Re: [ttlug] "Linux compatible smart-phone"

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2009
      Never had any experience in this but Ubuntu's help site has a bunch of
      information about many mobiles.
      Link here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices

      On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Trevor Christian <doubleOTeC@...>wrote:

      > Hey all...
      >
      > I'm just wondering if anyone has a suggestion and or success story
      > regarding
      > their linux desktop and a 'smart phone' - possibly windows mobile. If so...
      > how does it work out in operation and syncing etc.?
      > Regards,
      > Trevor "TeC" Christian
      > Cell #: (767) 225 4472 / (868) 687 0436
      > Home Page (http://www.trevorchristian.com/)

      Reporter: What is your opinion on the obesity problem?
      King: I prefer it to the famine problem
      - Wizard of ID

    • Trevor Christian
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2009
        Came across this... http://tuxmobil.org/

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2009
          It depends on your definition of "Linux Compatible".

          The Motoming (Motorola A1200, Motorola A1600 and some varieties of the
          Krzr) are run on a Linux OS. Does not prevent them from syncing using
          Motorola Phone Tools or being recognized as a USB device.

          In terms of syncing with an address book, I am not as sure.

          It would depend on the individual phones and the ability of said phones
          to import addresses in a particular format.

          I know the Windows mobiles, Symbian phones and the RIM Blackberries can
          sync to corporate email accounts, or whatever uses Outlook. Don't know
          about other phones.

          -rij

          Trevor Christian wrote:
          > Came across this... http://tuxmobil.org/
          >
          > Trevor "TeC" Christian
          > Cell #: (767) 225 4472 / (868) 687 0436
          > Home Page (http://www.trevorchristian.com/)
          >

          > 2009/3/6 Trevor Christian <doubleotec@...>
          >
          >> Hey all...
          >>
          >> I'm just wondering if anyone has a suggestion and or success story
          >> regarding their linux desktop and a 'smart phone' - possibly windows
          >> mobile. If so... how does it work out in operation and syncing etc.?
          >> Regards,
          >> Trevor "TeC" Christian
          >> Cell #: (767) 225 4472 / (868) 687 0436
          >> Home Page (http://www.trevorchristian.com/)

        • kimaniidanieldotcom
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 9, 2009
            The closest I got to Linux on a phone was the TMobile (HTC) G1, really sweet
            phone, once you get it unlocked and activated (which took me about 2 months
            of poking around)... But that's probably not a good comparison...

            KD

            On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Trevor Christian <doubleOTeC@...>wrote:

            > Hey all...
            >
            > I'm just wondering if anyone has a suggestion and or success story
            > regarding
            > their linux desktop and a 'smart phone' - possibly windows mobile. If so...
            > how does it work out in operation and syncing etc.?
            > Regards,
            > Trevor "TeC" Christian
            > Cell #: (767) 225 4472 / (868) 687 0436
            > Home Page (http://www.trevorchristian.com/)