their own tab (unless someone wants to sponsor...).

      All are welcome. See you there!
    • Nissan Dookeran
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 12, 2009
        Hey guys,
        Vas has inspired me.

        For the first set of people who pop up to the Meet'n'Greet I'll sponsor one
        pitcher of Carib/Stag or soft drink (depending on preference).

        This will be out of my own pocket, but since Vas is doing the Linux distros
        out of his own pocket, this is the least I can contribute as well.

        I'll also be bringing my laptop which I recently loaded with the latest
        OpenSuse Linux and if there's interest give an impromptu demo of how I
        configured it for me to get up and running quickly for learning Ruby on
        Rails.

        If you want a copy of OpenSuse please email me before-hand so I can burn a
        copy for you as well. A token drink at the Meet'n'Greet on collection would
        be sufficient thanks for burning this :)

        See you guys there!

        -Nissan

        --
        Nissan Dookeran
        http://blog.redditech.com

        The Law of Motion & Responsibility:
        If you are neither learning nor contributing you are needed elsewhere.

      • Falina Baksh
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 12, 2009
          Hey Nissan,

          Good to have more incentives, the demo sounds like a really good plan.

          I fired off an event to a couple people in my circle, I have about 5 or 6
          people who confirmed and around 3 who's not sure. Worse case scenario I
          should have about 3 people actually showing up.

          Seeing that you and Vas got the ball running, I'll happily sponsor the 2nd
          pitcher :)

          I know this is the 2nd or 3rd event, but if we manage to pull of a decent
          sized crowd maybe we can speak with the management at J'Malones and try to
          incite them to give us drink specials for our crew with the promise of
          bringing in business for them.
          We could also offer them additional publicity by placing their Logo on the
          M'n'G event invitations on the mailing list, facebook group and the website.

          Let me know what you guys think.

          Rgds,
          Falina

          On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Nissan Dookeran <nissan.dookeran@...

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 12, 2009
            Falina,

            You read my mind... I thought that was going to be my big idea......

            However, would that mean we would have to develop formal membership to TTLUG i.e. get TTLUG cards to identify TTLUG members to be eligible for the TTLUG discount at J. Malone's?

            Perhaps I am thinking too far ahead, let's just see if J.Malone's would even be open to the idea of giving us a discount!

            V.

            On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Nissan Dookeran <nissan.dookeran@ gmail.com

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 12, 2009
              Lol,
              We can chat with them on thurs and see how it goes.

              On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Vasudev Seeram <cavguy101@...>wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > > > CDs shall be distributed to attendees on a first-come, first-served
              >
              > > basis.
              >
              > > > Additional copies are available at TT$50.00 per CD.
              >

              > > > As is customary, attendees are expected to pick up their own tab
              > (unless
              >
              > > > someone wants to sponsor...).
              >

              > > > All are welcome. See you there!
              >

              > > --
              >
              > > Nissan Dookeran
              >
              > > http://blog. redditech. com
              >
              > > http://redditech. blogspot. com
              >
              > > http://redditech. wordpress. com
              >
              > > ----
              >
              > > "Find a problem. Figure out how to solve the problem. Find more people
              >
              > > with the same problem and you have a business."
              >
              > > (Gary Schoeniger, founder of the Entrepreneurial Learning Initiative)
              >

              > > The Law of Motion & Responsibility:
              >
              > > If you are neither learning nor contributing you are needed elsewhere.

              Rgds,
              Falina

            • Shivan Jaikaran
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 12, 2009
                Anyone going to this meeting coming from the East and willing to lend their
                support via transport can email me offlist. Thanks.

                Regards,
                Shivan Jaikaran
                http://www.shivanjaikaran.com

                2009/10/12 Falina Baksh <bakshfalina@...>

> [...]
                > >

                > > > 2009/10/12 Vasudev Seeram <cavguy101@yahoo. com <cavguy101%40yahoo.
                > > com>>

                > > > "Meet'n'Greet"

                > > > about

                > > of

                > available,
                > >
                > > > the

                > > > basis.

                > > (unless

                > > > --
                > >
                > > > Nissan Dookeran
                > >
                > > > http://blog. redditech. com
                > >
                > > > http://redditech. blogspot. com
                > >
                > > > http://redditech. wordpress. com
                > >
                > > > ----
                > >
                > > > "Find a problem. Figure out how to solve the problem. Find more people
                > >
                > > > with the same problem and you have a business."
                > >
                > > > (Gary Schoeniger, founder of the Entrepreneurial Learning Initiative)
                > >

                > > > The Law of Motion & Responsibility:
                > >
                > > > If you are neither learning nor contributing you are needed elsewhere.

              • Vasudev Seeram
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 16, 2009
                  Thanks to all those who attended yesterday's Meet'n'Greet Session. We had a great turnout, with a total of fourteen persons in attendance. These were: Falina Baksh, Nissan Dookeran, Rellon Lawrence, Sean Roebuck, Blayne Farinha, Jeremy Teemul, Lawrence Sinanan, Ray Dookie, Andre Corbie, Orlando Smith, William Cooper and myself, together with Adesh and Tamara.

                  I'd also like to acknowledge those who contributed to making the event a success: Falina (who bore the cost of downloading and burning Knoppix CDs), Nissan (for sponsoring two pitchers of beer, demoing OpenSuse and providing updates to his blog) and William, who donated $100.00 towards the final bill. The PDF handout I created to accompany the CD shall be uploaded to the wiki page.

                  Thanks again for making the event a success. Thoughts and suggestions for improving the event are welcome.

                  Regards,

                  Vasudev.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 16, 2009
                    I must say it was time well spent :)

                    http://xai-tec.blogspot.com/
                    rellonlawrence@...
                    rellonlawrence@...

                    GOD HAS THE MASTER PLAN

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 17, 2009
                      Kudos as well to Vas, who continues to drive this TTLUG event every month
                      (at his own cost outside of other donations given and in his own time
                      outside of work I might add). I encourage everyone to join us at this
                      monthly event if not to meet some new people and talk about some interesting
                      topics of your choosing, then to simply show your support for unselfish
                      effort made by folks in organising the event.
                      -Nissan

                      2009/10/16 Vasudev Seeram <cavguy101@...>

                      > Thanks to all those who attended yesterday's Meet'n'Greet Session. We had a
                      > great turnout, with a total of fourteen persons in attendance. These were:
                      > Falina Baksh, Nissan Dookeran, Rellon Lawrence, Sean Roebuck, Blayne
                      > Farinha, Jeremy Teemul, Lawrence Sinanan, Ray Dookie, Andre Corbie, Orlando
                      > Smith, William Cooper and myself, together with Adesh and Tamara.
                      >
                      > I'd also like to acknowledge those who contributed to making the event a
                      > success: Falina (who bore the cost of downloading and burning Knoppix CDs),
                      > Nissan (for sponsoring two pitchers of beer, demoing OpenSuse and providing
                      > updates to his blog) and William, who donated $100.00 towards the final
                      > bill. The PDF handout I created to accompany the CD shall be uploaded to the
                      > wiki page.
                      >
                      > Thanks again for making the event a success. Thoughts and suggestions for
                      > improving the event are welcome.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Vasudev.
                      >
                      > --- On Mon, 10/12/09, Vasudev Seeram <cavguy101@...<cavguy101%40yahoo.com>>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > From: Vasudev Seeram <cavguy101@... <cavguy101%40yahoo.com>>
                      > Subject: [ttlug] TTLUG Meet'n'Greet Session on Thursday 15th October at J.
                      > Malone's in MovieTowne
                      > To: TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > Date: Monday, October 12, 2009, 11:39 AM
                      >

                      > The Trinidad and Tobago Linux Users Group shall be having a "Meet'n'Greet"
                      > session on Thursday 15th October 2009 at J. Malone's Irish Pub in
                      > MovieTowne.
                      >
                      > Date: Thursday 15th October 2009
                      >
                      > Time: 6:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.
                      >
                      > Venue: J. Malone's in MovieTowne
                      >
                      > Come let's kick back in a relaxing environment as we network and blah about
                      > Linux, computing and everything.
                      >
                      > This month, attendees shall receive a FREE copy of the latest version of
                      > the Knoppix live CD distro. Due to the limited number of CDs available, the
                      > CDs shall be distributed to attendees on a first-come, first-served basis.
                      > Additional copies are available at TT$50.00 per CD.
                      >
                      > As is customary, attendees are expected to pick up their own tab (unless
                      > someone wants to sponsor...).
                      >
                      > All are welcome. See you there!

                      Nissan Dookeran
                      http://blog.redditech.com
                      http://redditech.blogspot.com
                      http://redditech.wordpress.com
                      ----
                      "Find a problem. Figure out how to solve the problem. Find more people
                      with the same problem and you have a business."
                      (Gary Schoeniger, founder of the Entrepreneurial Learning Initiative)

                      The Law of Motion & Responsibility:
                      If you are neither learning nor contributing you are needed elsewhere.

                    • Brendon Ballantyne
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 30, 2009
                        Hi guys, I'm sure this has been considered before, but I haven't seen it put into practice effectively, if at all..

                        Businesses and home users purchase hardware/software with much consideration given to after-sales support. That's why Dell invests in their support infrastructure and Microsoft ensures people like us get trained on their software to support their customers. Microsoft also advertises lists of their certified partners to point customers in the right direction.

                        How about the TTLUG copying that model to some extent, where local Linux professionals can be listed on the TTLUG's website to give some measure of reassurance to businesses who wish utilise Linux but don't really know where to start? Issues like listing requirements e.g. formal certification, proof of experience, client reviews etc. should be considered as well. Another place to take ideas from is Crossloop.com (helps people connect with computer experts).

                        I think this is a good way of helping more people get over the fear of something simple going wrong with their Linux system and not being able to find anyone who can help. It's a fear I have too, even though I know some of you Linux pros personally.

                        What do you think?

                        Regards,
                        Brendon

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 30, 2009
                          Sadly, some of us have been working in IT for years without even a
                          certificate that says we are qualified to use MS Office.
                          We call ourselves figure-outerers, not Linux Professionals.
                          All we ever learnt to do was read, use Google and play Starcraft

                          /Stephen

                          On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Brendon Ballantyne <brother_bee@...
                          > wrote:

                          > Hi guys, I'm sure this has been considered before, but I haven't seen it
                          > put into practice effectively, if at all..
                          >
                          > Businesses and home users purchase hardware/software with much
                          > consideration given to after-sales support. That's why Dell invests in their
                          > support infrastructure and Microsoft ensures people like us get trained on
                          > their software to support their customers. Microsoft also advertises lists
                          > of their certified partners to point customers in the right direction.
                          >
                          > How about the TTLUG copying that model to some extent, where local Linux
                          > professionals can be listed on the TTLUG's website to give some measure of
                          > reassurance to businesses who wish utilise Linux but don't really know where
                          > to start? Issues like listing requirements e.g. formal certification, proof
                          > of experience, client reviews etc. should be considered as well. Another
                          > place to take ideas from is Crossloop.com (helps people connect with
                          > computer experts).
                          >
                          > I think this is a good way of helping more people get over the fear of
                          > something simple going wrong with their Linux system and not being able to
                          > find anyone who can help. It's a fear I have too, even though I know some of
                          > you Linux pros personally.
                          >
                          > What do you think?
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Brendon

                        • Shivan Jaikaran
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 30, 2009
                            This is a good idea....and the good thing about the TTLUG's website is that
                            anyone can go on and update the website. So feel free to do so...

                            maybe start off by creating a page, give it an appropriate title. It should
                            show up on the homepage right after that.

                            2009/10/30 Brendon Ballantyne <brother_bee@...>

                            > Hi guys, I'm sure this has been considered before, but I haven't seen it
                            > put into practice effectively, if at all..
                            >
                            > Businesses and home users purchase hardware/software with much
                            > consideration given to after-sales support. That's why Dell invests in their
                            > support infrastructure and Microsoft ensures people like us get trained on
                            > their software to support their customers. Microsoft also advertises lists
                            > of their certified partners to point customers in the right direction.
                            >
                            > How about the TTLUG copying that model to some extent, where local Linux
                            > professionals can be listed on the TTLUG's website to give some measure of
                            > reassurance to businesses who wish utilise Linux but don't really know where
                            > to start? Issues like listing requirements e.g. formal certification, proof
                            > of experience, client reviews etc. should be considered as well. Another
                            > place to take ideas from is Crossloop.com (helps people connect with
                            > computer experts).
                            >
                            > I think this is a good way of helping more people get over the fear of
                            > something simple going wrong with their Linux system and not being able to
                            > find anyone who can help. It's a fear I have too, even though I know some of
                            > you Linux pros personally.
                            >
                            > What do you think?
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Brendon

                          • Allan Samaroo
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 30, 2009
                              Good suggestion Shivan. Referring to your previous, what have you SEO'd
                              the TTLUG website for? Have I phrased my question correctly?

                              Allan.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 30, 2009
                                Yup......this has been discussed and considered years before....maybe
                                it's time to re-open the discussion...

                                Brendon Ballantyne wrote:
                                > Hi guys, I'm sure this has been considered before, but I haven't seen it put into practice effectively, if at all..
                                >
                                > Businesses and home users purchase hardware/software with much consideration given to after-sales support. That's why Dell invests in their support infrastructure and Microsoft ensures people like us get trained on their software to support their customers. Microsoft also advertises lists of their certified partners to point customers in the right direction.
                                >
                                > How about the TTLUG copying that model to some extent, where local Linux professionals can be listed on the TTLUG's website to give some measure of reassurance to businesses who wish utilise Linux but don't really know where to start? Issues like listing requirements e.g. formal certification, proof of experience, client reviews etc. should be considered as well. Another place to take ideas from is Crossloop.com (helps people connect with computer experts).
                                >
                                > I think this is a good way of helping more people get over the fear of something simple going wrong with their Linux system and not being able to find anyone who can help. It's a fear I have too, even though I know some of you Linux pros personally.
                                >
                                > What do you think?
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Brendon

                              • kimaniidanieldotcom
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 30, 2009
                                  Good idea.... I've been Linux Plus Certified for years...

                                  KD

                                  On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Allan Samaroo <samaroo@...> wrote:

                                  > Yup......this has been discussed and considered years before....maybe
                                  > it's time to re-open the discussion...
                                  >

                                  > Brendon Ballantyne wrote:
                                  > > Hi guys, I'm sure this has been considered before, but I haven't seen it
                                  > put into practice effectively, if at all..
                                  > >
                                  > > Businesses and home users purchase hardware/software with much
                                  > consideration given to after-sales support. That's why Dell invests in their
                                  > support infrastructure and Microsoft ensures people like us get trained on
                                  > their software to support their customers. Microsoft also advertises lists
                                  > of their certified partners to point customers in the right direction.
                                  > >
                                  > > How about the TTLUG copying that model to some extent, where local Linux
                                  > professionals can be listed on the TTLUG's website to give some measure of
                                  > reassurance to businesses who wish utilise Linux but don't really know where
                                  > to start? Issues like listing requirements e.g. formal certification, proof
                                  > of experience, client reviews etc. should be considered as well. Another
                                  > place to take ideas from is Crossloop.com (helps people connect with
                                  > computer experts).
                                  > >
                                  > > I think this is a good way of helping more people get over the fear of
                                  > something simple going wrong with their Linux system and not being able to
                                  > find anyone who can help. It's a fear I have too, even though I know some of
                                  > you Linux pros personally.
                                  > >
                                  > > What do you think?
                                  > >
                                  > > Regards,
                                  > > Brendon

                                  ---------------------------------------
                                  Kimanii G. Daniel
                                  www.kimaniidaniel.com
                                  Certified Microsoft Professional
                                  Certified Website Designer
                                  Certified Linux Plus
                                  Asterisk Support

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 30, 2009
                                    From the proposal Certification would just be one aspect. Others like
                                    experience and client reviews will apply to you Stephen, no worries.

                                    On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Stephen Sankarsingh
                                    <stephentnt@...>wrote:

                                    > Sadly, some of us have been working in IT for years without even a
                                    > certificate that says we are qualified to use MS Office.
                                    > We call ourselves figure-outerers, not Linux Professionals.
                                    > All we ever learnt to do was read, use Google and play Starcraft
                                    >
                                    > /Stephen
                                    >

                                    > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Brendon Ballantyne <
                                    > brother_bee@... <brother_bee%40hotmail.com>
                                    > > wrote:
                                    >

                                    > > Hi guys, I'm sure this has been considered before, but I haven't seen it
                                    > > put into practice effectively, if at all..
                                    > >
                                    > > Businesses and home users purchase hardware/software with much
                                    > > consideration given to after-sales support. That's why Dell invests in
                                    > their
                                    > > support infrastructure and Microsoft ensures people like us get trained
                                    > on
                                    > > their software to support their customers. Microsoft also advertises
                                    > lists
                                    > > of their certified partners to point customers in the right direction.
                                    > >
                                    > > How about the TTLUG copying that model to some extent, where local Linux
                                    > > professionals can be listed on the TTLUG's website to give some measure
                                    > of
                                    > > reassurance to businesses who wish utilise Linux but don't really know
                                    > where
                                    > > to start? Issues like listing requirements e.g. formal certification,
                                    > proof
                                    > > of experience, client reviews etc. should be considered as well. Another
                                    > > place to take ideas from is Crossloop.com (helps people connect with
                                    > > computer experts).
                                    > >
                                    > > I think this is a good way of helping more people get over the fear of
                                    > > something simple going wrong with their Linux system and not being able
                                    > > find anyone who can help. It's a fear I have too, even though I know some
                                    > of
                                    > > you Linux pros personally.
                                    > >
                                    > > What do you think?
                                    > >
                                    > > Regards,
                                    > > Brendon

                                    "Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers."

                                  • Shivan Jaikaran
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 30, 2009
                                      2009/10/30 Allan Samaroo <samaroo@...>

                                      > Good suggestion Shivan. Referring to your previous, what have you SEO'd
                                      > the TTLUG website for? Have I phrased my question correctly?

                                      I haven't actually. Didn't touch on that area at all.

                                      Shivan