Re: Running Linux and Hacking Code

  • shivanand_chanderbally
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 30, 2006
      Talking about IRC and helping out, does this group have an IRC channel
      that people hang out on?

      --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "Jacqueline Morris"
      <jacqueline.morris@...> wrote:

      > Lovely answer - I agree 100%
      > Jacqueline
      >
      > On 9/30/06, solooooong <solooooong@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't like flames either and am pretty new to this group but...
      > >
      > > How can you say that?
      > > Running Linux is one step. Not everyone wants to hack code and not
      > > everyone should. Should the community exclude people who just want a
      > > working Linux distribution?
      > >
      > > And even if running Linux is the only step then so be it. Don't you
      > > want a wider user base?
      > >
      > > Some people run the ready-to-go distros because even if they can
      > > fiddle with it, they don't always want to. They do need time to...you
      > > know...get their other work done!
      > >
      > > If my mom uses Kubuntu and is happy with how I set it up for her, then
      > > yes she is running Linux.
      > >
      > > If my mom learns how to do some basic *nix file management commands
      > > then yes I think she's running Linux.
      > >
      > > If she wants to install something and she apt-get's it without any
      > > help from me, then she's running Linux.
      > >
      > > If one day she follows the instructions to download source and make
      > > and install it without understanding what she's doing she's
      running Linux.

      > > She'll eventually learn what to do and not to do and maybe she might
      > > be even curious to ask, well what's that? And if she doesn't learn
      > > what's the big deal? She's still running it and telling people that's
      > > what she's using and that's good, no? Much different from say my dad
      > > who protested the different OSs that are floating around the house.
      > >
      > > Also, if you figured out the problem, then don't complain about how
      > > nobody else did and it's so easy anybody should be able to do it. How
      > > is that helpful? Providing the solution would be much better and in
      > > public for people who might be having the same problem. We're not all
      > > geniuses out of the box, you know (well, maybe some of us are, I don't
      > > know).
      > >
      > > I think being helpful should be one of the conditions for saying you
      > > run Linux. And not scaring people away from running linux because they
      > > don't think they can hack things.

      > > > Three years later I rejoined to find the community a bit
      > > > diminished.... Oh come on guys/gals compiling kernels is easy
      and old
      > > > news. To say you run linux is not exactly running Ubuntu / SuSE
      where
      > > > everything is ready to go. Try building SVN source and those and see
      > > > how far you go. Its about code hacking. Heck I'm not even a
      programmer
      > > > and I do it.
      > > >
      > > > Sad to say Richard was a bit right; the Linux community is
      relatively
      > > > dead....
      > > >

      > --
      > Jacqueline Morris
      > www.carnivalondenet.com
      > T&T Music and videos online

    • Raul Bermudez
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2006
        You post questions to a list to give other people a sense of purpose by
        having them Google it for you. -I thought it was obvious to everyone.

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2006
          Finally a chance to respond. Yeah I know this list is kinda dead for
          Linux topics, I expressed this concern before. That's why I'm trying
          to start some discussions myself.

          I listen to these Linux podcasts and I hear what other LUGs are doing
          an I think that the TTLUG should be doing things like that too, but
          you have to crawl before you can walk. So my first few topics are
          along the lines of "Why aren't you using Linux now?", "How would/do
          you contribute?" I don't start with the deep or big topics like low
          level troubleshooting and proposing having a series of half-hour shows
          on Gayelle talking about Free and Open Source Software... though
          that's the level that some LUGs are up to.

          I hope that by building up the level of participation in the LUG, one
          step at a time, we can get more active members, and then we can do
          advocacy and development projects of our own.

          Something simple like constructing the en_TT locale for Linux is
          something I want to start with... I'll probably ask for this list's
          advice on certain things when I get to them... but if I get no

          So my overall point is, try not to be disappointed, I kinda expect low
          levels of participation for now, but I'm working to change that and
          you can too.

          - RB

          --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "fs2_beem" <fs2_beem@...> wrote:

          > --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "fs2_beem" <fs2_beem@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Ah ha here it is, a linux post relief :]
          > >

          > > Running Slackware. Sort of current as of last month....
          > > Linux SobeK 2.6.17.13 #1 PREEMPT Tue Sep 12 10:07:36 VET 2006 i686
          > > athlon-4 i386 GNU/Linux
          > >
          > > Has anyone compiled and gotten dbus + hal + udev to automatically
          > > detect and mount inserted media?
          > >
          > > I've no luck.
          > >
          > > I use KDE/Fluxbox BUT I'd prefer such a service/hack to be desktop X
          > > independant.
          > >

          > You know I'm kinda dissappointed with the response time of this thread.
          > I got it working myself.
          >
          > I was was once a TTLUG member in 2003. I left. Seems like most
          > everyone was concerned with flame wars/propoganda etc.
          >
          > Three years later I rejoined to find the community a bit
          > diminished.... Oh come on guys/gals compiling kernels is easy and old
          > news. To say you run linux is not exactly running Ubuntu / SuSE where
          > everything is ready to go. Try building SVN source and those and see
          > how far you go. Its about code hacking. Heck I'm not even a programmer
          > and I do it.
          >
          > Sad to say Richard was a bit right; the Linux community is relatively
          > dead....

        • fs2_beem
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2006
            --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Bailey" <rmjb@...> wrote:

            > Finally a chance to respond. Yeah I know this list is kinda dead for
            > Linux topics, I expressed this concern before. That's why I'm trying
            > to start some discussions myself.
            >
            > I listen to these Linux podcasts and I hear what other LUGs are doing
            > an I think that the TTLUG should be doing things like that too, but
            > you have to crawl before you can walk. So my first few topics are
            > along the lines of "Why aren't you using Linux now?", "How would/do
            > you contribute?" I don't start with the deep or big topics like low
            > level troubleshooting and proposing having a series of half-hour shows
            > on Gayelle talking about Free and Open Source Software... though
            > that's the level that some LUGs are up to.
            >
            > I hope that by building up the level of participation in the LUG, one
            > step at a time, we can get more active members, and then we can do
            > advocacy and development projects of our own.
            >
            > Something simple like constructing the en_TT locale for Linux is
            > something I want to start with... I'll probably ask for this list's
            > advice on certain things when I get to them... but if I get no
            >
            > So my overall point is, try not to be disappointed, I kinda expect low
            > levels of participation for now, but I'm working to change that and
            > you can too.
            >

            > - RB

            Oops I umm now back home. <long wedding / fet / beach weekend>

            Really I'm glad to hear that. Heh; nice number of replies and votes of
            concern.
            My intentions were not to initiate any flame wars as such but a cry to
            what you have just said.

            I think that an irc will provide a significant boost in this arena.

            hal/dbus are userspace applications reponsible for the automatically
            detection/mounting of removable media (usb/digital cams etc) . No
            /etc/fstab entry is necessary anymore. <for whoever was asking pmount
            is a gnome utility used to manually mount media with user priv>
          • Kerry Panchoo
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
              let me ask-
              do regular meetings take place forthnightly or monthly?

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                Not for a long time.

                Venue problems.

                Richard Bailey wrote:

                > Finally a chance to respond. Yeah I know this list is kinda dead for
                > Linux topics, I expressed this concern before. That's why I'm trying
                > to start some discussions myself.
                >
                > I listen to these Linux podcasts and I hear what other LUGs are doing
                > an I think that the TTLUG should be doing things like that too, but
                > you have to crawl before you can walk. So my first few topics are
                > along the lines of "Why aren't you using Linux now?", "How would/do
                > you contribute?" I don't start with the deep or big topics like low
                > level troubleshooting and proposing having a series of half-hour shows

                > on Gayelle talking about Free and Open Source Software... though
                > that's the level that some LUGs are up to.
                >
                > I hope that by building up the level of participation in the LUG, one
                > step at a time, we can get more active members, and then we can do
                > advocacy and development projects of our own.
                >
                > Something simple like constructing the en_TT locale for Linux is
                > something I want to start with... I'll probably ask for this list's
                > advice on certain things when I get to them... but if I get no
                >
                > So my overall point is, try not to be disappointed, I kinda expect low

                > levels of participation for now, but I'm working to change that and
                > you can too.
                >
                > - RB
                >
                > --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "fs2_beem" <fs2_beem@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TTLUG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "fs2_beem" <fs2_beem@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Ah ha here it is, a linux post relief :] > > > > > > Running
                > Slackware. Sort of current as of last month....
                > > > Linux SobeK 2.6.17.13 #1 PREEMPT Tue Sep 12 10:07:36 VET 2006
                > i686 > > athlon-4 i386 GNU/Linux > > > > Has anyone compiled and
                > gotten dbus + hal + udev to automatically > > detect and mount
                > inserted media?
                > > >
                > > > I've no luck.
                > > >
                > > > I use KDE/Fluxbox BUT I'd prefer such a service/hack to be
                > desktop X > > independant.
                > > >

                > > You know I'm kinda dissappointed with the response time of this
                thread.
                > > I got it working myself.
                > >
                > > I was was once a TTLUG member in 2003. I left. Seems like most >
                > everyone was concerned with flame wars/propoganda etc.
                > >
                > > Three years later I rejoined to find the community a bit >
                > diminished.... Oh come on guys/gals compiling kernels is easy and old

                > > news. To say you run linux is not exactly running Ubuntu / SuSE
                > where > everything is ready to go. Try building SVN source and those
                > and see > how far you go. Its about code hacking. Heck I'm not even a

                > programmer > and I do it.
                > >
                > > Sad to say Richard was a bit right; the Linux community is
                > relatively > dead....

                Trinidad and Tobago Linux Users Group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ttlug

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Raul Bermudez
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                  IRC is a great idea great idea, and if we can get it with subtitles for the
                  uninitiated, even better.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                    hmmm that should be a priority, regular meetings means membership
                    becomes more active, even if it some guys mocking about with a distro or
                    two.

                    Sorting out a location should be priority, i'm sure theres a few list
                    members with a few ideas.. UWI, corporate, school..cyber cafe ??? anyone?

                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                      i idle on irc all day long.

                      Raul Bermudez wrote:
                      > IRC is a great idea great idea, and if we can get it with subtitles for the
                      > uninitiated, even better.

                    • kimaniidanieldotcom
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                        I prefer the mailing list. I don't think this group is active enough for an
                        IRC channel

                        KD.

                        --
                        Kimanii G. Daniel
                        St. Lucia: 758.519.3720

                      • Raul Bermudez
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 2, 2006
                          On second thought... :)

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2006
                            lol

                            Raul Bermudez wrote:
                            > On second thought... :)
                            >
                            >> From: Stephen Sankarsingh <stephentnt@...>
                            >>
                            >> i idle on irc all day long.
                            >>
                            >>> Raul Bermudez wrote:
                            >>>
                            >>> IRC is a great idea...

                          • Trevor Christian
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 4, 2006
                              On 02/10/06, kimaniidanieldotcom <kimmyworld@...> wrote:

                              > I prefer the mailing list. I don't think this group is active enough for
                              > an
                              > IRC channel

                              I agree... This was done for another LUG and the room activity eventually
                              dwindled to none

                              --
                              Trevor "TeC" Christian
                              Cell #: (767) 225 4472