Re: [TTLUG] How to buy an OS-free DELL

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 11, 2005
      Part of the agreement dell and other major distributors of pc/os systems
      sign with microsoft is that tehy sell ONLY Microsoft OS in that catagory.

      Its tricky but botton line ....
      SYSTEM SERIES - G456X can contain windowsxp but you better nto be
      offerign alternative os's with THAT seriese...and NO renaming the series
      to somethign else and putting another os and claiming its a different
      hardware config.

      Same goes for the recent windows 64. you MUST sell hardware that is
      essential to running a Computer system with windows 64 .... most OEM
      actualy ...a few smart companies gound a nice way around that however......

    • piscesone123@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 13, 2005
        the opteron not only brings higher performance.
        they run cooler using less power. though as an aside, it's funny to see that on HP website the both intel and amd powered servers are using the same power, give or take 7-10 watts. in the opteron's case makes me wonder what they(HP) are doing with the extra power.
        most people don't think about power consumption or cooling when procuring servers (IMHO), but in this case i went this route because these servers are going into 42U 19-inch racks with about 75% population in each rack (and there are 3 racks)... many servers. not to mention a SAN.
        the new sun hardware is supposed to run almost 50% cooler than the xeons and consume about 40% less power in the bargain.
        and then there comes virtualization, i finally convinced some people to see the light. now didn't i?
        now i need to convert more people. they give the same silly arguements.. what if that server crashes. well server nowadays are pretty hardy pieces of equipment, dual cpu, dual power supply, dual fans, dual everything. and then they talk about perfomance.
        please... most servers barely use a fraction of their processing power. is is very efficient to divy that up.
        ok i gotta run

        > remind me who is using DELL servers running Red Hat and has client pcs that are dell

        Aargh! (clutching at the dagger in my back)

        Ohh! that hurts! Well you know, O traitorous one, that Dell sells
        servers with Red Hat and that the servers have NEVER given a single
        moment's problems with regard to hardware or OS!

        My point was really that Dell does not sell DESKTOPS with Linux. They
        make it impossible to buy even a bare-bones desktop.

        And, so you know, we are buying less PCs and more thin clients
        (non-Dell) nowadays.

        Also, you will have to work HARD to convince me that a regular Joe user
        at Company X needs an Opteron to do anything. Most CPUs are just warming
        the room, not doing any useful work.

        Boycott high performance, room-warming CPUs too!
        Do more with less!

        Why, back in my day, we counted on our fingers, and damn quick too! :)

        And, IMHO, there's nothing wrong with Dell, either performance or
        quality-wise. You get what you pay for, a simple, hard working, well
        built computer. In 8 years, and over 60 Dells, only one has died so far.
        And the service is good. At least, that's my experience. Any hardware
        that has failed under warranty, has been replaced, no questions asked.

        But, dammit, they should see Linux on DESKTOPS!! HP does. Why not Dell?

        Clearly needing a second cup of coffee,
        Richard

        Free linux operating system Unix operating system Linux user