Contributing back to the Linux community

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2006
      So, have any of you all contributed back to the Linux community in
      general or considered it? The most recent episode of the LugRadio
      podcast ( http://www.lugradio.org/episodes/61 ) had a segment on
      contributing to Linux and this blog post (
      http://nongeeksight.blogspot.com/2006/09/5-ways-to-contribute-to-open-source.html
      ) listed some ways people can contribute to open source.

      - RB
    • solooooong
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
        Well, I would like to contribute.

        So far it's only been a little bit of cash...and if hanging out on an
        IRC channel/mailing lists and asking for help and sticking around and
        trying to help if possible counts...

        --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Bailey" <rmjb@...> wrote:

        > So, have any of you all contributed back to the Linux community in
        > general or considered it? The most recent episode of the LugRadio
        > podcast ( http://www.lugradio.org/episodes/61 ) had a segment on
        > contributing to Linux and this blog post (

        http://nongeeksight.blogspot.com/2006/09/5-ways-to-contribute-to-open-source.html
        > ) listed some ways people can contribute to open source.
        >
        > - RB

      • Trevor Christian
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
          Friend and I joined in on the fedora-websites-list re fedoraproject.org's
          development and done some IRC querying and answering; Also a little on
          linuxquestions.org.

          Not that great a contribution... but hopefully in time, we'll be able to do
          more.

          --
          Trevor "TeC" Christian
          Cell #: (767) 225 4472

        • Sherwin Ramnarine
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2006
            Well from the 5 Ways To Contribute blog post, I contribute #5:
            Publicity. How? I've evangelised at work and to friends:
            * Firefox
            * TrueCrypt
            * OpenOffice
            * Thunderbird

            I've also used Nvu. I'm a proponent of great-working, tried-and-tested
            Free and Open Source apps on Windows. I've never used Linux, but I'm
            not saying I never will either. As a business user, I don't have the
            time to tinker with the source code. I'll leave that to you
            programmers. I make a case for the cheaper,
            works-just-as-good-or-even-better, more secure alternative.

            Here's my contribution though to #1: Quality. There's a feature in
            OpenOffice's Writer that I use sometimes in MS Word. It's to put a
            watermark in documents. That's my suggestion. Can someone make that
            happen?

            I will consider also the other ways of contributing to the community.
            I never even thought of writing documentation and checking spelling etc.

            Other apps I'd consider using/evangelising after I play with it a
            little and get some user feedback are:
            * Scribus
            * Gimp/Gimpshop
            * Mambo
            * Wordpress
            * Open Workbench

            That was a great blog post. I'll add that to my del.icio.us links.

            Regards,

            Sherwin Ramnarine
            Search Engine Optimization & Internet Marketing
            sherwinr@...
            868.678.4180

            --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Bailey" <rmjb@...> wrote:

            > So, have any of you all contributed back to the Linux community in
            > general or considered it? The most recent episode of the LugRadio
            > podcast ( http://www.lugradio.org/episodes/61 ) had a segment on
            > contributing to Linux and this blog post (
            >http://nongeeksight.blogspot.com/2006/09/5-ways-to-contribute-to-open-source.html
            > ) listed some ways people can contribute to open source.
            >
            > - RB

          • fs2_beem
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
              At my short work stay at the new University Of Trinidad and Tobago
              campus in O'Meara, I saw 3 people using OpenOffice. These members of
              staff choose to use it because they found had a cool feature; PDFs. So
              I have passively introduced others to it. <Don't ever try to force an
              Exel expert out of their MS comfort zone>

              Bleh who really wants to tinker with the source if there is an off teh
              shelf (opensource) solution :]
              Sorry dude but I think I read somewhere that watermarks were patented
              to MS - I am NOT sure about this so don't take as scripture.

              I have found The Gimp rather NOT userfriendly but powerful. Have not
              tested gimpshop.

              Everyone likes firefox. Proved Thunderbird to be an excellent
              alternative for outlook.
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
                It seems one of the best ways to contribute to the community if you're
                not a coder is to file bugs. Descriptive bugs, and follow up on them
                if the devs need you too.

                Also not filing a bug that's already filed. Triaging bugs is a job...
                and this is another way a non-coder can help.

                Feature requests also help, but sometimes the quantity can be
                overwhelming.

                I recently updated my Ubuntu Dapper to Edgy Beta 1 and boy... I got a
                lot o crashes. I'm not complaining, I know it's Beta software, but
                what was handy was bug buddy, which tried to automatically file a bug
                when something crashed. It's real helpful to the gnome devs I guess.

                So the next time you're using an Open Source piece of software and
                something doesn't work right, file a bug in the software's bug system.

                - RB
              • kimaniidanieldotcom
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
                  I beg to differ on your last statement: thunderbird IS NOT a excellent
                  alternative to outlook. Thunderbird is a GREAT email client but outlook
                  offers much more, from callender to todo list to notes etc. An they're all
                  integrated with each other and with Exchange server. I have not been able to
                  find a good alternative to outlook on the windows platform.

                  I agree with you totally on GIMP, and i have not tried gimpshop myself, but
                  after some research i found out that gimpshop is the underlying gimp with an
                  adobe look alike make over. So if u'r familiar with adobe photoshop then
                  gimpshop is for u.

                  --
                  Kimanii G. Daniel
                  St. Lucia: 758.519.3720

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
                    Have you considered Lotus Notes?

                    On 10/2/06, kimaniidanieldotcom <kimmyworld@...> wrote:

                    > I beg to differ on your last statement: thunderbird IS NOT a excellent
                    > alternative to outlook. Thunderbird is a GREAT email client but outlook
                    > offers much more, from callender to todo list to notes etc. An they're all
                    > integrated with each other and with Exchange server. I have not been able
                    > find a good alternative to outlook on the windows platform.
                    >
                    > I agree with you totally on GIMP, and i have not tried gimpshop myself,
                    > but
                    > after some research i found out that gimpshop is the underlying gimp with
                    > an
                    > adobe look alike make over. So if u'r familiar with adobe photoshop then
                    > gimpshop is for u.
                    >
                    > On 10/2/06, fs2_beem <fs2_beem@... <fs2_beem%40yahoo.co.uk>>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > At my short work stay at the new University Of Trinidad and Tobago
                    > > campus in O'Meara, I saw 3 people using OpenOffice. These members of
                    > > staff choose to use it because they found had a cool feature; PDFs. So
                    > > I have passively introduced others to it. <Don't ever try to force an
                    > > Exel expert out of their MS comfort zone>
                    > >
                    > > Bleh who really wants to tinker with the source if there is an off teh
                    > > shelf (opensource) solution :]
                    > > Sorry dude but I think I read somewhere that watermarks were patented
                    > > to MS - I am NOT sure about this so don't take as scripture.
                    > >
                    > > I have found The Gimp rather NOT userfriendly but powerful. Have not
                    > > tested gimpshop.
                    > >
                    > > Everyone likes firefox. Proved Thunderbird to be an excellent
                    > > alternative for outlook.
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Kimanii G. Daniel
                    > St. Lucia: 758.519.3720
                    > Grenada: 473.403.7954

                    Hassan Voyeau
                    http://www.haveworld.blogspot.com

                  • Trevor Christian
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
                      On 02/10/06, kimaniidanieldotcom <kimmyworld@...> wrote:

                      > I beg to differ on your last statement: thunderbird IS NOT a excellent
                      > alternative to outlook. Thunderbird is a GREAT email client but outlook
                      > offers much more, from callender to todo list to notes etc. An they're all
                      > integrated with each other and with Exchange server. I have not been able
                      > find a good alternative to outlook on the windows platform.

                      > .

                      Not sure about the windows platform. But on the linux side, Evolution and
                      Kontact are quite suitable replacement including the groupware portions that
                      you mentioned