Linux creator Torvalds switches to an Apple Mac

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2005
      Linux creator Torvalds switches to an Apple Mac
      By Renai LeMay, ZDNet Australia

      http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/0,39023165,39183867,00.htm

      Linux creator Linus Torvalds said this afternoon that he's now running an Apple Macintosh as his main desktop, mainly for work reasons, although partly simply because he's a self-described "technology whore".

      Torvalds, who initially created Linux for the Intel x86 platform, revealed to the Linux Kernel Mailing List in February during a discussion on kernel size reduction that his main desktop machine no longer featured an x86 processor. Hence, Torvalds said, a patch specific to the x86 platform that he was submitting to the list for consideration was totally untested.

      ZDNet Australia was intrigued by this remark, and sought to question Torvalds on why the man who has single-handedly revolutionised the use of Unix on the x86 platform would move away from it, and where he had moved to.

      Torvald's response came quickly and succinctly. "My main machine these days is a dual 2GHz G5 (aka PowerPC 970) - it's physically a regular Apple Mac, although it obviously only runs Linux, so I don't think you can call it a Mac any more ;)" he said.

      "As to the why ... Part of it is simply that I wanted to try something else, and I felt like there were enough people testing the x86 side that it certainly didn't need me. Part of it is that I personally believe there are two main architectures out there: Power and x86-64 are what _I_ think are the two most relevant ones, and I decided that I had to at least check the other side of it out seriously if I really believed that," said Torvalds.

      However the kernel guru stopped any potential accusations of favouritism in their tracks, saying: "And don't read anything really deep into that - Linux supports 20+ architectures, and the fact that I personally think that two of them are more likely to be the most relevant really doesn't mean all that much. It's just a personal quirk of mine."

      But it turns out that the man who created a revolutionary operating system which he initially described as "just a hobby, won't be big and professional like GNU", is probably not all that different from any other technology enthusiast.

      "Oh, and part of it is that I got the machine for free," said Torvalds, "I'm really a technology whore."
    • caribdigita
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2005
        I remember an article that was on either CNet.com or ZDNet.com from
        around the late summer/early fall of 2002, or 2003 which said.

        'Celeron is Latin for wont work on Linux' or something to that effect.

        I just remembered that headline since I read the article. Many
        aspects of the x86 these days are jointly decided by Intel-Microsoft.
        Intel wont clamp down on their chipsets as much as Microsoft wants
        though, for fear that Linux will change focus for A.M.D. instead. But
        from that time-on I had lost some respect for Intel.

        ~DigitaL

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2005
          Correction I meant to say Centrino. I was thinking Centrino but
          accidentally stated Celeron. The correct chipset which was if not
          stil is a problem for linux is Centrino.

          Link #1
          Michael's Minute: Is Intel's "Centrino" Techno-Latin for "No Linux?"
          http://www.linspire.com/lindows_michaelsminutes_archives.php?id=56&all=1

          Link #2
          Lindows CEO attacks Intel's Centrino Linux lockout
          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/03/20/lindows_ceo_attacks_intels_centrino/

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2005
            heh.. all of us got tech whore in us..

            seriously doubt any of us can say we have not been eying that 499 mac