Compatible Hard Drives on Linux

  • Vasudev Seeram
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 9:07 AM
      I want to add two new hard drives to a Linux box at
      work (RHEL ES 3). To be on the safe side, I checked
      the Red Hat Hardware Catalog
      (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/), but did not see
      any hard drives listed. Is it that all hard drives are
      compatible under RHEL, and I can just add them in and
      run kudzu to pick them up?

      V.
      p.s. The current hard drives in the box are all SCSI
      (/dev/sd?).

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
    • Kerry Panchoo
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1 2:51 PM
        I cant think of an ordinary SATA or IDE hard drive that does not work.
        I dont think you will have a problem.

        Vasudev Seeram wrote:

        > I want to add two new hard drives to a Linux box at
        > work (RHEL ES 3). To be on the safe side, I checked
        > the Red Hat Hardware Catalog
        > (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/
        > <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/>), but did not see
        > any hard drives listed. Is it that all hard drives are
        > compatible under RHEL, and I can just add them in and
        > run kudzu to pick them up?
        >
        > V.
        > p.s. The current hard drives in the box are all SCSI
        > (/dev/sd?).

        > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail <http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail>

      • Kerry Panchoo
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1 3:10 PM
          if you boot up and run the installer, it should detect the hard drives--
          if it does not see it, then you will need to get the drivers from the
          manufacturer etc

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2 8:52 AM
            Much thanks, I'll tell tech support to go ahead with
            the upgrade.

            V.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3 7:41 AM
              Looks like I'm late to the party. In Linux I think what you need to
              look for is support for the Hard Drive controller and not so much the
              drive itself. So if your existing scsi card works, adding more drives
              wont be a problem.

              If you're adding a new scsi card or an iscsi card or a fibre channel
              hba then you'll need to check up on those.

              - RB