Wanted: A Socket A processor

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
      I'm finally tapping the limit of my little Duron 1800 in my "home server"
      Does anyone have a Socket A processor they are no longer using? If so
      contact me please.

      - RB

      --
      Reporter: What is your opinion on the obesity problem?
      King: I prefer it to the famine problem

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
        Quoting Richard Bailey <rmjb@...>:

        > I'm finally tapping the limit of my little Duron 1800 in my "home server"
        > Does anyone have a Socket A processor they are no longer using? If so
        > contact me please.
        >
        > - RB
        >
        > --
        > Reporter: What is your opinion on the obesity problem?
        > King: I prefer it to the famine problem
        > - Wizard of ID

        1800 or 800?
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
          1800, I use vlc to transcode and stream divx/xvid content into MPEG2
          to play on a MediaMVP ( www.mvpmc.org ). But I'm getting some
          jittering and framing recently since the server does a bunch of other
          stuff too.

          Anyone?

          - RB

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
            you should present that at a meeting...

            ________________________________

            --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            richjob@... wrote:

            > Quoting Richard Bailey <rmjb@...>:
            >
            > > I'm finally tapping the limit of my little Duron 1800 in my "home
            server"
            > > Does anyone have a Socket A processor they are no longer using? If
            so
            > > contact me please.
            > >
            > > - RB
            > >
            > > --
            > > Reporter: What is your opinion on the obesity problem?
            > > King: I prefer it to the famine problem
            > > - Wizard of ID
            > >

            > 1800 or 800?

          • Calvin Harrigan
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
              Richard Bailey wrote:
              > 1800, I use vlc to transcode and stream divx/xvid content into MPEG2
              > to play on a MediaMVP ( www.mvpmc.org ). But I'm getting some
              > jittering and framing recently since the server does a bunch of other
              > stuff too.
              >
              > Anyone?
              >
              > - RB

              Is the machine transcoding the files fed to the MediaMVP on the fly? If
              not, there is very little overhead involved in streaming an mpeg 2 file.
              What other things is the box doing that you think is impacting
              networking performance? What is the speed of the network? I use mvpmc
              with a mythtv box and it's been pretty decent.
            • Falina Baksh
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
                You should check Gatt forums - I think I saw in post recently where one was
                for sale.

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Yeah it's transcoding on the fly. The MediaMVP uses a hardware decoder
                  chip to play MPEG2 since it's processor is too wimpy to play video,
                  that being said it definitely can't play DivX/XviD or anything higher.
                  The MediaMVP has my media folder mounted over NFS and if I pick a
                  MPEG2 file to play the "server" just does file serving and the
                  MediaMVP does the decoding. If I pick something the MediaMVP can't
                  play it will instruct vlc to transcode on the file fly to MPEG2 and
                  that will be streamed to the MediaMVP.

                  What do you use to link your MediaMVP to MythTV? The same project I
                  linked to below? Everything I described above was done with that
                  project, it's amazing what all this open source software does for
                  free! Though I have donated to a few projects I liked.

                  The "server" also does CUPS (printing), samba (file serving),
                  TorrentFlux (torrent downloading, this uses apache & mysql),
                  slimserver (music serving again for the MediaMVP), software RAID and
                  nfs (file serving). Squid for an http proxy is also installed but only
                  used at rare times and I'm going to set up BackupPC on it, that
                  installs exim4 mail server... So my lil 1800 Duron is starting to get
                  taxed. Myth is also set up but not used.

                  And my "large" file system, where all my music, torrents, downloads
                  and myth recordings are places was recently switched to the xfs file
                  system which has better performance for many files. I was reading and
                  large filesystems should use xfs or jfs. But the thing is xfs uses a
                  little more cpu that ext3, but less than resier (I think). jfs had the
                  least cpu usage, but for some reason some of the sites I read said IBM
                  was no longer actively developing it.

                  As for demonstrating it, I guess I could, but it was all done by that
                  mvmpc project, and it was a lil tricky to set up.

                  - RB

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
                    Richard Bailey wrote:
                    > Yeah it's transcoding on the fly. The MediaMVP uses a hardware decoder
                    > chip to play MPEG2 since it's processor is too wimpy to play video,
                    > that being said it definitely can't play DivX/XviD or anything higher.
                    > The MediaMVP has my media folder mounted over NFS and if I pick a
                    > MPEG2 file to play the "server" just does file serving and the
                    > MediaMVP does the decoding. If I pick something the MediaMVP can't
                    > play it will instruct vlc to transcode on the file fly to MPEG2 and
                    > that will be streamed to the MediaMVP.
                    >
                    > What do you use to link your MediaMVP to MythTV?

                    mvpmc supports mythtv out of the box, so to speak.

                    The same project I
                    > linked to below? Everything I described above was done with that
                    > project, it's amazing what all this open source software does for
                    > free! Though I have donated to a few projects I liked.
                    >
                    > The "server" also does CUPS (printing), samba (file serving),
                    > TorrentFlux (torrent downloading, this uses apache & mysql),
                    > slimserver (music serving again for the MediaMVP), software RAID and
                    > nfs (file serving). Squid for an http proxy is also installed but only
                    > used at rare times and I'm going to set up BackupPC on it, that
                    > installs exim4 mail server... So my lil 1800 Duron is starting to get
                    > taxed. Myth is also set up but not used.

                    All I can say is WOW. You're a PC killer. I think it IS doing a bit
                    much. How much memory is in it?

                    > And my "large" file system, where all my music, torrents, downloads
                    > and myth recordings are places was recently switched to the xfs file
                    > system which has better performance for many files. I was reading and
                    > large filesystems should use xfs or jfs. But the thing is xfs uses a
                    > little more cpu that ext3, but less than resier (I think). jfs had the
                    > least cpu usage, but for some reason some of the sites I read said IBM
                    > was no longer actively developing it.

                    What is the size of the partitions?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 6, 2007
                      --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, Calvin Harrigan <charriglists@...> wrote:

                      > All I can say is WOW. You're a PC killer. I think it IS doing a bit
                      > much. How much memory is in it?

                      It just has 376MB memory and 500MB swap and that works fine.

                      All those services on this one box just grew organically. I wanted
                      something and I know this would always be on so I installed it there.
                      Then some time passed and I wanted another thing and I install it
                      there again. After a long time I realised I've totally loaded this one
                      little PC.

                      Oh and it seems my 1600 Duron is up to the task after all, I think the
                      problem with stuttering transcoding was because X hung and was
                      consuming all the cpu. When I fixed that the videos play fine.

                      > What is the size of the partitions?

                      / is 19G, 63% used
                      /boot is 96M, 20% used
                      /mnt/shares is 373G, 61% used

                      That last one is the large filesystem, it's xfs on lvm2 on software
                      raid5 on 3 200G partitions managed by evms. Evms makes it easier to
                      manage these kinds of disk setups.

                      - RB