Linux Distro Recommendation

  • Christian Anton
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005
      Hey folks,

      Looking for a live CD, DHCP enabled by default, immediately after 1st boot, loads SAMBA-SWAT, or Webmin, or some GUI that'll allow me to share files on a windows network. Basically, a wide-open file server on tap. Any recommendations?

      I have a bum install of FC4 that I don't care to fix, the PC in question is my home server. All I need the thing to do is serve files to ANYONE who can access my network. Like a good ole windows 95 PC.... hmmmm. maybe the dark side has some benefits. Seriously, there must be a distro like this out there somewhere. PLEH!

      CA

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005

        http://dls.nexedi.org/

        http://slampp.abangadek.com/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=HomePage
        http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/slampp/

        http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?pick=All&showonly=Server&sort=&sm=1

        http://www.devil-linux.org/home/index.php

        http://lamppix.tinowagner.com/

        --
        Richard Jobity, Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago | ph: (868) 620-5550
        http://www.weakblog.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
          > Hey folks,
          >
          > Looking for a live CD, DHCP enabled by default, immediately after 1st
          > boot, loads SAMBA-SWAT, or Webmin, or some GUI that'll allow me to share
          > files on a windows network. Basically, a wide-open file server on tap. Any
          > recommendations?
          >
          > I have a bum install of FC4 that I don't care to fix, the PC in question
          > is my home server. All I need the thing to do is serve files to ANYONE who
          > can access my network. Like a good ole windows 95 PC.... hmmmm. maybe the
          > dark side has some benefits. Seriously, there must be a distro like this
          > out there somewhere. PLEH!
          >
          > CA

          Yes! Yes! I have it!

          http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php

          single diskette Samba server boot.

          (may blow away the previous contents of your hard drive. RTFM)

          Richard
        • Christian Anton
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
            Thanks guys,

            Some really good recommendations.
          • richjob@jobity.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
              Quoting rhamel@...:

              >> Hey folks,
              >>
              >> Looking for a live CD, DHCP enabled by default, immediately after 1st
              >> boot, loads SAMBA-SWAT, or Webmin, or some GUI that'll allow me to share
              >> files on a windows network. Basically, a wide-open file server on tap. Any
              >> recommendations?
              >>
              >> I have a bum install of FC4 that I don't care to fix, the PC in question
              >> is my home server. All I need the thing to do is serve files to ANYONE who
              >> can access my network. Like a good ole windows 95 PC.... hmmmm. maybe the
              >> dark side has some benefits. Seriously, there must be a distro like this
              >> out there somewhere. PLEH!
              >>
              >> CA
              >
              > Yes! Yes! I have it!
              >
              > http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php
              >
              > single diskette Samba server boot.
              >
              > (may blow away the previous contents of your hard drive. RTFM)
              >
              > Richard

              Live CD. Naslite blows away whatever data is on the HD.
            • Christian Anton
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
                Odd turn of events here at the base.

                I decided that it didn't make sense using a floppy to power my home server,
                I'd just be frustrating myself every time I wanted to try something out. But
                for the life of me this thing is unstable w/ FC4 on it. (OLD IBM Aptiva; AMD
                K6-2 @ 550MHz, 192MB RAM, 20GB HDD, 10Mbps LAN). Since I had a few distros
                already here at home, I broke one out I haven't used in a while....big
                RedHat/FC fan I am, I installed Slackware 10.

                The damned thing works nicely. Really can't complain.

                So now I have a full-blown instead of a turn-key at my disposal and so far
                it running smooooth.

                Happy.

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
                  Until I start gpm and move my mouse or just start X: keyboard and mouse lock
                  up, no num-lock or caps-lock lights unless I kill X or stop GPM, then
                  keyboard works fine.

                  Any help here guys, it's a basic mouse works with other distro on same PC
                  and on other PC's.

                  > I decided that it didn't make sense using a floppy to power my home
                  > server,
                  > I'd just be frustrating myself every time I wanted to try something out.
                  > But
                  > for the life of me this thing is unstable w/ FC4 on it. (OLD IBM Aptiva;
                  > AMD
                  > K6-2 @ 550MHz, 192MB RAM, 20GB HDD, 10Mbps LAN). Since I had a few distros
                  > already here at home, I broke one out I haven't used in a while....big
                  > RedHat/FC fan I am, I installed Slackware 10.
                  >
                  > The damned thing works nicely. Really can't complain.
                  >
                  > So now I have a full-blown instead of a turn-key at my disposal and so far
                  > it running smooooth.
                  >
                  > Happy.
                • Richard Hamel-Smith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 9, 2005
                    Christian Anton wrote:
                    > Until I start gpm and move my mouse or just start X: keyboard and mouse lock
                    > up, no num-lock or caps-lock lights unless I kill X or stop GPM, then
                    > keyboard works fine.
                    >
                    > Any help here guys, it's a basic mouse works with other distro on same PC
                    > and on other PC's.

                    run

                    # X -configure

                    this produces /root/xorg.conf.new

                    backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

                    copy /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

                    re-start X by Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

                    should work

                    Richard