Re: [TTLUG] time we did a little info sharing

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
      Vlade Malfet wrote:
      > I was thinking *hears the many voices that go UH OH* about how many of
      > us onthe list use linux and I realised we haven't talked about normal
      > beginner linux users in a long while. So i decided to ask a few lil
      > questions as well as to throw out some general information for thoes who
      > would be interested:
      >
      > 1. What flavor and linux/unix does everyone on the list use *you also
      > lurkers... dont be bashfull....even barbie linux counts*

      Me? Big Xandros fan here. Not perfect, but damn good. Included
      Crossover makes it teh hawt for running the needed W32 apps.

      > 2. What anti virus do you guys run for linux? (personaly i use bit
      > defender) www.bitdefender.com If anyone knows of a better one/has used a
      > better one feel free to chip 2 cents in.

      Antivirus? Whatever comes with the distro, I guess.

      > 3. Do you run firewalls on your linux box (any ppl on the list that do
      > not know what a fire wall is? Click HERE
      > http://www.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

      Distro default.

      > 4. how many different distribution did you try/are still trying... till
      > you settled on the one you use.

      Xandros. Occasionally Knoppix. PCLinuxOS and Slax are good too.

      > 5. Anyone gaming under linux/have tips on running windows emulators for
      > windows games under linux?

      Cedega?

      > 6. Downloaded/ Bought Linux ?...which? ..current version or previous
      > one?

      Both. Download most, buy Xandros. Bought Linspire too.

      > 7. What do you use linux for in your DAILY routine? (email? downloading?
      > graphics, programming.

      Alas, work limits my daily use. I could tell you a lot of bloody things
      about FrontPage, that I have to use in an internal project...

      Plus I had to cannibalize my last Linux desktop for mi madre.

      > 8. What programs do you use under linux that have an equivalent under
      > windows *email to programming environment to CAD design* and which do
      > you think HONESTLY has the better version? *such as using gimp in
      > windows and linux ..or using microsoft's Office under windows VS Open
      > office under linux

      Each platform has its preferred platform. I *like* OO.org, but because
      95% isn't good enough, Iuse Word for office work. OO.org IS on the
      machine, though. VERY handy for PDF conversion and the like.

      > 9. have you registered on the LINUX COUNTER? http://counter.li.org/

      Yep. Might have to reregister, though.

      > 10. Anyone think compiling statistics resulting from this email worth
      > posting in our files section ?

      Might be, actually.

      > 11. Do you ahve any unresolved hardware issues inthe linux box? (some
      > ppl may have everything but the modem and/or sound card working)

      Issues? Possible modems and wireless. HArdware RAID, SATA?

      > 12.-= NOTICE=-Difficult question ahead.
      > * there will be few who are qualified to answer this* Those who on rare
      > occasion actually see MR Jobity, can you confirm that there are still 3
      > bags or have they been multiplying?.... :D

      The bags are smaller.
      One bag for the lappy, one backpack and a tiny bag.

      > *now bear in mind this is not an official poll, you dont have to answer
      > if you dont want to but answering will both be appreciated and help us
      > get a better idea of our user database's needs/wants/desires. as well as
      > perhaps teach us a few things.
      >

      > ** mandrake 10.1... redhat... eat your heart out!! :) its the easiest
      > distro from mandrake ever! :) *in my opinion*

      THe distros continue to improve incrementally. :)

      --
      Richard Jobity, Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago | ph: (868) 620-5550
      http://www.weakblog.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
        I jsut got used to saying *we* with all the stuff i keep somehow getting
        into

        I was trying to get some of the people that are on the list that never
        talk to say something...on the linux counter site we are registered as
        having over 180 members but i have not seen that many people discussing
        stuff. I thought perhaps some of the newer members/linux users may have
        had question or wanted to know stuff but were a little shy to ask...

        so... answer the question cause i decided to make it into an
        "unofficial" report and after the answers stop coming in i'll post it
        up.....besides...arn't you curious as to what the preferred distro seems
        to be with the group?

        Richard answers said something about Cedega which i have not yet heard
        of...so tonight i will do a little reading up...

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
          Unreal tournament 2003 & 2004 came with linux version on the cd...did
          you try 2 install those?

        • samaroo@gmx.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
            you went from:

            > I was thinking *hears the many voices that go UH OH* about how many of
            > us onthe list use linux and I realised we haven't talked about normal
            > beginner linux users in a long while. So i decided to ask a few lil
            > questions as well as to throw out some general information for thoes who
            > would be interested:

            to:

            > *now bear in mind this is not an official poll, you dont have to answer
            > if you dont want to but answering will both be appreciated and help us
            > get a better idea of our user database's needs/wants/desires. as well as
            > perhaps teach us a few things.

            who is this "us" you talk about? i understand this is an unoffical poll,
            but if a database is being compiled with my information, i'd rather know who
            is doing it, why, will a report be released, etc etc.....

            allan.

            --
            Sparen beginnt mit GMX DSL: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
          • Richard Hamel-Smith
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
              Vlade Malfet wrote:

              >1. What flavor and linux/unix does everyone on the list use *you also
              >lurkers... dont be bashfull....even barbie linux counts*

              At home

              Slackware 9, Slackware 10/Dropline Gnome

              I have a couple test partitions where I have installed over time

              RedHat 6.1, RedHat 9, Yoper, Damn Small Linux, Knoppix 3.6, Vector Linux
              and others I've probably forgotten

              At work
              RedHat Enterprise, Slackware 9, Slackware10/Dropline Gnome, Knoppix STD,
              Yoper

              >2. What anti virus do you guys run for linux? (personaly i use bit
              >defender) www.bitdefender.com If anyone knows of a better one/has used a
              >better one feel free to chip 2 cents in.

              Eh?

              >3. Do you run firewalls on your linux box (any ppl on the list that do
              >not know what a fire wall is? Click HERE
              >http://www.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

              gShield

              >4. how many different distribution did you try/are still trying... till
              >you settled on the one you use.

              Basically RedHat 5.0 and RedHat 6.1.

              RedHat 9 was rejected coz it's just too much crap.

              The main distro is Slackware 9. I keep coming back to it coz it fits on
              one CD and has most of what I use. Actually, it has a lot more
              than what I need.

              I've tried just about everything I can think of to get a compact distro,
              but so far I can't get it down to my goal. I'd like to see everything
              fit in 100MB,
              but it doesn't seem possible.

              >5. Anyone gaming under linux/have tips on running windows emulators for
              >windows games under linux?

              I don't play computer games.

              >6. Downloaded/ Bought Linux ?...which? ..current version or previous
              >one?

              People give me stuff, or I download it.

              >7. What do you use linux for in your DAILY routine? (email? downloading?
              >graphics, programming.

              Programming, mainly writing SQL code, some C/C++ on occasion. Email,
              browsing, downloading.

              >8. What programs do you use under linux that have an equivalent under
              >windows *email to programming environment to CAD design* and which do
              >you think HONESTLY has the better version? *such as using gimp in
              >windows and linux ..or using microsoft's Office under windows VS Open
              >office under linux

              I use Mozilla, which runs fine both under Windows/Linux. OpenOffice
              which is still kinda heavy but is getting better over time.
              Programming - I use vi for writing code. It works under Windows/DOS as
              well.

              >9. have you registered on the LINUX COUNTER? http://counter.li.org/

              Yes

              >10. Anyone think compiling statistics resulting from this email worth
              >posting in our files section ?
              >
              >11. Do you ahve any unresolved hardware issues inthe linux box? (some
              >ppl may have everything but the modem and/or sound card working)

              I've given up on getting the modem in my home PC to work. I still have
              issues with the sound card at work, tho' all the sound cards at home
              work fine.

              >12.-= NOTICE=-Difficult question ahead.
              >* there will be few who are qualified to answer this* Those who on rare
              >occasion actually see MR Jobity, can you confirm that there are still 3
              >bags or have they been multiplying?.... :D

              3 bags full

              >*now bear in mind this is not an official poll, you dont have to answer
              >if you dont want to but answering will both be appreciated and help us
              >get a better idea of our user database's needs/wants/desires. as well as
              >perhaps teach us a few things.
              >

              >** mandrake 10.1... redhat... eat your heart out!! :) its the easiest
              >distro from mandrake ever! :) *in my opinion*

              Never did try Mandrake. It's a sissy's distro. Slackware - that'll put
              hair on your chest.

              But seriously, Linux itself is done. The thing now is a sensible
              interface to services/hardware. I've tried Webmin
              but it isn't done yet.

              I end up tweaking a set of files by hand. I've written shell scripts to
              install my favourite packages, but the whole distro thing needs a lot of
              help in this area. X has come a long way. X4 does the auto config thing
              pretty good now, but it still needs to be more invisible.
              Hardware recognition a la Knoppix should be standard, but it shouldn't
              be necessary for it to happen on every boot. It should just be part of the
              installation and done.
              RedHat had a nifty utility called 'ntsysv' to turn services on/off, but
              other distros require you to do things manually.

              This area needs work. Another thing is that each program has its own
              format for configuration files - DHCP, Apache, inet, xinet. It's just
              too weird.
              That needs to evolve.

              My 2 cents

              Richard
            • Shivan Jaikaran
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005

                > 8. What programs do you use under linux that have an equivalent under
                > windows *email to programming environment to CAD design* and which do
                > you think HONESTLY has the better version? *such as using gimp in
                > windows and linux ..or using microsoft's Office under windows VS Open
                > office under linux

                Apache Web Server. Runs more efficiently and is more stable on linux.
                Also mySQL and Perl if that counts as programs.

                Shivan
              • David McKen
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Vlade Malfet wrote:

                  >I was thinking *hears the many voices that go UH OH*

                  Head for the hills!!!!!

                  >about how many of
                  >us onthe list use linux and I realised we haven't talked about normal
                  >beginner linux users in a long while. So i decided to ask a few lil
                  >questions as well as to throw out some general information for thoes who
                  >would be interested:
                  >
                  >1. What flavor and linux/unix does everyone on the list use *you also
                  >lurkers... dont be bashfull....even barbie linux counts*

                  Gentoo (i like living on the edge)

                  >2. What anti virus do you guys run for linux? (personaly i use bit
                  >defender) www.bitdefender.com If anyone knows of a better one/has used a
                  >better one feel free to chip 2 cents in.

                  Linux Antivirus, wazzat? Personally I believe I have more to worry from
                  someone breaking into my box using the SSH port (which by the law
                  written by Comcast shoudn't even be open), hence I scan those logs at
                  least weekly.

                  >3. Do you run firewalls on your linux box (any ppl on the list that do
                  >not know what a fire wall is? Click HERE
                  >http://www.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

                  Hardware firewall built into router. I only have 128Mb in this system,
                  not much to spare

                  >4. how many different distribution did you try/are still trying... till
                  >you settled on the one you use.

                  Mandrake, Red Hat, Suse*, Debian*, OpenBSD* (* - Never could get the
                  damn things installed)

                  >5. Anyone gaming under linux/have tips on running windows emulators for
                  >windows games under linux?

                  If you do know please tell me, I want to get Unreal Tournament (it is
                  masked due to some security issue) & MS Flight Simulator 2004 on Linux

                  >6. Downloaded/ Bought Linux ?...which? ..current version or previous
                  >one?

                  Bought first copy of Mandrake 6.2, been downloading ever since.

                  >7. What do you use linux for in your DAILY routine? (email? downloading?
                  >graphics, programming.

                  Code, Internet, e-mail

                  >8. What programs do you use under linux that have an equivalent under
                  >windows *email to programming environment to CAD design* and which do
                  >you think HONESTLY has the better version? *such as using gimp in
                  >windows and linux ..or using microsoft's Office under windows VS Open
                  >office under linux

                  The linux developement enviroment can't be beat, MSYS is a decent
                  replacement though.

                  >9. have you registered on the LINUX COUNTER? http://counter.li.org/

                  Yesh

                  >10. Anyone think compiling statistics resulting from this email worth
                  >posting in our files section ?

                  Be my guest.

                  >11. Do you ahve any unresolved hardware issues inthe linux box? (some
                  >ppl may have everything but the modem and/or sound card working)

                  X11 is playing the fool (probably because I have a old/strange card).
                  Radeon 7500 PCI gives some trouble with hardware acceleration under Linux

                  >12.-= NOTICE=-Difficult question ahead.
                  >* there will be few who are qualified to answer this* Those who on rare
                  >occasion actually see MR Jobity, can you confirm that there are still 3
                  >bags or have they been multiplying?.... :D

                  ???

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
                    vlade don't mind me. i'm in the middle of my thesis and i'm being a little
                    too "scientific" about things........

                    i think we should have surveys like this every quarter or so, just so we
                    know what is going on with Linux in our country.

                    actually, it might be good to run it off the TTLUG website, and keep the
                    history there.

                    allan.

                    > I jsut got used to saying *we* with all the stuff i keep somehow getting
                    > into
                    >
                    > I was trying to get some of the people that are on the list that never
                    > talk to say something...on the linux counter site we are registered as
                    > having over 180 members but i have not seen that many people discussing
                    > stuff. I thought perhaps some of the newer members/linux users may have
                    > had question or wanted to know stuff but were a little shy to ask...
                    >
                    > so... answer the question cause i decided to make it into an
                    > "unofficial" report and after the answers stop coming in i'll post it
                    > up.....besides...arn't you curious as to what the preferred distro seems
                    > to be with the group?
                    >
                    > Richard answers said something about Cedega which i have not yet heard
                    > of...so tonight i will do a little reading up...

                    --
                    GMX im TV ... Die Gedanken sind frei ... Schon gesehen?
                    Jetzt Spot online ansehen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/tv-spot
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
                      I only have the original Unreal Tournament (for now at least). I wait
                      for the price to drop before getting a title.