Re: [TTLUG] Linux Distro Recommendation

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005

      http://dls.nexedi.org/

      http://slampp.abangadek.com/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=HomePage
      http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/slampp/

      http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?pick=All&showonly=Server&sort=&sm=1

      http://www.devil-linux.org/home/index.php

      http://lamppix.tinowagner.com/

      --
      Richard Jobity, Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago | ph: (868) 620-5550
      http://www.weakblog.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
        > Hey folks,
        >
        > Looking for a live CD, DHCP enabled by default, immediately after 1st
        > boot, loads SAMBA-SWAT, or Webmin, or some GUI that'll allow me to share
        > files on a windows network. Basically, a wide-open file server on tap. Any
        > recommendations?
        >
        > I have a bum install of FC4 that I don't care to fix, the PC in question
        > is my home server. All I need the thing to do is serve files to ANYONE who
        > can access my network. Like a good ole windows 95 PC.... hmmmm. maybe the
        > dark side has some benefits. Seriously, there must be a distro like this
        > out there somewhere. PLEH!
        >
        > CA

        Yes! Yes! I have it!

        http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php

        single diskette Samba server boot.

        (may blow away the previous contents of your hard drive. RTFM)

        Richard
      • Christian Anton
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
          Thanks guys,

          Some really good recommendations.
        • richjob@jobity.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
            Quoting rhamel@...:

            >> Hey folks,
            >>
            >> Looking for a live CD, DHCP enabled by default, immediately after 1st
            >> boot, loads SAMBA-SWAT, or Webmin, or some GUI that'll allow me to share
            >> files on a windows network. Basically, a wide-open file server on tap. Any
            >> recommendations?
            >>
            >> I have a bum install of FC4 that I don't care to fix, the PC in question
            >> is my home server. All I need the thing to do is serve files to ANYONE who
            >> can access my network. Like a good ole windows 95 PC.... hmmmm. maybe the
            >> dark side has some benefits. Seriously, there must be a distro like this
            >> out there somewhere. PLEH!
            >>
            >> CA
            >
            > Yes! Yes! I have it!
            >
            > http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php
            >
            > single diskette Samba server boot.
            >
            > (may blow away the previous contents of your hard drive. RTFM)
            >
            > Richard

            Live CD. Naslite blows away whatever data is on the HD.
          • Christian Anton
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
              Odd turn of events here at the base.

              I decided that it didn't make sense using a floppy to power my home server,
              I'd just be frustrating myself every time I wanted to try something out. But
              for the life of me this thing is unstable w/ FC4 on it. (OLD IBM Aptiva; AMD
              K6-2 @ 550MHz, 192MB RAM, 20GB HDD, 10Mbps LAN). Since I had a few distros
              already here at home, I broke one out I haven't used in a while....big
              RedHat/FC fan I am, I installed Slackware 10.

              The damned thing works nicely. Really can't complain.

              So now I have a full-blown instead of a turn-key at my disposal and so far
              it running smooooth.

              Happy.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
                Until I start gpm and move my mouse or just start X: keyboard and mouse lock
                up, no num-lock or caps-lock lights unless I kill X or stop GPM, then
                keyboard works fine.

                Any help here guys, it's a basic mouse works with other distro on same PC
                and on other PC's.

                > I decided that it didn't make sense using a floppy to power my home
                > server,
                > I'd just be frustrating myself every time I wanted to try something out.
                > But
                > for the life of me this thing is unstable w/ FC4 on it. (OLD IBM Aptiva;
                > AMD
                > K6-2 @ 550MHz, 192MB RAM, 20GB HDD, 10Mbps LAN). Since I had a few distros
                > already here at home, I broke one out I haven't used in a while....big
                > RedHat/FC fan I am, I installed Slackware 10.
                >
                > The damned thing works nicely. Really can't complain.
                >
                > So now I have a full-blown instead of a turn-key at my disposal and so far
                > it running smooooth.
                >
                > Happy.
              • Richard Hamel-Smith
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 9, 2005
                  Christian Anton wrote:
                  > Until I start gpm and move my mouse or just start X: keyboard and mouse lock
                  > up, no num-lock or caps-lock lights unless I kill X or stop GPM, then
                  > keyboard works fine.
                  >
                  > Any help here guys, it's a basic mouse works with other distro on same PC
                  > and on other PC's.

                  run

                  # X -configure

                  this produces /root/xorg.conf.new

                  backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

                  copy /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

                  re-start X by Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

                  should work

                  Richard