Re: [TTLUG] RE: Redhat FC4 + SATA Drives

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
      heh...im not to sure replacing SCSI with IDE is such a good idea when it
      comes to a SERVER..

      then again it depends on whats being stored..size and type of file
      transfer *streaming vs many small foles being copied and
      recopied/altered vs Large file transfrers....*, Size of user pool,
      access method....

      I know Anton would ahve thought of all this...... and SATA is great for
      mid lvl work... hell it was made to be a way for ppl doing at home video
      editing to have the transfer rate they needed without having to do SCSI
      and it's expense....

      I just saw someone mention IDE in an email earlier..and allthe alarm
      bells in my head went off...

      Now i have a headach... heh.. pardon me while i go make 2 long overdue
      phone calls and get some asprin...
    • Colin Darmanie
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 13, 2005
        Hey Guys,

        Just to let you all know I got my question about SATA controllers and FC4
        answered. Apparently it is not supported on earlier versions of FC (like 2 &
        3) but it is supported on FC4. Here are some useful links where I found this
        information :

        1. http://forums.us.dell.com/ - there is a linux forum here that is full of
        interesting stuff where people discuss installations of various linux
        distros on Dell hardware.

        2. htp://linux.dell.com - Dell's official linux support page.

        Regards,
        Colin

      • Nolan Joseph
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 15, 2005
          In my opinion you *start* getting old at around 80, so as far as I'm
          concerned, Richard, you're still a "spring chicken", and you Vlade, man
          you're still a babe in arms LOL.

          NJ