Changing motherboards: Linux

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
        When doing somthing like this I would image the entire disk first and use a
        seperate disk with which to test.

        • Richard Hamel-Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
            This is a non-issue as far as I am concerned. The most you should have to
            do, is re-configure X. I've moved hard drives between machines before with
            zero impact.

            Richard

          • Hassan Voyeau
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
              Have you done it between machines with different motherboards?

              On 2/3/06, Richard Hamel-Smith <Richardhamelsmith@...> wrote:

              > This is a non-issue as far as I am concerned. The most you should have to
              > do, is re-configure X. I've moved hard drives between machines before with
              > zero impact.
              >
              > Richard

              Hassan Voyeau
              http://www.haveworld.blogspot.com

            • Ansar Mohammed
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
                It shouldn't be an issue unless you
                1. Compiled a custom kernel that may not have drivers for your motherboard;
                mitigate this by going back to the generic kernel and modules that the
                system was installed with.
                2. Hard disk Addressing mode is the same(normal or LBA)
                3. Hard disks are in same controller (primary/master etc)
                4. watch out if your old and new system's disk controllers are different
                types (raid vs non raid) you may have disk addressing problems.

                I have done this on many occasions with FreeBSD and Windows and the only
                time I run into problems is when I recompile a custom kernel for FreeBSD.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Funny enough, I had to do this today and after getting stupid messages from
                  ghost several times that the image file was unreadable, I lived on the edge
                  and just stuck it in (after backing up home directories of course :p).
                  Everything was detected perfectly; all I had to do in the end was
                  reconfigure the settings on one of the network cards.