Re: [ttlug] the big switch (windows >> ubuntu)

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
      There are skins and window decorations. The EEE pc has a theme that looks
      like windows. The start button wont have the windows logo though.

      On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Shivan Jaikaran <shivanj@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I have a friend here who is fixated on Windows and will not even attempted
      > to even look at Ubuntu as a replacement (even thought the applications on
      > Ubuntu will work the same as the applications on Windows)....I am talking
      > about such standard applications like Office, Firefox.
      >
      > Is there any way in which I can install Ubuntu and make it look exactly
      > like
      > windows (good grief, did I just say that?)
      >
      > maybe an XP for ubuntu skin?
      >
      > I would like to have the same task bar at the bottom (with "Start) and so
      > on. His challenge to me was to let him use ubuntu while he is thinking he
      > is
      > using XP....that is probably the only way he would be convinced.
      >
      > any ideas/suggestions welcomed.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Shivan Jaikaran
      > http://www.shivanjaikaran.com/blog

      Reporter: What is your opinion on the obesity problem?
      King: I prefer it to the famine problem
      - Wizard of ID

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
        If he likes Windows, and it works for him, leff him there.

        If they do not want to change, leave them alone. Just get paid when
        he/she has to fix his machine.

        But google "Vixta".

        Richard Bailey wrote:
        > There are skins and window decorations. The EEE pc has a theme that looks
        > like windows. The start button wont have the windows logo though.
        >
        > On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Shivan Jaikaran <shivanj@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Hi All,
        >>
        >> I have a friend here who is fixated on Windows and will not even attempted
        >> to even look at Ubuntu as a replacement (even thought the applications on
        >> Ubuntu will work the same as the applications on Windows)....I am talking
        >> about such standard applications like Office, Firefox.
        >>
        >> Is there any way in which I can install Ubuntu and make it look exactly
        >> like
        >> windows (good grief, did I just say that?)
        >>
        >> maybe an XP for ubuntu skin?
        >>
        >> I would like to have the same task bar at the bottom (with "Start) and so
        >> on. His challenge to me was to let him use ubuntu while he is thinking he
        >> is
        >> using XP....that is probably the only way he would be convinced.
        >>
        >> any ideas/suggestions welcomed.
        >>
        >> Regards,
        >> Shivan Jaikaran
        >> http://www.shivanjaikaran.com/blog

      • Hassan Voyeau
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
          He said it's his friend. He wants whats best for his friend even if his
          friend doesn't see it that way.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
            Love the photo:
            http://eeepc.simplis.org/ScreenShots/so.simplis.3.00.desktop.png

            /Stephen

            --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, Richard Jobity <richjob@...> wrote:

            > If he likes Windows, and it works for him, leff him there.
            >
            > If they do not want to change, leave them alone. Just get paid
            when
            > he/she has to fix his machine.
            >

            > But google "Vixta".
            >

            > Richard Bailey wrote:
            > > There are skins and window decorations. The EEE pc has a theme
            that looks
            > > like windows. The start button wont have the windows logo though.
            > >
            > > On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Shivan Jaikaran <shivanj@...>
            wrote:

            > >> Hi All,
            > >>
            > >> I have a friend here who is fixated on Windows and will not even
            attempted
            > >> to even look at Ubuntu as a replacement (even thought the
            applications on
            > >> Ubuntu will work the same as the applications on Windows)....I am
            talking
            > >> about such standard applications like Office, Firefox.
            > >>
            > >> Is there any way in which I can install Ubuntu and make it look
            exactly
            > >> like
            > >> windows (good grief, did I just say that?)
            > >>
            > >> maybe an XP for ubuntu skin?
            > >>
            > >> I would like to have the same task bar at the bottom (with
            "Start) and so
            > >> on. His challenge to me was to let him use ubuntu while he is
            thinking he
            > >> is
            > >> using XP....that is probably the only way he would be convinced.
            > >>
            > >> any ideas/suggestions welcomed.
            > >>
            > >> Regards,
            > >> Shivan Jaikaran
            > >> http://www.shivanjaikaran.com/blog

          • Shivan Jaikaran
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 9, 2008
              > He said it's his friend. He wants whats best for his friend even if his
              > friend doesn't see it that way.

              lol.

              I am finding alot of Xp to Ubuntu skins, but i really need the opposite.

              SJ
            • wayne baptiste
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 12, 2008
                well this what i did for a friend of mine i dual booted so he had to experience windoze and ubuntuĀ  after a while he stopped using windoze he found his every thing faster better

                > If he likes Windows, and it works for him, leff him there.
                >
                > If they do not want to change, leave them alone. Just get paid
                when
                > he/she has to fix his machine.
                >

                > But google "Vixta".
                >

                > Richard Bailey wrote:
                > > There are skins and window decorations. The EEE pc has a theme
                that looks
                > > like windows. The start button wont have the windows logo though.
                > >
                > > On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Shivan Jaikaran <shivanj@... >
                wrote:

                > >> Hi All,
                > >>
                > >> I have a friend here who is fixated on Windows and will not even
                attempted
                > >> to even look at Ubuntu as a replacement (even thought the
                applications on
                > >> Ubuntu will work the same as the applications on Windows).... I am
                talking
                > >> about such standard applications like Office, Firefox.
                > >>
                > >> Is there any way in which I can install Ubuntu and make it look
                exactly
                > >> like
                > >> windows (good grief, did I just say that?)
                > >>
                > >> maybe an XP for ubuntu skin?
                > >>
                > >> I would like to have the same task bar at the bottom (with
                "Start) and so
                > >> on. His challenge to me was to let him use ubuntu while he is
                thinking he
                > >> is
                > >> using XP....that is probably the only way he would be convinced.
                > >>
                > >> any ideas/suggestions welcomed.
                > >>
                > >> Regards,
                > >> Shivan Jaikaran
                > >> http://www.shivanja ikaran.com/ blog

              • Squidtto ~
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 19, 2008
                  All,

                  I have a contractal job opportunity at my company to move some services off a linux box to either a pc or a firewall.

                  If anyone is interested call 480-2933. This is something we need done quickly and once satisfed with the service we may require more.

                  Regards,

                  Jillian