book or site or article(s) about the basics/introductory stuff of website tech

  • Deosaran Bisnath
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2005
      Good Sunday Afternoon Everyone,
      I need to get a basic knowledge of websites, so that I have an idea of what
      is needed to create and maintain one... I am somewhat technically
      knowledgeable, about 20 years in IT, but last 5 years or so has been in more
      business-oriented areas, so I am not too updated on modern web technology.
      can anyone recommend a book? if I can get locally so much the better, but if
      thr Amazonthen fine.
      Or website(s) where I can get articles or turorials??
      I want a broad overview, and if possible, and desired later, I can get into
      a little more technical stuff.

      Please reply to ALL so I can get responses in different mailboxes.

      Thanks

      Regards,

      Deosaran
    • Kharim Ames
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 20, 2005
        This link will take you to a web design tutorial. Might be a little helpful.

        http://www.extropia.com/tutorials/web_design/toc.html

        On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:19:13 -0500, Deosaran Bisnath
        <dbisnath@...> wrote:

        > Good Sunday Afternoon Everyone,
        > I need to get a basic knowledge of websites, so that I have an idea of what
        > is needed to create and maintain one... I am somewhat technically
        > knowledgeable, about 20 years in IT, but last 5 years or so has been in
        > more
        > business-oriented areas, so I am not too updated on modern web technology.
        > can anyone recommend a book? if I can get locally so much the better, but
        > if
        > thr Amazonthen fine.
        > Or website(s) where I can get articles or turorials??
        > I want a broad overview, and if possible, and desired later, I can get into
        > a little more technical stuff.
        >
        > Please reply to ALL so I can get responses in different mailboxes.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Deosaran

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        - Kharim Ames.
      • Dev Anand Teelucksingh
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20, 2005
          Roger Johansson, of 456 Berea Street (http://www.456bereastreet.com/)
          has written an excellent guide with links to other sites:

          Developing With Web Standards : Recommendations and best practices
          http://www.456bereastreet.com/lab/developing_with_web_standards/

          See also, our "Webpage creation" meeting summary :
          http://www.ttcsweb.org/meetings/index.htm#n12 for additional urls about
          content management systems.

          Dev T

          Deosaran Bisnath wrote:

          > Good Sunday Afternoon Everyone,
          > I need to get a basic knowledge of websites, so that I have an idea of what
          > is needed to create and maintain one... I am somewhat technically
          > knowledgeable, about 20 years in IT, but last 5 years or so has been in more
          > business-oriented areas, so I am not too updated on modern web technology.
          > can anyone recommend a book? if I can get locally so much the better, but if
          > thr Amazonthen fine.
          > Or website(s) where I can get articles or turorials??
          > I want a broad overview, and if possible, and desired later, I can get into
          > a little more technical stuff.

          > Please reply to ALL so I can get responses in different mailboxes.

          > Thanks
          > Regards,
          > Deosaran
        • Shivan Jaikaran
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 20, 2005
            www.w3schools.com

            <dbisnath@...> wrote:

            > Good Sunday Afternoon Everyone,
            > I need to get a basic knowledge of websites, so that I have an idea of what
            > is needed to create and maintain one... I am somewhat technically
            > knowledgeable, about 20 years in IT, but last 5 years or so has been in more
            > business-oriented areas, so I am not too updated on modern web technology.
            > can anyone recommend a book? if I can get locally so much the better, but if
            > thr Amazonthen fine.
            > Or website(s) where I can get articles or turorials??
            > I want a broad overview, and if possible, and desired later, I can get into
            > a little more technical stuff.
            >
            > Please reply to ALL so I can get responses in different mailboxes.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Deosaran

            Shivan
          • Allan Samaroo
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 20, 2005
              why bother to learn all that HTML? most UNIX based web hosts offer the
              Fantastico package which include some pretty good Content Management
              Systems. You get a professional looking website in no time, using
              ready-made and (sometimes) free templates, and they're extremely easy to
              maintain. Some are even "skinnable" so you can change the look and feel
              when you want, yet keeping all that content.

              i'm somewhat familiar with mambo and there are modules that can be
              installed to provide additional features like forums, etc.

              allan.