Happy 7th Anniversary TTLUG Yahoo! Group :-)

  • sherwinramnarine
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2007
      Well it *is* May 1 TT local time when I'm writing this, even though
      Yahoo! says it's ~9.30pm on April 30th.

      But yeah, Happy 7th Anniversary :-) *fireworks and all that*
    • Raul Bermudez
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2007
        It would be too soon after the funeral for that.

        --

        > From: "sherwinramnarine" <sherwinr@...>
        > Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 04:32:19 -0000
        > To: TTLUG@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [TTLUG] Happy 7th Anniversary TTLUG Yahoo! Group :-)
        >
        > Well it *is* May 1 TT local time when I'm writing this, even though
        > Yahoo! says it's ~9.30pm on April 30th.
        >
        > But yeah, Happy 7th Anniversary :-) *fireworks and all that*

      • Kerry Panchoo
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2007
          actually we're probably going on 8-9 years in early '99 (possibly late
          98)-- the story goes:

          The group was founded through classifieds I placed in the newspapers
          about linux in early 99 or maybe late 98, I met alain (who placed some
          classified ads about quantum computing and linux)- I called up UWI
          computer science, and had a very interesed prof who introduced me to
          Adrian Chung from UWI. That prof. never bothered to show up at any
          meetings- but Adrian did. I continued placing classified ads and
          eventually others slowly joined. We eventually formed a loose group and
          had meetings every 2 weeks in POS and San'do- religiously i might add,
          which gave rise to a mailling list on onelist (which was later
          moved/taken over (?) by yahoo).

          In the 1st few months the group size grew from 4 to about 10-15 members.
          I used to sell cheapo linux distros to anyone who wanted it and we
          recruited a lot of our initial members like that. I remember frequently
          driving up to POS from san-do with about 2-3 computers in my van to show
          off what linux could do.

          Through my company, we were able to exhibit in South Ex 1999 which led
          to membership growing to over 40 members. The highlight of south ex for
          uis was that was that we had a computer running about 75 applications at
          the same time and a fog machine that made the stupid-arse security
          guards come running everytime i went off. I met richard some months
          earlier, but he really showed his commitment and willingness to work. I
          became the "official" chairman in sept-oct 99.

          Over the following months we grew to a size of about 200.

          Since i was leaving, i gave up my post and recommended Richard become
          chairman in 2000.