The UNIX Haters Handbook

  • Ansar Mohammed
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2006
      For those of you that know me, you know that the only OS I truly hate is
      SCO, and that it has nothing to do with the lawsuit, I hated it way before
      that. This is a pretty good book from a pretty smart guy. It's a good read
      if you have an open mind, some things may not apply anymore.

      http://research.microsoft.com/~daniel/uhh-download.html

      <snip>
      * This book is ten years old . I started work on it in 1992 (maybe
      even 1991) while I was a professor at Stanford. My co-editors took over
      after I started work at Microsoft. (So no, it's not a Microsoft conspiracy.)
      A lot has happened in the intervening decade.
      * This book's target audience was people who themselves have noticed
      certain weaknesses in Unix at that time and could relate to our stories. Our
      goal was humor. Many readers have told us we succeeded in this. Even Eric
      Raymond liked it (his name is in the acknowledgements).
      * The book is not meant to be balanced, it is a screed, pure and
      simple. Is it over the top? Yes.
      * We wrote the contract with our publisher to have the copyright
      revert to us once the book went out of print. So yes, we have the right to
      publish it online. Feel free to mirror it where ever you want, print it out,
      and bind it.
      * Do I have any regrets? Yes, that the funniest item in the book
      probably isn't anything we wrote, but is Dennis Ritchie's anti-forword. We
      had asked Dennis to write a forword, thinking that since he was doing Plan 9
      at that time it would give him an opportunity to talk about how he had moved
      on from Unix and fixed its flaws in his next OS. (We were young and had a
      lot chutzpah then.) He read the Preface, and then sent back his essay. He
      told us he had worked hard to make it match the tone of its surroundings.
      * If you enjoyed reading this book and felt it was worth the price of
      a least a movie and popcorn, send a $10 check to your favorite charity.
      </snip>

    • Nolan Joseph
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2006
        Ha ha, yeah I have this book somewhere. Never got around to reading it
        in it's entirety, though. Hmm, maybe now might be a good time with my
        vacation coming up and all...8)

        NJ

[...]

        young and had a lot of chutzpah then.) He read the Preface, and then
        sent back his essay. He told us he had worked hard to make it match the
        tone of its surroundings.
        * If you enjoyed reading this book and felt it was worth the price
        of
        a least a movie and popcorn, send a $10 check to your favorite charity.
        </snip>

        Trinidad and Tobago Linux Users Group
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ttlug

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        This message (and any attachments) contains information that may be confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or any parts of it, please immediately contact the sender and delete the message from your system. No other person is authorized to copy, forward, distribute, disseminate or retain this message in any form. Guardian Holdings Limited and its member companies shall not be liable for the incomplete transmission of this message or any delay in its receipt and does not guarantee that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions, and interference.

        Este mensaje (y cualquier anexo) contiene informaci�n que puede ser confidencial y protegida de revelaci�n. Si usted no es el recipiente intencionado de este mensaje o de cualquier parte, notif�quelo inmediatamente al remitente y borre este mensaje y todas sus copias de su sistema. Ninguna otra persona est� autorizada a copiar, expedir, distribuir, diseminar o retener este mensaje en cualquier forma. Guardian Holdings y sus compa��as filiales no acepta responsabilidad alguna por cualquier error u omisi�n que surja como resultado de la transmisi�n incompleta de este mensaje o ninguna tardanza de su recibo y no garantizan que esta comunicaci�n no contiene virus, interceptaciones, e interferencia.