RE: [TTLUG] Re: [x-post] Attend Tech Meetings [Was: Is Linux worth the effort?]

  • Brendon Ballantyne
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2007
      I like the idea of video taping the event. I've never been to a meeting myself even though I'd love to attend. For me, I work in Couva till about 6pm.. and I don't have a car, so usually the thought of travelling up to Pizza Hut and then to home doesn't seem too appealing. In no way am I criticising any aspect of the meeting; it's just that my schedule doesn't give me the freedom I need in this case, so watching a video replay would be great..Brendon

      To: TTLUG@yahoogroups.comFrom: nissan.dookeran@...: Thu, 31 May 2007 14:24:42 +0000Subject: [TTLUG] Re: [x-post] Attend Tech Meetings [Was: Is Linux worth the effort?]

      This sounds like persons who do not attend tech meetings are being chided for asking questions after. This may not have been the intention, but just letting you know this is how it sounded.We have seen for many years the issue of members clamering for meetings to happen, and once they do the lack of attendence at these meetings clearly comes up.While this is clearly non-motivating for those who take their own time and effort to organise these sessions, this also lends the question, "why did this happen, and what can we do to stop it from happening again?"My personal reason for not attending the HandArnold event is that my current employment demands have taken away from me the time and mobility to be physically present for all these excellent tech activities which interest me greatly.However, the greater issue I think is clearly one of why do NEW persons not attend the tech meetings. My take on this?Those who call for tech meetings and who have never attended one don't have enough faith in them being worth their time to attend. The only way of course to dispel this myth is for them to actually attend one though, and find it valuable enough to them to be a repeatable experience. You see the nature of this dilemma now.So I propose this. Let's actually video capture or record in some replayable medium (like the podcast Mike did some time ago of a TTCS event) the happenings of a TTCS/TTLUG meeting. Post a link to it on the list. Upload it to Youtube if it is a video. Most digital cameras come with a video mode, and most of us have one. Use the community gathered to create, aggregate and then publish content about an event.I can see this working because I have it work in the US quite frequently. I have recently seen some folks in the local music industry start using this method as an incentive to get new participation at relatively unknown events. And it is working!So to those who plan to organise the next tech event, I suggest you focus on ways of making the event engaging to those who may not even attend the event. That may be your best means of making your effort most worth it.--- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, Vasudev Seeram <cavguy101@...> wrote:>> Folks,> > I think that a lot of grief can be spared if only> people ATTEND TECH MEETINGS.> > We installed over half a dozen Linux distros at our> last TTCS Tech Meeting (on Saturday, May 26 at Hand> Arnold). There were distros for every niche: Puppy> Linux, with its simplicity and desktop icons could be> used by new pre-teen (8-12 year old) users;> BeaFanatIX, extremely simple menu, ideal for brand> new, more mature users; DamnSmallLinux, very small> footprint, ran lighting fast on ancient hardware;> PCLinuxOS for the Linux poweruser; and Xandros 4.0> Open Circulation, a serious contender for the business> desktop. > > Even on 128MB RAM, many of these new distros were> responsive and useable. The interface has matured to> the point where they are on par with commercial> operating systems. And the bundled software represents> thousands of dollars in savings.> > Had the statement 'Linux is unproductive' been made> 5-6 years ago, it may have been debatable. Now,> however, I think that it takes the same amount of> effort to learn to use these distros as it takes to> learn a commercial operating system.> > The aim of the Tech Meetings is not to force a> particular philosphy or ideology, but to educate> members on 'what's out there'. As professionals, we> owe it to our customers ('customers' used broadly to> mean anyone we serve, whether it be clients paying for> our service, our boss or company management, a> coworker, or simply a friend or family member) to> present them with options so that they can make an> informed choice that best fits their need. Honestly> present the strengths and weaknesses of alternative> products, and let the customer choose.> > See the item 2.5 of the ACM Code of Ethics> (http://www.acm.org/constitution/code.html): > "Computer professionals must strive to be perceptive,> thorough, and objective when evaluating, recommending,> and presenting system descriptions and alternatives."> > See you at the next Tech Meeting!> > > Vasudev.> p.s. And don't take my word for it either: download> the distros (and/or the TTCS OSSWIN CD) and give them> a test drive. Who knows, you may end up breathing new> life into that old hardware! ^_^> > > > > ________________________________________________________________________Ready for the edge of your seat? > Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV. > http://tv.yahoo.com/>

    • kimaniidanieldotcom
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
        I also would love to attend but I'm all the way in St. Lucia, and I'm not
        gonna book a ticket to Trinidad for a pizza lime, esp now with those mad
        prices of airfares. So I second the video idea. You don't have to video tape
        the whole thing, probably just the presentations and the different installs
        etc.

        KD

        On 5/31/07, Brendon Ballantyne <brother_bee@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > ('customers' used broadly to> mean anyone we serve, whether it be clients
        > paying for> our service, our boss or company management, a> coworker, or
        > simply a friend or family member) to> present them with options so that they
        > can make an> informed choice that best fits their need. Honestly> present
        > the strengths and weaknesses of alternative> products, and let the customer
        > choose.> > See the item 2.5 of the ACM Code of Ethics> (
        > http://www.acm.org/constitution/code.html): > "Computer professionals must
        > strive to be perceptive,> thorough, and objective when evaluating,
        > recommending,> and presenting system descriptions and alternatives."> > See
        > you at the next Tech Meeting!> > > Vasudev.> p.s. And don't take my word
        > for it either: download> the distros (and/or the TTCS OSSWIN CD) and give
        > them> a test drive. Who knows, you may end up breathing new> life into that

        ----
        http://www.kimaniidaniel.com
        Microsoft Certified Professional
        Comptia Linux + Certified

      • Raul Bermudez
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
          I would hate to use all of the grant money to do something like that, but if
          it is the wish of the majority, say what.

          WHAT!?

          --

          > From: kimaniidanieldotcom <kimmyworld@...>
          > Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:39:11 -0400
          > To: TTLUG@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [TTLUG] Re: [x-post] Attend Tech Meetings [Was: Is Linux worth
          > the effort?]
          >
          > I also would love to attend but I'm all the way in St. Lucia, and I'm not
          > gonna book a ticket to Trinidad for a pizza lime, esp now with those mad
          > prices of airfares. So I second the video idea. You don't have to video tape
          > the whole thing, probably just the presentations and the different installs
          > etc.
          >
          > KD
          >

          >> On 5/31/07, Brendon Ballantyne <brother_bee@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I like the idea of video taping the event. I've never been to a meeting
          >> myself even though I'd love to attend. For me, I work in Couva till about
          >> 6pm.. and I don't have a car, so usually the thought of travelling up to
          >> Pizza Hut and then to home doesn't seem too appealing. In no way am I
          >> criticising any aspect of the meeting; it's just that my schedule doesn't
          >> give me the freedom I need in this case, so watching a video replay would be
          >> great..Brendon

        • Hassan Voyeau
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
            So if everyone wants to watch a video then who's going to show up to be in
            the video in the first place?

            On 6/1/07, Raul Bermudez <toymaker@...> wrote:

            > I would hate to use all of the grant money to do something like that, but
            > if
            > it is the wish of the majority, say what.
            >
            > WHAT!?

          • Brendon Ballantyne
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
              The people who already do show up... It's not everyone who wants to watch the video alone.Brendon

              To: TTLUG@yahoogroups.com; ttcs@yahoogroups.comFrom: hassan.voyeau@...: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:03:50 -0400Subject: Re: [TTLUG] Re: [x-post] Attend Tech Meetings [Was: Is Linux worth the effort?]

              So if everyone wants to watch a video then who's going to show up to be inthe video in the first place?On 6/1/07, Raul Bermudez <toymaker@...> wrote:>>> I would hate to use all of the grant money to do something like that, but> if> it is the wish of the majority, say what.>> WHAT!?>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]