Organising a less formal meeting (was Re: [ttlug] TTLUG Executive Selection For 2009-2010)

  • Nissan Dookeran
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2009
      I saw a doubles tweetup happen with twitter members...no sponsors
      necessary, and it was pretty successful to me. The format Deosaran
      talks about is common here in London too, although I have attended
      several meetups where informality was the name of the game. Do a
      search for Camdug Meetup or Alt.Net Beers London and you'll see what I
      mean. The purpose of these events are two fold, to learn a little
      something (possibly new) or contribute a little yourself, and also to
      engage with fellows in your field and build that sense of community
      spirit that makes groups such as a LUG worth being a part of and
      contributing towards in future.

      If you really want to do it Vas, or anyone for that matter, just do
      it. Start small & cheap (like a good startup) and see what momentum
      you can build and where it takes you.

      No need for corporate sponsors, or mass email announcements. Devtee
      and TTCS started as just a few guys having Pizza who opened the
      invitation to the community at large to join them. You can do like
      @macmark did, just throw the idea around for a time and a place you're
      going to be and with what purpose (to eat some pizza, doubles, or
      drink a beer or two and talk some geek talk about Linux) and make the
      invitation open to anyone who wants to join you. Remember when we had
      that TTLUG meeting a Saturday lunchtime some years ago in Mario's St
      Augustine, was pretty well attended (at least 6 ppl if I remember
      correctly) and cost nothing of the organisers but the time to attend
      since we all put our own pizza money in.

      Start small and lean, learn from each activity executed how to make
      the next better based on the feedback you receive from attendees, and
      you'll build the momentum you need to get bigger activities happening
      over time. I've literally seen this happen with events in Cambridge
      and London I contribute to, there is no reason the same cannot happen
      in Trinidad.

      -Nissan