Ubuntu

  • Yahoo
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 23, 2007
      Hi all..

      Its me once more..

      I am reading more and more about ubuntu.. and it seems like its getting to
      be one of the best Linux distros. even better than fedora.

      My question here is.

      Has anyone used it to set up a file server, LDAP, email, Collaboration
      software and a Proxy/firewall server ?

      Looking to do a lot of improvements at my office when I get back out.. I had
      once toyed with fedora and others.. but as most of u all know I am not as
      good as Christ when it comes to linux.

      Thanks again guys..

      Regards,

      Andre

    • Trevor Christian
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 23, 2007
        I am not a long time Ubuntu user... so my opinion may be incorrect or
        inconsistent with other greater users of this distro. However, I do not see
        Ubuntu as more than a desktop distro - I don't see myself using it for a
        server.

        Regards,

        On 23/02/07, Yahoo <andre_bunting@...> wrote:

        > Hi all..
        >
        > Its me once more..
        >
        > I am reading more and more about ubuntu.. and it seems like its getting to
        > be one of the best Linux distros. even better than fedora.
        >
        > My question here is.
        >
        > Has anyone used it to set up a file server, LDAP, email, Collaboration
        > software and a Proxy/firewall server ?
        >
        > Looking to do a lot of improvements at my office when I get back out.. I
        > had
        > once toyed with fedora and others.. but as most of u all know I am not as
        > good as Christ when it comes to linux.
        >
        > Thanks again guys..
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Andre

        Trevor "TeC" Christian
        Cell #: (767) 225 4472
        IM
        MSN: trevorc98@...
        YM : trevorc01
        AIM: DoubleOTeC
        Home Page (http://trevor.dalive.com/)
        Curriculum Vitae (http://trevor.dalive.com/cv/)
        DALive (http://www.dalive.com)

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 23, 2007
          I wouldn't use it as a firewall or an email server, there are other
          distributions that do that better. Nor would I put all those services on
          the same box in a business environment.
          It's primarily a desktop distribution, maybe you can do a little file
          serving as well but there are other distributions specialize in file
          serving only.

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 24, 2007
            Now there is an Ubuntu server distro that's put out by Canonical, and
            Sun has a partnership with Canonical for Ubuntu for it's new Niagara
            processors.

            And there is an official Ubuntu Server Guide:
            https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/serverguide/C/index.html

            And Dapper Drake, Ubuntu 6.06, has LTS (Long Term Support) with 3
            years on the desktop and 5 years on the server.

            All this tells me that the Ubuntu devs do consider the server side of
            things when putting together Ubuntu.

            Personally I use Xubuntu on my home server that handles dhcp, dns,
            file (smb & nfs) and print (ipp & smb) and also does torrent
            downloading (TorrentFlux), media server (MythTV) and soon network
            backups (BackupPC). There's also a squid proxy server that I seldom
            use installed and configured.

            All in all I'd say that as great as Ubuntu is on the desktop, it's
            pretty good on the server, with the same view of apt-get and it works.

            - RB

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24, 2007
              Yahoo wrote:
              > Hi all..
              >

              > Its me once more..
              >

              > I am reading more and more about ubuntu.. and it seems like its getting to
              > be one of the best Linux distros. even better than fedora.
              >

              > My question here is.
              >

              > Has anyone used it to set up a file server, LDAP, email, Collaboration
              > software and a Proxy/firewall server ?

              Honestly, there is a server-specific Ubuntu that does all that. But i
              agree with Stephen. Dedicate a machine to that. You CAN run all those
              services on one machine, but it creates a potential single point of
              failure for a network.

              Something like ClarkConnect might be better for those purposes.

              -rij
            • Dexter Forgenie
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 26, 2007
                For a Proxy/firewall server use either Ipcop <http://www.ipcop.org/>
                or Smoothwall
                Express <http://www.smoothwall.org/get/>. Both operate on dedicated
                machines, and give great options, for free.

                On 2/24/07, Richard Jobity <richjob@...> wrote:

                > Yahoo wrote:
                > > Hi all..
                > >

                > > Its me once more..
                > >

                > > I am reading more and more about ubuntu.. and it seems like its getting
                > > be one of the best Linux distros. even better than fedora.
                > >

                > > My question here is.
                > >

                > > Has anyone used it to set up a file server, LDAP, email, Collaboration
                > > software and a Proxy/firewall server ?
                > >

                > Honestly, there is a server-specific Ubuntu that does all that. But i
                > agree with Stephen. Dedicate a machine to that. You CAN run all those
                > services on one machine, but it creates a potential single point of
                > failure for a network.
                >
                > Something like ClarkConnect might be better for those purposes.
                >
                > -rij

              • Christian Anton
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 26, 2007
                  always one to beat a dead horse:

                  Ubuntu has a server 'sub-distro' which I have toyed with and really really love.

                  The philosophy used in creating this distro is basically 'do not install what you do not need'. It maintains a simple and easy install, giving you a nice basic system sans-crud that fatter distro's like FC (my former fav) shove down your throat. They don't pack a whole lotta features into obviously so if you want all the junk in the trunk, go elsewhere for less headache.

                • Falina Baksh
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 27, 2007
                    I find gentoo to be a nice option if you want a base system.

                    On 2/26/07, Christian Anton <christiananton@...> wrote:

                    > always one to beat a dead horse:
                    >
                    > Ubuntu has a server 'sub-distro' which I have toyed with and really really
                    > love.
                    >
                    > The philosophy used in creating this distro is basically 'do not install
                    > what you do not need'. It maintains a simple and easy install, giving you a
                    > nice basic system sans-crud that fatter distro's like FC (my former fav)
                    > shove down your throat. They don't pack a whole lotta features into
                    > obviously so if you want all the junk in the trunk, go elsewhere for less
                    > headache.

                  • Christian Anton
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 28, 2007
                      >I find gentoo to be a nice option if you want a base system.

                      Has Gentoo developed a STABLE stream yet?? I tried them once and liked it,
                      but everything was always bleeding edge.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 28, 2007
                        Gentoo is always bleeding edge by nature, though there must be a stable
                        emerge branch somewhere.

                        Sabayon is a nice way to get the latest Gentoo stuff in an easily
                        digestible and installable form.

                        -rij

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 1 5:39 AM
                          I like centOS's server CD for a quick server install, no GUI included on the
                          disc and yum available to install/update additionally required software.