Spice up your LUG!

  • Anil Ramnanan
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2009
      Do you attend or run a Linux User Group (LUG)? Looking for some fresh
      ideas to give it a new lease of life? Read on and discover how your
      LUG meetings can be more than a general Linux-related chit-chat down
      the local pub..

      http://tuxradar.com/content/spice-your-lug
    • Vasudev Seeram
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2009
        Great find, Anil!

        For the benefit of those who did not read the article, here is a brief checklist of the main points taken from the article:

        LUG checklist
        -------------
        * Put someone in charge of the website and keep it up to date.
        * Have a few people to make decisions and make someone the single point of contact.
        * Consider meeting at the weekend.
        * Forge a relationship with a close LUG.
        * Forge a relationship with a distant LUG.
        * Hold an event, such as an installfest.
        * Get in touch with local IT businesses.
        * Keep Linux Format magazine informed of any developments.

        V.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2009
          The ideas are nice, but really, if we want to make TTLUG a more active
          LUG, I think first folks need to stop looking to others to organise
          things, and just get used to executing on an idea themselves first.
          You can't walk before you know how to crawl.

          Shivan started the ball rolling with building the Drupal-based TTLUG
          website (which anyone is free to offer to contribute towards, we do
          have a nice feature there that allows integration of Linux feeds from
          folks' blogs), and Shivan is very open to suggestions.
          I know Shivan then followed up with a Skype chat awhile back as well,
          and his example and the technology and technique he used to deliver
          his presentation can be copied by anyone so inclined to share
          knowledge in this way with the community.

          The call has always been open for volunteers to do more than mailing
          list contributions if they were so inclined.

          Having been to a few 'pub-crawls' here for Open Source .NET i can tell
          you they can definitely be useful as a less-formal and healthy talk
          about tech issues. I personally never attributed much to them before
          going to a few here, basically because in Trinidad places like bars
          are considered either shady or elitist (or both) by most folks who the
          idea was discussed with in the past.

          However, my understanding of the concept here made me realise that the
          bar was just a place of convenience, it's the 'open' format of the
          event that makes it effective as a tool for starting discussions,
          chatter, and basically learning the 'how to crawl' as a community that
          leads to greater things (the 'how to walk' ).

          You don't even have to be in a bar or drink anything alcoholic, just
          get a bunch of willing people interested in a common topic standing
          around chatting, preferably with a drink in their hands so their
          throats don't go dry doing so, about whatever they want to chat about.
          Sometimes it leads to nothing, but sometimes it evolves in some
          amazing ways. For example I know I had an interesting chat with a MS
          MVP about ASP.Net MVC recently and the topic migrated to best
          practices for bridging the developer/designer divide in software
          teams. Another chat is leading to me going to meet some of the
          development community in Cambridge this common weekend because one of
          their developers came to a London meeting and we just started chatted
          over some drinks about tech stuff.

          To bring it down to a local equivalence, I'd like to relate these
          experiences as due to the 'Woodford Square' format of our meetings,
          however I haven't been there in ages, so I don't know if it's still
          the same kind of thing from as I remember it from passing their in my
          days in high school and see a definite similarity..

          Great contribution!
          -Nissan

          --
          Nissan Dookeran
          http://redditech.blogspot.com

          The Law of Motion & Responsibility:
          If you are neither learning nor contributing you are needed elsewhere.
        • Shivan Jaikaran
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 9, 2009
            Hi all.

            Some good points are mentioned here. What jumps out at me though is
            this a *community*. We are all volunteers, so let's not wait for one
            person to start something. Anyone can follow through with an idea as
            long as you use your discretion. Get in touch with the committee if
            you need help.

            Start posting LUG related articles on our website (yes anyone can do
            it). This is a great way to get yourself known on the web. At the very
            least, the TTLUG's website has a Google PR of 4. That's relatively
            high. Get yourself known! Write something today!

            If you know something LUG related, talk to us and lets organise a
            meetup, show off some of your skills!

            Regards,
            Shivan Jaikaran
            http://www.shivanjaikaran.com