Re: [TTLUG] Re: Software Freedom Day 2005

  • samaroo@gmx.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 7, 2005
      hey this is great! thanks allan.!!!

    • Ray Dookie
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 7, 2005
        yeah heard them on 105 this morning... but...to the end of the ad they said
        "Free giveaway of Linx Cd's"

        i'm assuming its suppose to be "Linux"?

        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 7, 2005
          Linux CDs.

          Yes.

          yeah heard them on 105 this morning... but...to the end of the ad they said
          "Free giveaway of Linx Cd's"

          i'm assuming its suppose to be "Linux"?

          On 9/7/05, samaroo@... <samaroo@...> wrote:

          > hey this is great! thanks allan.!!!

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Stephen
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 7, 2005
            I want to upgrade my old boring Redhat 8 workstation. I'm thinking either a
            Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora/White Box Linux. Long-term availability of a package
            management system is a factor since it's going to be a workstation and not a
            server and I don't want to spend all my time looking for packages. I'm
            likely to stick to Debian since I am accustomed to it by now and love apt.
            Can anyone give me a really good reason to try Fedora Core or White Box
            Linux?

            The only one I can think of right now is that I may want to do RHCE sometime
            in the future and not getting rid of my last Red Hat machine might be a good
            thing.

            Opinions/suggestions anyone?

            And before RHS suggests Slackware, I politely decline in advance :)

            --Stephen

            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 7, 2005
              Stephen wrote:
              > I want to upgrade my old boring Redhat 8 workstation. I'm thinking either a
              > Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora/White Box Linux. Long-term availability of a package
              > management system is a factor since it's going to be a workstation and not a
              > server and I don't want to spend all my time looking for packages. I'm
              > likely to stick to Debian since I am accustomed to it by now and love apt.
              > Can anyone give me a really good reason to try Fedora Core or White Box
              > Linux?
              >
              > The only one I can think of right now is that I may want to do RHCE sometime
              > in the future and not getting rid of my last Red Hat machine might be a good
              > thing.
              >
              > Opinions/suggestions anyone?
              >

              > And before RHS suggests Slackware, I politely decline in advance :)
              >
              > --Stephen

              Stephen,

              Um, package management isn't the huge issue it used to be, since
              synaptic and yum are available for RPM-based distros. Shouldn't really
              matter.

              Work with what you are comfortaable with. If that be Debian, then so be it.

              --
              Richard Jobity, Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago | ph: (868) 620-5550
              http://www.weakblog.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 7, 2005
                Richard Jobity wrote:
                > That is more than fine. Knoppix would be great. The latest version of the OpenCD would be fine as well.
                >
                > There is no reason why South activities need to be curtailed - we actually only started formal planning for SFD on Saturday - my fault.
                >
                > It wouldn't conflict with anything we have planned up north; the more CDs we eventually give away, the better.
                >

                > The response for ads - would that be ad copy, or poster stuff?
                >
                > -rj

                Yeah, we be downloading Knoppix 4.01. It's slow going but we should have
                by Saturday.

                Richard
              • Richard Hamel-Smith
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 8, 2005
                  Stephen wrote:
                  > Opinions/suggestions anyone?
                  >

                  > And before RHS suggests Slackware, I politely decline in advance :)
                  >
                  > --Stephen

                  Ok, just so I get a chance to get a word in. Isn't the point of FLOSS
                  all about choice?

                  So here's my recommendation. Instead of wasting your whole hard drive on
                  a single distro, why not cut it up into several partitions? That way,
                  you can have a base/stable distro that you return to if you screw up the
                  rest and you can get exposure to other distros as well.

                  Most distros I've used, can fit in 4GB easy. So partition your drive
                  like this.

                  swap = 256MB on /dev/hda1
                  distro1 = 4GB on /dev/hda2 (Debian or whatever)
                  distro2 = 4GB on /dev/hda3 (Red Hat or whatever)
                  distro3 = 4GB on /dev/hda5 (definitely Slackware!)
                  /home = 4GB on /dev/hda6 (your personal data files)

                  That's only 16.256GB!

                  When you install, you avoid formatting /dev/hda6, so your files are
                  preserved.

                  If you use GRUB or LILO, this is not hard to do. Whichever partition you
                  decide to use as your base/stable partition, you keep your
                  /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst on that one.

                  This way you get more exposure to different setups. One learns a lot
                  more this way. You may find over time, that the dreaded Slackware turns
                  out to be the distro of choice, after all.

                  I've had Knoppix, Mepis, Minislack, Xen, RedHat 9 (I was teaching a
                  class :), Beatrix, Slax and a whole bunch of others without damaging my
                  base partition or losing ANY PERSONAL FILES.

                  Just my 2 cents.

                  humbly,
                  Richard
                • Kimanii
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 8, 2005
                    Yeah... but for some strange reason apt-get under Debian works like a charm.
                    Much faster than yum.

                    KD...

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 8, 2005
                      Thanks RHS but even though it's a workstation, I still won't reboot enough
                      to make it worth it to have any other distros. All my email/cronjobs/custom
                      hosts file/scripts and other settings etc will also be primarily on one
                      distro which I would have to mirror unto the other distros if I chose to do
                      that. The purpose of the workstation isn't to learn more about the different
                      linuxes. If it were then your suggestion would have been taken up.

                      RJ: I googled again and came up with this
                      http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

                      Maybe I can keep my Redhat 8 that I so painstakingly configured over the
                      past 2 years and use this to upgrade to Fedora Core?

                      > And before RHS suggests Slackware, I politely decline in advance :)
                      >
                      > --Stephen

                      Ok, just so I get a chance to get a word in. Isn't the point of FLOSS
                      all about choice?

                      So here's my recommendation. Instead of wasting your whole hard drive on
                      a single distro, why not cut it up into several partitions? That way,
                      you can have a base/stable distro that you return to if you screw up the
                      rest and you can get exposure to other distros as well.

                      Most distros I've used, can fit in 4GB easy. So partition your drive
                      like this.

                      swap = 256MB on /dev/hda1
                      distro1 = 4GB on /dev/hda2 (Debian or whatever)
                      distro2 = 4GB on /dev/hda3 (Red Hat or whatever)
                      distro3 = 4GB on /dev/hda5 (definitely Slackware!)
                      /home = 4GB on /dev/hda6 (your personal data files)

                      That's only 16.256GB!

                      When you install, you avoid formatting /dev/hda6, so your files are
                      preserved.

                      If you use GRUB or LILO, this is not hard to do. Whichever partition you
                      decide to use as your base/stable partition, you keep your
                      /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst on that one.

                      This way you get more exposure to different setups. One learns a lot
                      more this way. You may find over time, that the dreaded Slackware turns
                      out to be the distro of choice, after all.

                      I've had Knoppix, Mepis, Minislack, Xen, RedHat 9 (I was teaching a
                      class :), Beatrix, Slax and a whole bunch of others without damaging my
                      base partition or losing ANY PERSONAL FILES.

                      Just my 2 cents.

                      humbly,
                      Richard

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Christian Anton
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 8, 2005
                        Pray tell, what class were you teaching that required RH9??
                      • Stephen
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 8, 2005
                          Somehow I managed to end up in rpm hell today 0_0. So I ended up downloading
                          Ubuntu.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 8, 2005
                            Christian Anton wrote:
                            > Pray tell, what class were you teaching that required RH9??

                            It was a Linux+ something at BorderCom a while back. I slipped in some
                            Slackware, don't mind. I tried to steer them away from using the GUI
                            tools for everything. Mainly becoz I didn't know how to do anything with
                            GUI tools. But also becoz the command line works the same across all
                            distros, even though RedHat tries to screw that a lot.

                            Richard
                          • Richard Hamel-Smith
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 8, 2005
                              Stephen wrote:
                              > Somehow I managed to end up in rpm hell today 0_0. So I ended up downloading
                              > Ubuntu.

                              In my position of the local High Prophet of the Ancient Order of
                              Slackware, I laugh! Ha! Ha! Ha!

                              You deserve it for the crime of denigrating the High and Ancient Wisdom
                              of Slack. Rpms are for lower life-forms. Those who grovel below with
                              binaries.

                              Ubuntu! Bah! A crude brew of unmatched apps, put together without
                              thought. No magic flows through it. No mystics study that crud!

                              Lift yourself, man. Search for your True Self(tm). Surely, you can see
                              that way leads only to enternal frustration.

                              The only True Way is to download and compile the Source! See the Truth!
                              Feel the Power!

                              Come home to Slackware. We will accept your repentance and upgrade you.

                              Richard,
                              High Slack Prophet
                              (Eight hours of sleep a day are NOT enough!)
                            • Stephen
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 9, 2005
                                Not a good time to mention that I also put Fedora to download as well then
                                :(

                                I dunno, a source only distribution might be good to learn on and good for a
                                server that's just going to do a few specific things. A workstation that's
                                going to be used everyday and will have a million different pieces of
                                software that needs to be constantly upgraded/changed is most likely better
                                off being rpm-based.

                                *hides*

                                -Stephen
                                Lowly Debian Lover
                                (Four hours of sleep a day is not enough)