RE: [TTLUG] Apple to Use Intel Microprocessors Beginning in 2006

  • Tariq Khan
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 8, 2005
      Haha ... Yea ... And yuh know is bigger and bigger installs rolling out
      too... Think winxp can run up to 2 gigs? Mac os similar number.

      But on HDDs vlade, what yuh prefer? Size or reliability? I remember meh
      first big HDD I bought crashed a year or so after I bought it. It was a 60
      gig maxtor and those were the days before I learnt about backing-up-to-cd.
      Imagine yuh buy a 1TB drive (to come in a year's time I bet) and yuh full it
      with stuff... Too lazy to burn off... Even tho yuh have a benq dual... And
      it crash.

      Tears eh... So again.. Which is more important? Size or reliability? And
      c'mon.. No penis jokes now.

      -tariq

      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 8, 2005
        Hehe

        I prefer both....atm I have 2 120 GB SATA drives which I run in a RAID
        configuration. One of the hard drives failed a while ago...I got the
        warning when I turned on the pc. Removed the offending drive and
        replaced with a new one....0 data loss :)

        I think there willbe more ppl running raid soon. Promise has a great
        SATA and IDE Raid controler card that goes for around $20.00 us. and
        Hard Drives are not overly expensive. And most mid range and high end
        boards come with onboard IDE and SATA raid controlers. Biostar has many
        entry *cheep* level board's that come with RAID onboard. Besides with a
        multi boot system that takes a while to get up, installed n running, can
        you afforrd NOT to run RAID?

        And knowing MAC, they wont make their os for the pc jsut yet....MAYBE in
        the future they will but ATM they will stick to propritary hardware.
        Remember they said they would start using Intel Processors but they
        NEVER said a thing about it being a pentium or not. You might hear ther
        processor is simply being produced by intel but its not a Pentium Class
        one. I have a friend that swears by mac and the G5 processors are
        supsidly MUCH faster than any of Intel's current offerings.

        I think you would faster see a coppy of windows that runs on thier new
        arcitecture than macintosh software running on a WIN BOX. I know there
        is already a mac that runs both. Not sure if the windows version was for
        mac, the processor used emulated teh pc envorinment or if windows ran
        ontop of the mac os

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 8, 2005
          Man the penis joked were HARD to pass up on this one :P

        • Tariq Khan
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 8, 2005
            Yeah, true. RAID is actually affordable now-a-days. I remember when I bought
            my board 2 yrs ago, I got raid with it .. For like only $US5 more!

            It's jus that I'm too cheap to lose a whole drive for raid 1 use. But of
            course, it's when you LOSE data, then you realise the cost of a drive is
            overshadowed by the cost of data.

            -tariq

            Tariq Khan wrote:

            >Haha ... Yea ... And yuh know is bigger and bigger installs rolling out
            >too... Think winxp can run up to 2 gigs? Mac os similar number.
            >
            >But on HDDs vlade, what yuh prefer? Size or reliability? I remember meh
            >first big HDD I bought crashed a year or so after I bought it. It was a
            >60 gig maxtor and those were the days before I learnt about
            >backing-up-to-cd. Imagine yuh buy a 1TB drive (to come in a year's time
            >I bet) and yuh full it with stuff... Too lazy to burn off... Even tho
            >yuh have a benq dual... And it crash.
            >
            >Tears eh... So again.. Which is more important? Size or reliability?
            >And c'mon.. No penis jokes now.
            >
            >-tariq

          • ajchung
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 9, 2005
              --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, Vlade Malfet <blacknwhite@t...> wrote:
              > And knowing MAC, they wont make their os for the pc jsut et....MAYBE in
              > the future they will but ATM they will stick to propritary hardware.

              This is exactly why all the hype about this move to Intel threatening
              Linux or Windows is all premature. Steve Jobs never said anything
              about porting Mac OS X so that it will run on PCs. Apple still has a
              significant investment in selling their own hardware. So many people
              have assumed incorrectly that Intel CPU == PC.

              Microsoft recently shifted *away* from Intel. Their next generation
              gaming console, the Xbox 360 will be using a triplecore variant of
              IBM's PowerPC chip yet no one is claiming that it will be able to run
              Mac programs, or that it threatens Apple's G4/G5/miniMac market. (See
              http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/xbox360-1.ars on details of
              Microsoft's Xbox 360 CPU)

              > Remember they said they would start using Intel Processors but they
              > NEVER said a thing about it being a pentium or not.

              It will most probably be one of the newer multicore x86 breed.
              Everyone is going fully parallel processing.

              > I have a friend that swears by mac and the G5 processors are
              > supsidly MUCH faster than any of Intel's current offerings.

              I wouldn't readily accept such claims without a good dose of salt.
              Have a look at http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436 where
              some very competent geeks tested various hardware platforms against
              the G5. There are always several caveats in any benchmark, and in
              this case it was how well can compilers vectorise (underutilise the G5
              AltiVec at your own perile), and the performance of the memory
              subsystem (AMD Opteron anyone?). And while everyone jumps on the
              Linux-desktop-is-rubbish bandwagon, Linux as server remains far
              superior to Mac on their own hardware. There's no reason why a switch
              to Intel would change this.
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 9, 2005
                speaking of thoes dual core cpu's, anyone know if it works ok with linux
                or is it as yet untested?

                I still remember the post about the sony cpu being able to run the
                folding at home number crunch in 5 seconds....and HP is still working on
                their cross latch tech.....im hoping these 2 design processes are
                compatable with each other. Would lead to a much faster and MUCH cooler
                cpu....that and possibly 8 cores on a DI ..............cross latch
                suposedly shrinks cpu size down to 1/4 ....and if they now manufacturer
                2 cores per cpu i guess the 8....and they said the temperature was
                reduced because there was a much lower eletrical requirement........i'll
                take a look at both tech's when i get back home unless someone has time
                to check em out first........
              • ajchung
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 9, 2005
                  --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, Vlade Malfet <blacknwhite@t...> wrote:
                  > speaking of thoes dual core cpu's, anyone know if it works ok with
                  linux
                  > or is it as yet untested?

                  There shouldn't be a problem. Linux will simply run on one of the
                  cores, just as was done with the Cell processor:

                  http://www.linuxtag.org/typo3site/freecongress-details.html?talkid=156

                  Now whether Linux would benefit from being multi-threaded across all
                  cores is another matter altogether. Most probably it will be up to
                  the application programmer to explicitly vectorise or thread their
                  program, or let the compiler specially design for the task to do it
                  for them.
                • Ray Dookie
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 10, 2005
                    Nice article worth a read...

                    Mactel developer decisions
                    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-5740705.html?tag=st.prev

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 10, 2005
                      IBM has a 9 core cpu?!?!....well F*** me with a jackhammer.........

                      heh..i did guess about there being a 8 core .....Eventualy ...but had no
                      idea IBM already had one..

                      Still... server hardware is way out a home users league.......for now.....

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 10, 2005
                        I was reading the last part of that article...and a chill went down my
                        spine....anyone else see the potential hazzards that this could lead 2?

                        Ray Dookie wrote:

                        >Nice article worth a read...
                        >
                        >Mactel developer decisions
                        >http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-5740705.html?tag=st.prev

                        >Help build TTLUG by forwarding this to anyone who is interested in the
                        >subject matter or would otherwise benefit from joining the mailing list.

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • ajchung
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 13, 2005
                          --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, Vlade Malfet <blacknwhite@t...> wrote:
                          > IBM has a 9 core cpu?!?!....well F*** me with a jackhammer.........
                          >
                          > heh..i did guess about there being a 8 core .....Eventualy ...but
                          had no
                          > idea IBM already had one..

                          Yes. It is called the Cell processor and it forms the heart of the
                          Sony Playstation 3. Strictly speaking the 8 cores are not all
                          identical, but forn a kind of two level hierarchy, 1 master core off
                          processors. Only the master core has access to main memory.

                          Read about the design compromises and revolutionary architecture here:
                          http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/cell-1.ars
                          http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cells/Cell0.html

                          Linux already runs on the Cell but uses just the single master core.

                          Contrast this with the CPU IBM has developed for Microsoft's Xbox 360.
                          It consists of three general PowerPC cores each of which can run two
                          threads in parallel, all of which have direct access to memory.
                          Microsoft has been circulating some PR about how the Xbox 360 will be
                          easier to program for than the PS3, but I can't really see how.
                          Parallel programs are generally difficult code no matter how
                          sophisticated the hardware.

                          http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

                          Adrian
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 13, 2005
                            Than you for the info and links...gonna start reading em right after this :)

                            I remember for E3 Microsoft had their presentation ..... game I play
                            decided to send a stream... was funny as hell cause, aside from the
                            chinese girl in the halter top and see thru skirt, I saw ther regular
                            audience and then a seperate "audience" that looked like they.....let me
                            rephrase that... a seperate audience that MUST have been paid to be
                            there....they were ...um....unusally enthustiac every time they saw the
                            x-box logo apear onthe screen...and a few times the speaker made a point
                            that had alot of regular audience members clapping they were
                            just...there.......

                            Regretting I dident try to capture that feed... was funny as hell cause
                            one of my friend was over and he was the one that pointed it out to
                            me..heh...I was looking for por.....for files for richard.....

                            But it brings an interesting notion(?) to light.... is the product as
                            good as the hype? Personaly from the little I've seen (not heavily
                            followin g consoles these days) I think the PS3 is the next IT console.

                            On a scale of 1 to 10...compared to regular programming.. how difficult
                            is it to program for cell processors?... do you have to program the
                            child processes to go to the different cells yourself or does the main
                            processor "cell" do it for you.....ok...gonan go read now.... but as you
                            can tell I'm facisinated by the cell idea :)

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 13, 2005
                              Oh.... forgot to mention/ask. Hows the benq working?... ive had bad
                              experiences with that brand on their monitors optical's and lcd's....
                              apart from cd's and dvd blanks I started to avoid em....:( bought 5
                              monitos...carried all 5 back... dont even wanan think on the Opticals..
                              that put a serious dent in my pocket...Im hoping yours work well for
                              years to come but if it starts acting up ..carry it back asap..... i
                              like the nec and lite on's..tho a few ppl told me they had issues
                              wihtthe lite on also...

                              Vlade Malfet wrote:

                              >Man the penis joked were HARD to pass up on this one :P
                              >

                              >Tariq Khan wrote:
                              >

                              >>Haha ... Yea ... And yuh know is bigger and bigger installs rolling out
                              >>too... Think winxp can run up to 2 gigs? Mac os similar number.
                              >>
                              >>But on HDDs vlade, what yuh prefer? Size or reliability? I remember meh
                              >>first big HDD I bought crashed a year or so after I bought it. It was a 60
                              >>gig maxtor and those were the days before I learnt about backing-up-to-cd.
                              >>Imagine yuh buy a 1TB drive (to come in a year's time I bet) and yuh full it
                              >>with stuff... Too lazy to burn off... Even tho yuh have a benq dual... And
                              >>it crash.
                              >>
                              >>Tears eh... So again.. Which is more important? Size or reliability? And
                              >>c'mon.. No penis jokes now.

                            • Kerry Panchoo
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 13, 2005
                                You have to look at the grade of the panels used. Panels are usually
                                comes in A, B & C grade.
                                Industrial = A-Grade
                                Consumer = B & C Grade.

                                The low cost panels are usually C Grades
                                The higher costing Consumer grades are usually B Grades
                                The highest quality consumer and Industrial grades panels are A grade.

                                A Grades are guaranteed to manufacture spec- brightness, no-dead pixels,
                                lifetime, contrast ratio etc.

                                B & C grades are not. The just sell you a panel with approx. specs.
                                Nothing is guaranteed. Its like selling a 17" monitor.

                                The best panels comes from Korea. Taiwan & Chinese panels are usually of
                                lower quality.

                                BenQ seems to be a C grade of the same NEC monitors. I have a NEC and
                                BenQ monitors that are identical- except for the branding.

                                Kerry

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 14, 2005
                                  Heh...trinidad... i wouldent be suprised if we are getting grade "D"

                                • Stephen
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 14, 2005
                                    "Oh.... forgot to mention/ask. Hows the benq working?... ive had bad
                                    experiences with that brand on their monitors optical's and lcd's.... "

                                    Best Buy is going to start selling house branded LCD TVs that will be
                                    manufactured by Benq. They expect the prices to drop by 33% from $1500US to
                                    $1000US. I never liked Benq either but if they drop their prices, others
                                    will follow and that can only be a good thing. Not that I will buy an LCD
                                    over a nice CRT anyway :)

                                    Vlade Malfet wrote:

                                    >Man the penis joked were HARD to pass up on this one :P
                                    >

                                    >Tariq Khan wrote:
                                    >

                                    >>Haha ... Yea ... And yuh know is bigger and bigger installs rolling out
                                    >>too... Think winxp can run up to 2 gigs? Mac os similar number.
                                    >>
                                    >>But on HDDs vlade, what yuh prefer? Size or reliability? I remember meh
                                    >>first big HDD I bought crashed a year or so after I bought it. It was a 60
                                    >>gig maxtor and those were the days before I learnt about backing-up-to-cd.
                                    >>Imagine yuh buy a 1TB drive (to come in a year's time I bet) and yuh full
                                    it
                                    >>with stuff... Too lazy to burn off... Even tho yuh have a benq dual... And
                                    >>it crash.
                                    >>
                                    >>Tears eh... So again.. Which is more important? Size or reliability? And
                                    >>c'mon.. No penis jokes now.

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Tariq Khan
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 14, 2005
                                      Er, the ben q burner that I planned t oget? :-( it shipping... Ah cyah wait
                                      to get it. It's rated a notch below the plextor but is a lot cheaper. I
                                      coulndt bring myself to pay 85US$ for a plextor when the benq was 1/2 that.

                                      Will let u know how it goes.. When I get it... I also getting some ram and a
                                      6600. now vlade, tell me this... I wanted a 9800 and told meh bro to buy
                                      that. Some asshole partner of his make him buy a 6600 instead. Which is
                                      better? (ok, the ATI was the saphire 9800 128mb. No idea what opther crap he
                                      bought.. Or if it is crap anyway.. I jus prefer ATI all my life... That's
                                      all)

                                      Hmm ... Like we need a hardware forum in trinidad boy. Look how we hijack
                                      this ttlug thread nah :-P soory dey fellas!

                                      -tk

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 14, 2005
                                        Wait nuh .. I doh have money for you?

                                        Right now 17" AOC flat can be had for 1700 TT. Good eh!.. Like the days when
                                        crts had reached 100doallars per inch.. It was so cheap looking then.
                                        Imagine lcds like dat now.