Re: [ttlug] the big switch (windows >> ubuntu)

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
      If he likes Windows, and it works for him, leff him there.

      If they do not want to change, leave them alone. Just get paid when
      he/she has to fix his machine.

      But google "Vixta".

      Richard Bailey wrote:
      > There are skins and window decorations. The EEE pc has a theme that looks
      > like windows. The start button wont have the windows logo though.
      >
      > On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Shivan Jaikaran <shivanj@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Hi All,
      >>
      >> I have a friend here who is fixated on Windows and will not even attempted
      >> to even look at Ubuntu as a replacement (even thought the applications on
      >> Ubuntu will work the same as the applications on Windows)....I am talking
      >> about such standard applications like Office, Firefox.
      >>
      >> Is there any way in which I can install Ubuntu and make it look exactly
      >> like
      >> windows (good grief, did I just say that?)
      >>
      >> maybe an XP for ubuntu skin?
      >>
      >> I would like to have the same task bar at the bottom (with "Start) and so
      >> on. His challenge to me was to let him use ubuntu while he is thinking he
      >> is
      >> using XP....that is probably the only way he would be convinced.
      >>
      >> any ideas/suggestions welcomed.
      >>
      >> Regards,
      >> Shivan Jaikaran
      >> http://www.shivanjaikaran.com/blog

    • Hassan Voyeau
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
        He said it's his friend. He wants whats best for his friend even if his
        friend doesn't see it that way.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
          Love the photo:
          http://eeepc.simplis.org/ScreenShots/so.simplis.3.00.desktop.png

          /Stephen

          --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, Richard Jobity <richjob@...> wrote:

          > If he likes Windows, and it works for him, leff him there.
          >
          > If they do not want to change, leave them alone. Just get paid
          when
          > he/she has to fix his machine.
          >

          > But google "Vixta".
          >

          > Richard Bailey wrote:
          > > There are skins and window decorations. The EEE pc has a theme
          that looks
          > > like windows. The start button wont have the windows logo though.
          > >
          > > On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Shivan Jaikaran <shivanj@...>
          wrote:

          > >> Hi All,
          > >>
          > >> I have a friend here who is fixated on Windows and will not even
          attempted
          > >> to even look at Ubuntu as a replacement (even thought the
          applications on
          > >> Ubuntu will work the same as the applications on Windows)....I am
          talking
          > >> about such standard applications like Office, Firefox.
          > >>
          > >> Is there any way in which I can install Ubuntu and make it look
          exactly
          > >> like
          > >> windows (good grief, did I just say that?)
          > >>
          > >> maybe an XP for ubuntu skin?
          > >>
          > >> I would like to have the same task bar at the bottom (with
          "Start) and so
          > >> on. His challenge to me was to let him use ubuntu while he is
          thinking he
          > >> is
          > >> using XP....that is probably the only way he would be convinced.
          > >>
          > >> any ideas/suggestions welcomed.
          > >>
          > >> Regards,
          > >> Shivan Jaikaran
          > >> http://www.shivanjaikaran.com/blog

        • Shivan Jaikaran
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
            > He said it's his friend. He wants whats best for his friend even if his
            > friend doesn't see it that way.

            lol.

            I am finding alot of Xp to Ubuntu skins, but i really need the opposite.

            SJ
          • wayne baptiste
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 12, 2008
              well this what i did for a friend of mine i dual booted so he had to experience windoze and ubuntuĀ  after a while he stopped using windoze he found his every thing faster better

              > If he likes Windows, and it works for him, leff him there.
              >
              > If they do not want to change, leave them alone. Just get paid
              when
              > he/she has to fix his machine.
              >

              > But google "Vixta".
              >

              > Richard Bailey wrote:
              > > There are skins and window decorations. The EEE pc has a theme
              that looks
              > > like windows. The start button wont have the windows logo though.
              > >
              > > On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Shivan Jaikaran <shivanj@... >
              wrote:

              > >> Hi All,
              > >>
              > >> I have a friend here who is fixated on Windows and will not even
              attempted
              > >> to even look at Ubuntu as a replacement (even thought the
              applications on
              > >> Ubuntu will work the same as the applications on Windows).... I am
              talking
              > >> about such standard applications like Office, Firefox.
              > >>
              > >> Is there any way in which I can install Ubuntu and make it look
              exactly
              > >> like
              > >> windows (good grief, did I just say that?)
              > >>
              > >> maybe an XP for ubuntu skin?
              > >>
              > >> I would like to have the same task bar at the bottom (with
              "Start) and so
              > >> on. His challenge to me was to let him use ubuntu while he is
              thinking he
              > >> is
              > >> using XP....that is probably the only way he would be convinced.
              > >>
              > >> any ideas/suggestions welcomed.
              > >>
              > >> Regards,
              > >> Shivan Jaikaran
              > >> http://www.shivanja ikaran.com/ blog

            • Squidtto ~
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 19, 2008
                All,

                I have a contractal job opportunity at my company to move some services off a linux box to either a pc or a firewall.

                If anyone is interested call 480-2933. This is something we need done quickly and once satisfed with the service we may require more.

                Regards,

                Jillian