Re: [TTLUG] Newbie Resources

  • Ray Dookie
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 7, 2005
      some cool stories... maybe you guys should put up a section on the TTLUG
      with Linux user experiences... i'm sure it'll be worth a read

    • Colin Darmanie
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7, 2005
        Very interesting reading guys. I especially enjoyed the stories from Richard
        and Kwesi. I'll be honest and say that I didnt get into linux seriously
        until i saw the X-Windows system. I was impressed by the interface of X and
        the small font sizes, new graphics (other than windows) etc, etc.

        Before that, I had formal training in unix and found it to be interesting
        but a bit too cryptic. My introduction to unix came after i had mastered
        DOS, so moving around at a unix command prompt was relatively simple.
        (Probably this explains why most people these days have such a phobia about
        unix/linux.........they ware never exposed to DOS, and the character based
        environment, and as such fear things they dont know about !!! I know of alot
        of so called "MCSE's" out there who if exposed to a command prompt are
        completely lost !!)

        But, I digress.......back to my story :) ........Also, around that time,
        windows came on the scene and I was blown away by the graphical environment
        so my interests in unix died down for a while. It picked up again when i
        assumed the position of system administrator at a local ISP, it was then
        that I was introduced to the true power of unix/linux having to use it to
        control user authentication, mail, web servers etc.

        That said, in my opinion, the best way for a newbie to learn linux is to be
        forced into it. Now dont get me wrong, i aint talking about putting a gun to
        somebody's head :) ! all i'm saying is, load it up on their machine and let
        them play with it. Let them strart out by playing with X to see some of the
        features and how they are similar to windows (or you could try lindows !)
        and then let them explore other options and features of the X window system.
        Let them explore the multipe desktops, configure evoultion as their email
        client and let them see how much it looks like outlook, configure gaim for
        their msn and yahoo messenger accounts so they dont feel disconnected from
        the world, if you're dual booting lunix and windows on a single pc try and
        mount the windows partition in linux and allow them to access their
        documents using open office. Yuh know, just make them comfortable in linux !

        I've done this for a few of my clients already and it seems like the best
        way to get someone across to linux from windows. Yuh got to show them that
        things are the same, and that they can work the same way that they used to
        in windows. Eventually, the ones who are genuine computer enthusiasts may
        want to learn more, especially about the filesystem. At this point you can
        redirect them to sites like this :

        which talk about the linux filesystem in great detail.

        Hope this helps,