Re: [ttlug] Fwd: Computer Shopper Going All Digital; Last Print Issue in April

  • Khyron
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2009
      Meh.

      Maybe now they'll put in an API. Could be useful for review sites to attach

      prices to HW, or at least information. Charge for volume access, as most of

      the big reviewers make ad revs. Have to join partner program a la AMZN
      Affiliates or AWS.

      THAT would be nice!

      On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Deosaran Bisnath <deobisnath@...>wrote:

      > Was a great magazine, at that time, in the early days of the tech
      > revolution.
      > Fat magazine with tons of useful stuff.
      >

      > --- On Fri, 2/27/09, Mohit Malik <mohit.malik@...<mohit.malik%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > From: Mohit Malik <mohit.malik@... <mohit.malik%40gmail.com>>
      > Subject: [saja-disc] Computer Shopper Going All Digital; Last Print Issue
      > in April
      > To: "SAJA DISC" <saja-disc@...<saja-disc%40lists.jrn.columbia.edu>
      > >
      > Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 2:20 PM
      >

      > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/26/AR2009022604140.html
      >
      > Computer Shopper Is Going All Digital; April Is Last Print Issue
      >
      > Staci D. KramerpaidContent.org
      > Friday, February 27, 2009; 12:07 AM
      >
      > You're reading it here first ... paidContent has learned that Computer
      > Shopper will cease print publication with its April issue, due off the press
      > next week, and become online only at ComputerShopper.com. The announcement
      > was made internally tonight; some jobs will be affected but owner SX2 Media
      > Labs LLC isn't disclosing numbers. ComputerShopper.com GM Josh London said
      > the company has been profitable "as a whole" but declined to say whether the
      > print version was profitable on its own. He also said the company is
      > interested in acquisitions.
      >
      > Unlike Ziff Davis, which canceled the print edition of PC Magazine late
      > last year but continues to sell a digital edition, Computer Shopper readers
      > will have full access to content online without charge. The site relies on
      > multiple revenue streams, including display advertising, cost-per-click, and
      > cost-per-acquisition. Current subscribers will be offered a replacement
      > magazine through the end of their subscription, London said.
      > In the staff e-mail (published in full after the jump), CEO David Sills
      > said: "Unlike other media companies you may be hearing about in the news, we
      > carry no meaningful debt, are closely held, and are well capitalized. We
      > have multiple revenue streams and a strong base of leading advertisers that
      > count on ComputerShopper.com as an integral part of their media plans."
      > This month marks the third anniversary of the magazine's acquisition from
      > CNET Networks, with related assets, in February 2006 by the privately held
      > company formed by David Sills and Barry Schwimmer. But the monthly magazine
      > is roughly as old as personal computing. It was founded in 1980 and at times
      > felt heavier than multiple phonebooks, providing hours of reading for the
      > computer geeks among us. (Yes, we had a subscription for years.) As the
      > computer industry consolidated and more readers moved online, the magazine
      > shrunk in pages and in actual size?and some of us wondered if it could last
      > at all. But London said SX2 Media Labs knew when it acquired the magazine
      > that it would relaunch the site and that eventually it all would go online:
> [...]

      "You can choose your friends, you can choose the deals."
      - Equity Private