Re: [TTLUG] Ubuntu Open Week

    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
      This is awesome, actually got to help out a nub or two and learnt some
      stuff i otherwise wouldn't have come across. I almost want to ditch XP
      right away and install ubuntu (but i won't since i may want to play civ4
      still). Been on it since last night and now someone is offering to teach
      me a little phython on IRC for one hour each week :)

      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
        To tell you the truth I can't remember the last time I booted Windows
        on my home PC.

        And Civ4 is supported by Cedega:
        http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4004

        So what I'm saying is... do it!

        - RB

        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
          Indeed.

          If even a numbskull like me can run Linux at home (365 days plus and
          counting) and do what I need to do, then anyone should be able to do it.

          -rij

          ________________________________

          --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com> , Stephen
          Sankarsingh <stephentnt@...> wrote:

          > This is awesome, actually got to help out a nub or two and learnt some
          > stuff i otherwise wouldn't have come across. I almost want to ditch XP
          > right away and install ubuntu (but i won't since i may want to play
          civ4
          > still). Been on it since last night and now someone is offering to
          teach
          > me a little phython on IRC for one hour each week :)
          >

          > Richard Bailey wrote:
          > > Well it's not too late for this. This week Ubuntu is having an Open
          > > Week where there's a bunch of sessions in IRC throughout the week
          > > imparting knowledge about how Ubuntu is structured, how the
          > > translation tool works, how to package for Ubuntu (and by extension
          > > any Debian based distro) and a bunch of other items.
          > >
          > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek
          <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek>

          > > Even if you're not an Ubuntu user these sessions can still benefit.
          > > The least is will do is show you how a popular Linux distro is
          made up.

          > > - RB

        • kimaniidanieldotcom
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
            Richard,

            If u'r a numskull, then i'm Albert Einstein. I've been running Ubuntu for
            2.5 months now, I upgraded from dapper to edge, got XGL + beryl working and
            even got my bluetooth logitech mouse working better than in windows. I was
            going all good then I got some web development todo, so i go over to windows
            to use dreamweaver, while doing that windows froze because someone sent me a
            file over google talk. Now i'm back in ubuntu i'm having a problem doing the
            webdevelopment work, NVU cannot open PHP files, that's a big problem for me
            in that I need a wysiwyg editor to design my web forms and tables. I want to
            stay on my linux side.... any idea guys?

            Kimanii

            On 12/1/06, Richard Jobity <RichardJ@...> wrote:

            > Indeed.
            >
            > If even a numbskull like me can run Linux at home (365 days plus and
            > counting) and do what I need to do, then anyone should be able to do it.
            >
            > -rij
            >
            > ________________________________

            Kimanii G. Daniel
            St. Lucia: 758.519.3720
            Grenada: 473.403.7954

          • Kwesi Stewart
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
              kimanii

              When I was forced to do my php coding in NVU I used to 'try a thing'

              first, design all my pages and save as html
              second, do all my php scripts in SCITE (this used to be sort of a
              problem because it forced me to do all my PHP coding in the top of the
              document (before the head) as time went by however I find my coding had
              improved and it is a good practice
              third, run a script that would combine my php and html files and save in
              an output directory so /x.php + /x.html = /output/x.html
              fourth, reopen the saved html files and add things like dynamic values
              in text boxes, repeating rows etc
              (you can do this in NVU or SCITE)
              fifth, copy the saved html files to php and upload

              for editing, things were a little different:
              run a script that changes php tags to comments ie. <?php becomes <!--
              and ?> becomes -->. I would leave anything like <?=$username?> etc untouched
              rename files to html
              make cosmetic changes in NVU
              revert comments to php (btw, 'real comments' would look like <!--
              #HTMLCOMMENT# -->)
              rename to php
              upload.

              sounds tedious, i know... but once you got the hang of it, it wasn't too
              bad. It also forces separation between code and html... gave me a .net feel.
              i was thinking about writing a code generator for NVU or going in there
              and adding some php support but i never got around to it. instead i
              ended up writing a code generator in PHP. it worked fine for sometime
              until i broke it with some complex database relationships.

              these days i am too busy with C#, MSSQL and point of sale systems anyway :(

              kimanni what i would suggest overall cuz i realize you LOVE the
              wysisyg'ness of NVU/Dreamweaver is to design in NVU and then hand code
              the php in there from a nice editor like SCITE. I like SCITE cuz i can
              get the php autocompletion and hinting in there and also I have it
              working in windows as well. What i like the most about NVU is it gives
              pretty accessible HTML/XHTML code that makes sense and renders pretty
              well without me having to rack my brains too much. Once i settle on a
              design i tend not to return to NVU at all unless I have to make a change.

              Tell me how it goes...

              peace
              Kwesi.

              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                Why use NVU to edit php files?

                Use the text editor of you choice to actually edit the php. View in the
                browser of your choice. I don't think nvu was ever designed to live
                edit php.

                ________________________________

> [...]

                > teach
                > > me a little phython on IRC for one hour each week :)
                > >

                > > Richard Bailey wrote:
                > > > Well it's not too late for this. This week Ubuntu is having an
                Open
                > > > Week where there's a bunch of sessions in IRC throughout the week
                > > > imparting knowledge about how Ubuntu is structured, how the
                > > > translation tool works, how to package for Ubuntu (and by
                extension
                > > > any Debian based distro) and a bunch of other items.
                > > >
                > > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek
                <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek>
                > <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek
                <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek> >

                > > > Even if you're not an Ubuntu user these sessions can still
                benefit.
                > > > The least is will do is show you how a popular Linux distro is

                Kimanii G. Daniel
                St. Lucia: 758.519.3720
                Grenada: 473.403.7954

                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Just throwing some ideas out, though Kwesi's ideas sound workable.

                  http://www.phpbuilder.com/board/showthread.php?t=10264772 looked at
                  WYSIWYG in PHp. You might find some guidance there.

                  http://xstandard.com/ might be useful...

                  http://www.myeclipseide.com/ContentExpress-display-ceid-15.html?gclid=CP
                  206svY8YgCFRs4UAodminyeQ

                  Java, but you never know.

                  ________________________________

[...]

                  :(

                  kimanni what i would suggest overall cuz i realize you LOVE the
                  wysisyg'ness of NVU/Dreamweaver is to design in NVU and then hand code
                  the php in there from a nice editor like SCITE. I like SCITE cuz i can
                  get the php autocompletion and hinting in there and also I have it
                  working in windows as well. What i like the most about NVU is it gives
                  pretty accessible HTML/XHTML code that makes sense and renders pretty
                  well without me having to rack my brains too much. Once i settle on a
                  design i tend not to return to NVU at all unless I have to make a
                  change.

                  Tell me how it goes...

                  peace
                  Kwesi.

                  kimaniidanieldotcom wrote:

                  > Richard,
                  >
                  > If u'r a numskull, then i'm Albert Einstein. I've been running Ubuntu
                  for
                  > 2.5 months now, I upgraded from dapper to edge, got XGL + beryl
                  > working and
                  > even got my bluetooth logitech mouse working better than in windows. I
                  was
                  > going all good then I got some web development todo, so i go over to
                  > windows
                  > to use dreamweaver, while doing that windows froze because someone
                  > sent me a
                  > file over google talk. Now i'm back in ubuntu i'm having a problem
                  > doing the
                  > webdevelopment work, NVU cannot open PHP files, that's a big problem
                  > for me
                  > in that I need a wysiwyg editor to design my web forms and tables. I
                  > want to
                  > stay on my linux side.... any idea guys?
                  >
                  > Kimanii
                  >
                  > On 12/1/06, Richard Jobity <RichardJ@...
                  <mailto:RichardJ%40ngc.co.tt>
                  > <mailto:RichardJ%40ngc.co.tt>> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Indeed.
                  > >
                  > > If even a numbskull like me can run Linux at home (365 days plus and
                  > > counting) and do what I need to do, then anyone should be able to do
                  it.

                  > > -rij
                  > >
                  > > ________________________________
                  > >
                  > > From: TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <mailto:TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > <TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
                  > > TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > To tell you the truth I can't remember the last time I booted
                  Windows
                  > > on my home PC.
                  > >
                  > > And Civ4 is supported by Cedega:
                  > > http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4004
                  <http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4004>
                  > <http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4004
                  <http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4004> >
                  > > <http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4004
                  <http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4004>
                  > <http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4004
                  <http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4004> >>

                  > > So what I'm saying is... do it!
                  > >
                  > > - RB
                  > >
                  > > --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com>
                  <mailto:TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > <TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:TTLUG%<TTLUG%25>
                  > > 40yahoogroups.com> , Stephen
                  > > Sankarsingh <stephentnt@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > This is awesome, actually got to help out a nub or two and learnt
                  some
                  > > > stuff i otherwise wouldn't have come across. I almost want to
                  ditch XP
                  > > > right away and install ubuntu (but i won't since i may want to
                  play
                  > > civ4
                  > > > still). Been on it since last night and now someone is offering to
                  > > teach
                  > > > me a little phython on IRC for one hour each week :)

                  Open

                  <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek>
                  > <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek
                  <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek> >
                  > > <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek
                  <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek>
                  > <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek
                  <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek> >>

                  > > made up.

                  > Kimanii G. Daniel
                  > St. Lucia: 758.519.3720
                  > Grenada: 473.403.7954

                • kimaniidanieldotcom
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                    Editing the PHP by hand is not a problem for me, actually i prefer to do
                    that, even windows/dreamweaver I did all the php by hand. My problem is when
                    i bring that php page back into NVU to make a change on the design of the
                    objects of the page (like add a table or text box etc), NVU does nto
                    recognise php at all... and i think it erases the PHP code if i change the
                    file to html.. :(

                    Kwesi, your method sounds tedious indeed but i will see what works out.

                    Kimanii G. Daniel
                    St. Lucia: 758.519.3720
                    Grenada: 473.403.7954

                  • kimaniidanieldotcom
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                      thanks Richard... I just checked NVU with php code and it does not remove
                      the php code from the html file. So I can work with that for now.

                      Kimanii G. Daniel
                      St. Lucia: 758.519.3720
                      Grenada: 473.403.7954

                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                        apparently dreamweaver installs easily under wine, that was one of the
                        things they spoke about in #ubuntu at some point in time.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                          hmmm... I also have all my very nice image processing software to wonder
                          about. I hate dual booting but maybe that is what I should do.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 1, 2006
                            Some guys on the Linux Link Tech Show are php developers in their day
                            job and they mentioned Quanta ( http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/ ). I
                            dunno if it's WYSIWYG though.

                            - RB

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 21, 2007
                              My aunt's machine was infected by spyware after my cousin visited her
                              for a couple days and played online poker etc. It got to the point where
                              she was able to connect to the internet but then it would just stall
                              with whatever spyware was installed.

                              All she does is check email, surf the net for different cake sites and
                              occasionally types a document. No games. She's on dialup so it's slow
                              by default. I decided to overhaul her machine so now it's running Edgy
                              with XGL+Beryl it looks so damn awesome. I can't stop drooling over it :)

                              It's moving at light speed on an old NForce2 motherboard with onboard
                              video and 256MB shared RAM

                              There's a big Firefox icon and an e-mail icon next to it by default so
                              she shouldn't have a problem finding her way around. Open Office is
                              somewhere about as well, haven't looked at it yet. So far I just spent a
                              lot of time spinning the desktop around and around and around and around
                              using the mouse wheel ofcourse :)

                              Note: I haven't actually plugged in my old 56k external modem into it
                              yet but I don't anticipate any problems.
                              /Stephen

                              Richard Bailey wrote:
                              > To tell you the truth I can't remember the last time I booted Windows
                              > on my home PC.
                              >
                              > And Civ4 is supported by Cedega:
                              > http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4004
                              >
                              > So what I'm saying is... do it!
                              >
                              > - RB
                              >
                              > --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Sankarsingh <stephentnt@...> wrote:
                              >> This is awesome, actually got to help out a nub or two and learnt some
                              >> stuff i otherwise wouldn't have come across. I almost want to ditch XP
                              >> right away and install ubuntu (but i won't since i may want to play civ4
                              >> still). Been on it since last night and now someone is offering to teach
                              >> me a little phython on IRC for one hour each week :)
                              >>

                              >> Richard Bailey wrote:
                              >>> Well it's not too late for this. This week Ubuntu is having an Open
                              >>> Week where there's a bunch of sessions in IRC throughout the week
                              >>> imparting knowledge about how Ubuntu is structured, how the
                              >>> translation tool works, how to package for Ubuntu (and by extension
                              >>> any Debian based distro) and a bunch of other items.
                              >>>
                              >>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek
                              >>>
                              >>> Even if you're not an Ubuntu user these sessions can still benefit.
                              >>> The least is will do is show you how a popular Linux distro is
                              > made up.
                              >>> - RB

                            • Raul Bermudez
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 21, 2007
                                Tell her that http://www.enticingcakes.com is in Trincity.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 21, 2007
                                  Won't help her much, she's in Westmoorings and she makes them herself :p

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 21, 2007
                                    Sorry, but http://www.eastmoorings.com is as far as we go. ;)

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 22, 2007
                                      Hey Stephen, it's great to hear your aunt will be using Ubuntu. I have
                                      a user whose PC I have to pick up later and I'm wondering if to do the
                                      same. I think all she does is some browsing and email, maybe some word
                                      processing and not much else.

                                      I'm weary though, if she tries to do anything out of the ordinary
                                      she'll be in territory where she'll be lost and calling me all the
                                      time. Like trying to hook her phone up to the PC or some fancy camera.
                                      Linux can do these things, and people like us can figure them out, but
                                      all the resources that come with peripherals is for windows, same with
                                      the majority of help on the net...

                                      I'll see how things go.

                                      - RB

                                      --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Sankarsingh <stephentnt@...> wrote:

                                      > My aunt's machine was infected by spyware after my cousin visited her
                                      > for a couple days and played online poker etc. It got to the point where
                                      > she was able to connect to the internet but then it would just stall
                                      > with whatever spyware was installed.
                                      >
                                      > All she does is check email, surf the net for different cake sites and
                                      > occasionally types a document. No games. She's on dialup so it's slow
                                      > by default. I decided to overhaul her machine so now it's running Edgy
                                      > with XGL+Beryl it looks so damn awesome. I can't stop drooling over
                                      it :)

                                      > It's moving at light speed on an old NForce2 motherboard with onboard
                                      > video and 256MB shared RAM
                                      >
                                      > There's a big Firefox icon and an e-mail icon next to it by default so
                                      > she shouldn't have a problem finding her way around. Open Office is
                                      > somewhere about as well, haven't looked at it yet. So far I just spent a
                                      > lot of time spinning the desktop around and around and around and around
                                      > using the mouse wheel ofcourse :)
                                      >
                                      > Note: I haven't actually plugged in my old 56k external modem into it
                                      > yet but I don't anticipate any problems.
                                      > /Stephen

                                    • kimaniidanieldotcom
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 22, 2007
                                        Dual boot. Make Linux the default startup OS. Setup the Ubuntu with all the
                                        icons she needs on the desktop. Run all updates on windows and Ubuntu. So
                                        just in case she's trying to use her fancy webcam and is having problems in
                                        Ubuntu she can always restart into Windows. :o)

                                        KD

                                        --
                                        ----
                                        http://www.kimaniidaniel.com

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 22, 2007
                                          Oh goodness.

                                          I wish I could do that. :P

                                          However, given that people of a certain age (in my experience) prefer to
                                          be led by their fellow know-littles, I'll have to bite the bullet and
                                          install XP as a fix for a borking Windows 98 SE install.

                                          As I have to do tech support and my time is limited (and the person
                                          still has a case of PC fear) ... bleah.

                                          I would prefer to install Ubuntu, but the person is wedded to a bunch of
                                          crappy legacy MS applications. I don't even know IF they work in XP.

                                          Plus I not willing to do the modem dance. I lacking patience these
                                          days.

                                          ________________________________

                                          --
                                          ----
                                          http://www.kimaniidaniel.com <http://www.kimaniidaniel.com>

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 22, 2007
                                            She's is on dial-up remember? Also, she isn't the kind to get a
                                            webcam, even if she did she'd ask me to set it up for her regardless
                                            of it being Windows, DOS, OS/2 or Ubuntu.

                                            The most she'll want is a printer and I'll tell her exactly which one
                                            to get when that time comes.

                                            The Ubuntu came with 2 of the 4 icons that she'll need to use, the
                                            others being the one to connect to the internet and Open Office.

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 22, 2007
                                              Hence, the external modem.

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 22, 2007
                                                Ah.

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 23, 2007
                                                  For these kinds of users dual boot wont work. It's too complex.
                                                  They'll just use what's default and find it is too much headache to
                                                  switch.

                                                  --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, kimaniidanieldotcom <kimmyworld@...> wrote:

                                                  > Dual boot. Make Linux the default startup OS. Setup the Ubuntu with
                                                  all the
                                                  > icons she needs on the desktop. Run all updates on windows and
                                                  Ubuntu. So
                                                  > just in case she's trying to use her fancy webcam and is having
                                                  problems in
                                                  > Ubuntu she can always restart into Windows. :o)
                                                  >
                                                  > KD

                                                • Falina Baksh
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 23, 2007
                                                    I used to work at a company that had all their end-users on linux. Once the
                                                    users got accustomed to the idea of something different from windows they
                                                    adjusted

                                                    On 1/23/07, Richard Bailey <rmjb@...> wrote:

                                                    > For these kinds of users dual boot wont work. It's too complex.
                                                    > They'll just use what's default and find it is too much headache to
                                                    > switch.
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                                    > kimaniidanieldotcom <kimmyworld@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Dual boot. Make Linux the default startup OS. Setup the Ubuntu with
                                                    > all the
                                                    > > icons she needs on the desktop. Run all updates on windows and
                                                    > Ubuntu. So
                                                    > > just in case she's trying to use her fancy webcam and is having
                                                    > problems in
                                                    > > Ubuntu she can always restart into Windows. :o)
                                                    > >
                                                    > > KD

                                                  • cyeemon
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 23, 2007
                                                      There are two options. Quanta which is a really fully featured web
                                                      development system and there's also Bluefish which is the same kinda
                                                      thing.

                                                    • kimaniidanieldotcom
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 24, 2007
                                                        Quanta or Bluefish just don't cut it..

                                                        Kimanii Daniel

                                                        ----

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jan 24, 2007
                                                          What the fall out like? How many employees left because of the change?

                                                          KD

                                                          ----

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jan 25, 2007
                                                            None that I know of. They compained at first but the company had training
                                                            sessions with each dept, and they just learnt to use it.