FTP Server advice needed

  • Brendon Ballantyne
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
      Hey everyone, a few of the users on my company's network usually need to send large files to external parties... and I've recently discovered that they've had to rely on using their company email addresses to do this. On a daily basis they send an average of 5 files each between 15 and 20mb in size. While they haven't complained about the slow delivery, message bounces (due to low space in recipients' mailboxes) etc., I'd like to implement something that works as described below:

      1) Internal user uploads required file to internal FTP server
      2) Server accepts upload and displays a publicly accessible link that the user inserts into an email to the recipient. An alternative to this could just be that the server displays some sort of file hash that can be sent to the recipient who then logs on to our company website and enters that hash into some "Retrieve File" web form and is able to download the file.
      3) Automatic logging of: Sender, Recipient, File name, Date/Time
      4) This one isn't necessary any time soon, but may be a future consideration: External users being able to upload files to our internal FTP server and upon upload, internal user gets email notification.

      My main goal is to improve the speed with which these large files can be distributed to external parties and to reduce the overall size of internal staff email folders. I'd appreciate any advice, whether its identifying resources I can investigate further, or anything else related to my goals. Thanks in advance.

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
        Looks like you can use any of the linux ftp servers and incorporate
        some custom scripts to get the notification functionality.

        I've done something similar using ssh version 5 (which supports
        chrooted jails without any fancy configuration for sftp) and vsftpd
        (which also supports chrooted jails and ftps). There's also a webmin
        module for vsftp to make administration and/or user-access easier once
        you're done.

        The scripts should be easy to write (or google) or you can post on
        this list for help.

        /Stephen

        --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "Brendon Ballantyne" <brother_bee@...>

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
          Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
            The scripts you want would do something like parse the secure.log file
            or the ftp.log file and react accordingly or monitor a folder for file
            changes then do something. Goodluck!

            wrote:

            > Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

          • Shivan Jaikaran
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
              You can also you a service (free?) such as:

              http://yousendit.com

              * Send and Receive Files up to 2 GB Each On-Demand
              * File Delivery Tracking and Secure Delivery
              * Send Multiple Files at Once

              Regards,
              Shivan Jaikaran
              http://www.shivanjaikaran.com/blog

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                Didn't you get the memo? Richard Stallman says that SAAS sucks. Also,
                if it's corporate data, yousendit woiuldn't be a suitable solution...

                /Stephen

                --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "Shivan Jaikaran" <shivanj@...> wrote:

                > You can also you a service (free?) such as:
                >
                > http://yousendit.com
                >
                > * Send and Receive Files up to 2 GB Each On-Demand
                > * File Delivery Tracking and Secure Delivery
                > * Send Multiple Files at Once
                >
                > Regards,
                > Shivan Jaikaran
                > http://www.shivanjaikaran.com/blog
                >

                > On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Brendon Ballantyne
                > <brother_bee@...> wrote:
                > > Hey everyone, a few of the users on my company's network usually
                need to
                > > send large files to external parties... and I've recently
                discovered that
                > > they've had to rely on using their company email addresses to do
                this. On a
                > > daily basis they send an average of 5 files each between 15 and
                20mb in
                > > size. While they haven't complained about the slow delivery,
                message bounces
                > > (due to low space in recipients' mailboxes) etc., I'd like to
                implement
                > > something that works as described below:
                > >
                > > 1) Internal user uploads required file to internal FTP server
                > > 2) Server accepts upload and displays a publicly accessible link
                that the
                > > user inserts into an email to the recipient. An alternative to
                this could
                > > just be that the server displays some sort of file hash that can
                be sent to
                > > the recipient who then logs on to our company website and enters
                that hash
                > > into some "Retrieve File" web form and is able to download the
                file.
                > > 3) Automatic logging of: Sender, Recipient, File name, Date/Time
                > > 4) This one isn't necessary any time soon, but may be a future
                > > consideration: External users being able to upload files to our
                internal FTP
                > > server and upon upload, internal user gets email notification.
                > >
                > > My main goal is to improve the speed with which these large files
                can be
                > > distributed to external parties and to reduce the overall size of
                internal
                > > staff email folders. I'd appreciate any advice, whether its
                identifying
                > > resources I can investigate further, or anything else related to
                my goals.
                > > Thanks in advance.

              • Brendon Ballantyne
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                  heheh. I've used YouSendIt and others like it before, but even though the files currently being transferred don't contain sensitive data, we (the company) prefer not to use a third party as an option right now.
                  Thanks though.

                  Didn't you get the memo? Richard Stallman says that SAAS sucks. Also,
                  if it's corporate data, yousendit woiuldn't be a suitable solution...

                  /Stephen

                  --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "Shivan Jaikaran" <shivanj@...> wrote:

                  > You can also you a service (free?) such as:
                  >
                  > http://yousendit.com
                  >
                  > * Send and Receive Files up to 2 GB Each On-Demand
                  > * File Delivery Tracking and Secure Delivery
                  > * Send Multiple Files at Once
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Shivan Jaikaran
                  > http://www.shivanjaikaran.com/blog
                  >

                  > On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Brendon Ballantyne
                  > <brother_bee@...> wrote:
                  > > Hey everyone, a few of the users on my company's network usually
                  need to
                  > > send large files to external parties... and I've recently
                  discovered that
                  > > they've had to rely on using their company email addresses to do
                  this. On a
                  > > daily basis they send an average of 5 files each between 15 and
                  20mb in
                  > > size. While they haven't complained about the slow delivery,
                  message bounces
                  > > (due to low space in recipients' mailboxes) etc., I'd like to
                  implement
                  > > something that works as described below:
                  > >
                  > > 1) Internal user uploads required file to internal FTP server
                  > > 2) Server accepts upload and displays a publicly accessible link
                  that the
                  > > user inserts into an email to the recipient. An alternative to
                  this could
                  > > just be that the server displays some sort of file hash that can
                  be sent to
                  > > the recipient who then logs on to our company website and enters
                  that hash
                  > > into some "Retrieve File" web form and is able to download the
                  file.
                  > > 3) Automatic logging of: Sender, Recipient, File name, Date/Time
                  > > 4) This one isn't necessary any time soon, but may be a future
                  > > consideration: External users being able to upload files to our
                  internal FTP
                  > > server and upon upload, internal user gets email notification.
                  > >
                  > > My main goal is to improve the speed with which these large files
                  can be
                  > > distributed to external parties and to reduce the overall size of
                  internal
                  > > staff email folders. I'd appreciate any advice, whether its
                  identifying
                  > > resources I can investigate further, or anything else related to
                  my goals.
                  > > Thanks in advance.

                • Shivan Jaikaran
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                    You can also have a ftp server set up where users can drop files in a
                    certain folder, and this folder is served by a web sever as a
                    directory listing. When the user clicks on the link to the file, it
                    will simply download. You can even protect this directory.

                    Regards,
                    Shivan Jaikaran
                    http://www.shivanjaikaran.com/blog

                  • Brendon Ballantyne
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                      I'm familiar with that as well, but seeing that the external recipients change unpredictably, I don't want to have to manage access for the various users.
                      I'm hoping to allow "download" permissions to all external users, but not "directory-listing" permissions. That's where the file-hash should come in handy.. I'll check out the vsftp Stephen suggested. But keep the ideas coming. The more info I get, the better my final decision. Thanks!!

                      <brother_bee@...> wrote:
                      > heheh. I've used YouSendIt and others like it before, but even though the
                      > files currently being transferred don't contain sensitive data, we (the
                      > company) prefer not to use a third party as an option right now.
                      > Thanks though.

                    • Kwesi Stewart
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                        Drupal :) If you can handle the HTTP upload. Shouldn't be hard to make a
                        module to handle FTP stuff via cron.
                      • Brendon Ballantyne
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                          Meaning that I can install Drupal on an internal server and extend the FTP functionality?
                          Hmm.. that might actually solve a second issue as well.. I was looking at Sharepoint for an intranet portal.. but that's a totally different thread that I'm not quite ready for yet

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                            On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Kwesi Stewart
                            <kwesistewart@...> wrote:
                            > Drupal :) If you can handle the HTTP upload. Shouldn't be hard to make a
                            > module to handle FTP stuff via cron.

                            Definitely, that was my next suggestion.

                            Drupal already has some community-contributed modules to do what you
                            what, check out:

                            http://drupal.org/project/disknode
                            http://drupal.org/project/docs
                            http://drupal.org/project/drupal_ftp
                            http://drupal.org/project/filebrowser
                            http://drupal.org/project/fileview

                            and for all file management type modules:

                            http://drupal.org/project/Modules/category/62
                          • Shivan Jaikaran
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                              On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Brendon Ballantyne
                              <brother_bee@...> wrote:
                              > Meaning that I can install Drupal on an internal server and extend the FTP
                              > functionality?
                              > Hmm.. that might actually solve a second issue as well.. I was looking at
                              > Sharepoint for an intranet portal.. but that's a totally different thread
                              > that I'm not quite ready for yet

                              You don't even need to install it on an internal server. any external
                              web hosting environment will work as well. Drupal can handle user
                              access control for you.

                              The issue you will need to watch out for is the maximum size of a file
                              upload which is determined by your php settings (typically set to 2
                              MB). This can always be changed to whatever your server environment
                              can support and is not determined by drupal.

                              Also you might want to watch out for the maximum upload timeout time
                              which is also determined by php settings.

                              Shivan
                            • Brendon Ballantyne
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                                It's the internal users' upload time I'd like to shorten, so the internal server (I've got a few unused boxes to choose from) would probably be the better option in this regard as well.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                                  Both options would shorten the internal user's upload time once the
                                  server is hosted internally.

                                  You may want to remember the K.I.S.S. principle.

                                  vsftp = vsftp and possibly webmin
                                  drupal = apache + mysql + php + drupal

                                  Extra packages equal extra maintenance, not to mention, your attack
                                  profile would be a lot wider too.

                                  You shouldn't build your Intranet on an internet facing system. Well,
                                  it isn't something I would do.

                                  wrote:

                                  > It's the internal users' upload time I'd like to shorten, so the
                                  internal server (I've got a few unused boxes to choose from) would
                                  probably be the better option in this regard as well.

                                • Brendon Ballantyne
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                                    oh no it won't be publicly accessible.. I'll be doing port forwarding via our firewall.

                                    wrote:

                                    > It's the internal users' upload time I'd like to shorten, so the
                                    internal server (I've got a few unused boxes to choose from) would
                                    probably be the better option in this regard as well.

                                  • Falina Baksh
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                                      You can use VSFTP, and just place the external users in a chroot jail to
                                      prevent yourself from wanderers. This will take less than 15 minutes to
                                      setup and about 10 minutes to test and fine tune.

                                      You will also want to have a script that will not leave any file in the
                                      directory longer than 24 hours especially if the data is confidential. Your
                                      users may be protected however you cannot guarantee that the remote users
                                      are equally protected.

                                      Port forwarding isn't going to protect you that much...hackers will scan
                                      your IP for any ports free and then launch dictionary attacks at it to use
                                      to get into your system. If your users are constantly sending files to
                                      various third parties doing any type of IP based filtering will increase
                                      your admin load which I'm sure you don't want.

                                      Rgds,
                                      Falina

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                                        Since Intranet sites tend to end up with a lot of confidential and/or proprietary company information, I was thinking more of a VPN to
                                        access the login screen.

                                        wrote:

                                        > oh no it won't be publicly accessible.. I'll be doing port
                                        forwarding via our firewall.

                                      • Sherwyn Greene
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                                          hi, you can accomplish all that you are looking for with vsftpd for linux.

                                          Regards
                                          Sherwyn