Re: [TTLUG] Linux Distro Chooser

  • Kwesi Stewart
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 15, 2007
      This is a little embarassing to admit but I haven't got my TV card
      working under linux -- it is a MSI TV @nywhere Plus card, works fine
      under windows. I wanted to get it working to test the streaming for VLC
      but haven't. I got one distro to see the card and started MythTV but
      then I didn't know if we use PAL/NTSC here and what frequencies to use etc.
      I sent back the configuration of VLC+VLS to London where they will test
      with their DVB hardware. I don't even know if we get DVB here either...

      Calvin Harrigan wrote:

      > Have you done anything with Mythtv? I saw you were doing some TV
      > related stuff.
      >
      > Kwesi Stewart wrote:
      > <<> Debian, Ubuntu and Kbuntu.
      > >
      > > Right now I am getting along fine with Debian doing some DVB and
      > > satellite TV stuff with VLC + VLS.
      > >
      > > apt-get build-dep vlc vls downloaded 54MB of stuff and since then I
      > have
      > > been able to recompile as I like.
      > >
      > > I guess everyone has a different linux personality and or distro...
      > >

      > > Stephen Sankarsingh wrote:
      > >
      > >> It gave me Debian then Ubuntu, in that order.
      > >>

      > <snips>

    • kimaniidanieldotcom
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 15, 2007
        I'm downloading Dreamlinux 2.2 to try out, is the support any good?

        KD

        On 1/16/07, marcus.lewis@... <marcus.lewis@...> wrote:

        > Ubuntu then Debian ... In that order ...
        >
        > And since we are talking distros:
        >
        > Recently been playing with Gentoo, BLAG, Sabayon (Live DVD), Vector,
        > Simply Mepis, Damn Small, Puppy, E-Live, Zenwalk and Dreamlinux, Suse
        > 10.2,
        > Kanotix, in addition to the usual Fedora, Debian Etch, Knoppix and *untu
        > distros ...
        >
        > - My first preference is and remains Debian Etch everything I want / need
        > in a fast environment.
        > - *untu distros and Dreamlinux 2.2 makes a nice desktop for home not as
        > rock solid as Etch in my experience.
        > - E-Live is supposedly debian Etch with E16 and E17 pre-configured but
        > I've found it to be not as stable as Etch and you can tell it's still
        > being tweaked.
        > - Sabayon is Gentoo with all the bells and whistles ... It's beautiful,
        > but runs like arse on my POS desktop. Runs great on my Dell 6400 though.
        > I'm using
        > 3.25 which has been buggy but 3.26 is out with a heap of bug fixes.
        > - Zenwalk / Vector are Slack based ... never got into Slackware ... maybe
        > it's just me?
        > - BLAG has a frustrating installer if you defer from the defaults ... too
        > I'd just stick with Fedora.
        > - Gentoo has been a recent project that's a lot of fun to work with once
        > you have time and a decent Internet connection.
        > -Puppy has worked better for me, than Damn Small due to hardware
        > recognition. Too, Puppy is lightning fast, much faster than Damn Small.
        > - Knoppix is the supreme Live distro to get stuff done for me ... Not the
        > fastest live CD but the most powerful and stable for my usage.
        > - Kanotix is Knoppix with more stuff ... not as stable however, too
        > development seems to be stalled.
        > - Fedora Core 6 is solid, but Debian is better for me.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Marcus P. Lewis
        > Senior Systems Engineer
        > Carib Brewery
        > Phone : (868) 662-2231 Ext: 570
        > Fax: (868) 663-1780
        > mailto: marcus.lewis@... <marcus.lewis%40caribbeer.com>
        >
        > "Stephen Sankarsingh" <stephentnt@... <stephentnt%40gmail.com>>
        > Sent by: TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com>
        > 15/01/2007 01:59 PM
        > Please respond to TTLUG
        >
        > To: TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com>
        > cc:
        > Subject: Re: [TTLUG] Linux Distro Chooser
        >
        > It gave me Debian then Ubuntu, in that order.
        >
        > On 1/15/07, Richard Bailey <rmjb@... <rmjb%40mail.com>> wrote:
        > >
        > > For me it recommended Fedora or Ubuntu, in that order.
        > >
        > > http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
        > >
        > > - RB
        > >

        > --
        >
        > --Stephen Sankarsingh

        ----
        http://kimaniidaniel.com

      • Kerry Panchoo
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 15, 2007
          Fedora,
          Mandriva
          OpenSuSE..

          We found the following perfect match(es):

          Fedora
          Homepage: http://fedora.redhat.com/
          Screenshots: Click to view screenshots of this distribution
          The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to
          build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from open
          source software. Fedora Core is built to provide choice. It includes the
          latest versions of many software packages, including both GNOME and KDE
          desktop environments. Fedora Extras, a repository built entirely by
          volunteers, provides thousands more packages, and is enabled for use by
          default.

          In addition, we found these matches, sorted by how well they match:

          Mandriva
          Mandriva Linux (formerly known as Mandrake Linux) was created in 1998
          with the goal of making Linux easier to use for everyone. Mandriva
          offers all the power and stability of Linux to both individuals and
          professional users in an easy-to-use and pleasant environment.

          Visit Mandriva at: http://www.mandrivalinux.org/ Failed these criteria:
          # Does not use the desired desktop environment, but has it available

          OpenSuSE
          The openSUSE project is a community program sponsored by Novell.
          Promoting the use of Linux everywhere, this program provides free, easy
          access to the world's most usable Linux distribution, SUSE Linux.
          OpenSUSE delivers everything that Linux developers and enthusiasts need
          to get started with Linux. Hosted at opensuse.org, the project features
          easy access to builds and releases. It also offers extensive community
          development programs for open access to the development process used to
          create SUSE Linux.

          Visit OpenSuSE at: http://www.opensuse.org/
          Richard Bailey wrote:

          > For me it recommended Fedora or Ubuntu, in that order.
          >
          > http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/ <http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/>
          >
          > - RB

        • Vlade
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 15, 2007
            Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSuSE
            hmmm...

          • marcus.lewis@caribbeer.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 16, 2007
              To tell the truth, I had no issues with Dream 2.2, but I was looking for
              an English forum and couldn't find one...
              Take note of the update instructions :
              http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/tutorials/upgrade/upgrade.html

              Apparently, you are never supposed to use apt-get dist-upgrade ...

              Solid desktop though, XFCE4 is speedy with lots of eye candy, if you like
              the Mac desktop.

              Regards,

              Marcus P. Lewis
              Senior Systems Engineer
              Carib Brewery
              Phone : (868) 662-2231 Ext: 570
              Fax: (868) 663-1780
              mailto: marcus.lewis@...

              kimaniidanieldotcom <kimmyworld@...>
              Sent by: TTLUG@yahoogroups.com
              15/01/2007 04:02 PM
              Please respond to TTLUG

              To: TTLUG@yahoogroups.com
              cc:
              Subject: Re: [TTLUG] Linux Distro Chooser

              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ttlug
              TTLUG-subscribe@yahoogroups.com<TTLUG-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
              > List owner/moderator Richard Jobity__
              TTLUG-owner@yahoogroups.com<TTLUG-owner%40yahoogroups.com>

              ----
              http://kimaniidaniel.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 16, 2007
                Wow, that post generated a lot of replies!

                Even though the site gave me Fedora then Ubuntu, I use Ubuntu almost
                exclusively at home. I thought OpenSuSE wasn't in the list that it
                recommended, but I see some of you guys got it as a recommendation.

                I tried installing OpenSuSE 10.2 on another hard drive I have in my PC
                and it went through and copied all the files only to get problems
                installing the boot loader. I tried grub and lilo and both failed.
                I'll have to try again.

                - RB

                --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, Vlade <blacknwhite@...> wrote:

                > Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSuSE
                > hmmm...
                >
                > Kwesi Stewart wrote:
                > >
                > > Debian, Ubuntu and Kbuntu.
                > >
                > > Right now I am getting along fine with Debian doing some DVB and
                > > satellite TV stuff with VLC + VLS.
                > >
                > > apt-get build-dep vlc vls downloaded 54MB of stuff and since then
                I have
                > > been able to recompile as I like.
                > >
                > > I guess everyone has a different linux personality and or distro...
                > >
                > > Stephen Sankarsingh wrote:
                > >
                > > > It gave me Debian then Ubuntu, in that order.

              • Vasudev Seeram
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 17, 2007
                  Hi all,

                  Interestingly enough, it gave me Ubuntu and Fedora as
                  direct hits. My favourite distro is Fedora, followed
                  by Ubuntu.

                  Clients that I work with that use Linux often use Red
                  Hat EL, so Fedora is a natural choice. It's better for
                  me to be a poweruser of a single distro than to have a
                  smattering of knowledge of lots of distos.

                  I was searching a decision tree like this 1-2 years
                  ago, when I trying to settle on one distro. Glad to
                  see someone finally wrote it.

                  One quick question: Older distros used a graphical
                  text-based (ncurses-based) installer e.g. RH6. Are
                  these GUI installers or text installers? Are there any
                  distros that are true text installers (that is,
                  answering questions at a prompt)?

                  V.

                  --- Richard Bailey <rmjb@...> wrote:

                  > Wow, that post generated a lot of replies!
                  >
                  > Even though the site gave me Fedora then Ubuntu, I
                  > use Ubuntu almost
                  > exclusively at home. I thought OpenSuSE wasn't in
                  > the list that it
                  > recommended, but I see some of you guys got it as a
                  > recommendation.
                  >
                  > I tried installing OpenSuSE 10.2 on another hard
                  > drive I have in my PC
                  > and it went through and copied all the files only to
                  > get problems
                  > installing the boot loader. I tried grub and lilo
                  > and both failed.
                  > I'll have to try again.
                  >
                  > - RB

                  Never miss an email again!
                • Falina Baksh
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 17, 2007
                    The last time I tried to install Mandrake was when version 7 was
                    released...unfortunately that installation failed b'c it couldn't detect my
                    monitor. Funkydora I have used a lot... was introduced to it a yr and a half
                    ago.

                    *We found the following perfect match(es):*

                    Mandriva*Homepage:* http://www.mandrivalinux.org/
                    *Screenshots:* Click to view screenshots of this
                    distribution<http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=531&slide=24>Mandriva
                    Linux (formerly known as Mandrake Linux) was created in 1998 with the goal
                    of making Linux easier to use for everyone. Mandriva offers all the power
                    and stability of Linux to both individuals and professional users in an
                    easy-to-use and pleasant environment.

                    (*This distribution also has a "Live CD" you can use to test the
                    distribution before you install it*)
                    distribution<http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=596&slide=28>The
                    goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to build a
                    complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from open source
                    software. Fedora Core is built to provide choice. It includes the latest
                    versions of many software packages, including both GNOME and KDE desktop
                    environments. Fedora Extras, a repository built entirely by volunteers,
                    provides thousands more packages, and is enabled for use by default.
                    *
                    *