Re: cannot connect to the net - TSTT again?

  • C
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
      All these are present(uncommented) in /boot/config-2.6.5-7.75-default

      > CONFIG_PPP=m
      > CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m
      > CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=m
      > CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=m
      > CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m

      Interestingly enough, I did an update through yast2 (I got an hour on
      a T1 to test :) ) and updated my kernel but theres no
      /usr/src/linux/.config.

      doing the lsmod after wvdial,

      SOL:/home/clay # lsmod
      Module Size Used by
      ppp_async 11904 0
      ppp_generic 29332 1 ppp_async
      slhc 7552 1 ppp_generic
      ipv6 236800 6
      edd 9368 0
      evdev 9856 0
      joydev 10304 0
      sg 35616 0
      st 39068 0
      sd_mod 20224 0
      sr_mod 16292 0
      scsi_mod 108748 4 sg,st,sd_mod,sr_mod
      ide_cd 36740 0
      cdrom 36764 2 sr_mod,ide_cd
      cpufreq_userspace 5796 2
      powernow_k7 5792 0
      speedstep_lib 3712 0
      freq_table 4612 1 powernow_k7
      thermal 12680 0
      processor 16680 1 thermal
      fan 4228 0
      snd_seq_oss 31232 0
      snd_seq_midi_event 7680 1 snd_seq_oss
      snd_seq 54928 5 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
      snd_seq_device 8456 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
      button 6416 0
      battery 8836 0
      ac 4996 0
      snd_pcm_oss 57512 0
      snd_mixer_oss 18944 3 snd_pcm_oss
      snd_ali5451 22088 7
      snd_ac97_codec 62468 1 snd_ali5451
      snd_pcm 97032 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_ali5451
      snd_page_alloc 11528 1 snd_pcm
      snd_timer 25860 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
      snd 61444 20
      snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
      soundcore 9056 3 snd
      ati_agp 8588 1
      agpgart 30888 1 ati_agp
      natsemi 22880 0
      ohci_hcd 19332 0
      usbcore 103516 3 ohci_hcd
      binfmt_misc 10120 1
      subfs 7424 1
      nls_cp437 6016 1
      vfat 14208 1
      fat 43584 1 vfat
      nls_utf8 2304 2
      ntfs 86416 1
      dm_mod 50300 0
      reiserfs 241104 1
      SOL:/home/clay #

      yours was

      > ppp_async 7520
      > ppp_generic 15452
      > slhc 5040

      hmmm different values; what does it mean?
    • Richard Hamel-Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
        C wrote:
        > All these are present(uncommented) in /boot/config-2.6.5-7.75-default
        >
        >>CONFIG_PPP=m
        >>CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m
        >>CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=m
        >>CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=m
        >>CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m
        >>

        > Interestingly enough, I did an update through yast2 (I got an hour on
        > a T1 to test :) ) and updated my kernel but theres no
        > /usr/src/linux/.config.

        The .config is generated if you do a 'make config'. It may or may not be
        present otherwise.

        > doing the lsmod after wvdial,
        >
        > SOL:/home/clay # lsmod
        > Module Size Used by
        > ppp_async 11904 0
        > ppp_generic 29332 1 ppp_async
        > slhc 7552 1 ppp_generic
        > ipv6 236800 6
        >
        > yours was
        >

        >>ppp_async 7520
        >>ppp_generic 15452
        >>slhc 5040
        >>

        > hmmm different values; what does it mean?

        Possibly, it's becoz we are running different versions of the kernel.

        Ok, so the modem connects, starts PPP and then it dies.

        While the connect attempt is happening, what does the output of

        # ps axf | grep ppp

        look like?

        Do you have an old lock file in /var/lock, by any strange chance?

        What happens if you try to connect manually to the ISP's number using
        minicom?
        I used to do this once,
        1. connect using minicom
        2. exit minicom without resetting the modem
        3. launch pppd manually
        4. add my ifconfig for ppp0 manually

        Oh by the way, when you do ifconfig, how many pppX lines do you have?
        I ask, becoz at one time, I was getting several. Had to kill them manually.

        Have you tried writing a ppp dialer program script? I have an old one
        somewhere that used to work for me
        when all else failed. I'm attaching it, in case you want to try it.

        C, bro, I'm stumped. I'm currently running Slackware and I haven't
        looked at 2.6 yet, so there's not much more
        I can suggest. Maybe you can run 'strace' against pppd and check the
        output for some file or device it's trying to open?

        Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
        Richard

        ----------

        #!/bin/sh
        #
        # Script to initiate a ppp connection. This is the first part of the
        # pair of scripts. This is not a secure pair of scripts as the codes
        # are visible with the 'ps' command. However, it is simple.
        #
        # These are the parameters. Change as needed.
        TELEPHONE=619-5638 # The telephone number for the connection
        ACCOUNT=myaccount # The account name for logon (as in 'George Burns')
        PASSWORD=mypassword # The password for this account (and 'Gracie Allen')
        LOCAL_IP=0.0.0.0 # Local IP address if known. Dynamic = 0.0.0.0
        REMOTE_IP=0.0.0.0 # Remote IP address if desired. Normally 0.0.0.0
        NETMASK=255.255.255.0 # The proper netmask if needed
        PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
        #
        # Export them so that they will be available at 'ppp-on-dialer' time.
        export TELEPHONE ACCOUNT PASSWORD PATH
        #
        # This is the location of the script which dials the phone and logs
        # in. Please use the absolute file name as the $PATH variable is not
        # used on the connect option. (To do so on a 'root' account would be
        # a security hole so don't ask.)
        #
        DIALER_SCRIPT=/etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer
        #
        # Initiate the connection
        #
        # I put most of the common options on this command. Please, don't
        # forget the 'lock' option or some programs such as mgetty will not
        # work. The asyncmap and escape will permit the PPP link to work with
        # a telnet or rlogin connection. You are welcome to make any changes
        # as desired. Don't use the 'defaultroute' option if you currently
        # have a default route to an ethernet gateway.
        #
        #exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem /dev/ttyS0 115200 \
        #asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
        #noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

        exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem /dev/ttyS0 115200 \
        asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
        noauth noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT &

        ----------

        #!/bin/sh
        #
        # This is part 2 of the ppp-on script. It will perform the connection
        # protocol for the desired connection.
        #
        exec chat -v \
        TIMEOUT 3 \
        ABORT '\nBUSY\r' \
        ABORT '\nNO ANSWER\r' \
        ABORT '\nNO CARRIER\r' \
        ABORT '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r' \
        '' '\rATm1l1' \
        'OK-+++\c-OK' ATH0 \
        TIMEOUT 30 \
        OK ATDT$TELEPHONE \
        CONNECT '' \
        :--: $ACCOUNT \
        assword: $PASSWORD

      • C
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
          > # ps axf | grep ppp
          >
          > look like?

          SOL:/var/lock # ps -aux | grep ppp
          Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
          http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
          root 3705 0.0 0.3 1692 628 pts/1 S+ 23:21 0:00 grep ppp
          SOL:/var/lock # ps -aux | grep ppp
          Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
          http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
          root 3707 0.0 0.5 2472 1112 pts/2 S 23:21 0:00
          /usr/sbin/pppd 115200 modem crtscts defaultroute usehostname -detach
          user cttrc noipdefault call wvdial usepeerdns idle 300 logfd 6
          root 3736 0.0 0.3 1692 628 pts/1 S+ 23:21 0:00 grep ppp
          SOL:/var/lock # ps -aux | grep ppp
          Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
          http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
          root 3753 0.0 0.3 1692 628 pts/1 S+ 23:21 0:00 grep ppp
          SOL:/var/lock # ps -aux | grep ppp
          Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
          http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
          root 3757 0.0 0.3 1692 628 pts/1 S+ 23:21 0:00 grep ppp
          SOL:/var/lock #

          > Do you have an old lock file in /var/lock, by any strange chance?

          SOL:/var/lock # ls
          . .. block.agent.lock subsys
          SOL:/var/lock # ls subsys/
          . .. sysconfig
          SOL:/var/lock # ls subsys/sysconfig/
          . ..
          SOL:/var/lock # cat block.agent.lock
          1815

          > What happens if you try to connect manually to the ISP's number using
          > minicom?
          > I used to do this once,
          > 1. connect using minicom
          > 2. exit minicom without resetting the modem
          > 3. launch pppd manually
          > 4. add my ifconfig for ppp0 manually

          unsure of how to do this. The most I've played with minicom is to
          configure some routers.

          > Oh by the way, when you do ifconfig, how many pppX lines do you have?
          > I ask, becoz at one time, I was getting several. Had to kill them
          manually.

          there are no pppX lines cause I can't establish a connection?

          will check out the scripts and post back
        • Richard Hamel-Smith
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
            C wrote:

            >># ps axf | grep ppp
            >>
            >>look like?
            >>

            >SOL:/var/lock # ps -aux | grep ppp
            >Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
            >http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
            >root 3707 0.0 0.5 2472 1112 pts/2 S 23:21 0:00
            >/usr/sbin/pppd 115200 modem crtscts defaultroute usehostname -detach
            >user cttrc noipdefault call wvdial usepeerdns idle 300 logfd 6
            >root 3736 0.0 0.3 1692 628 pts/1 S+ 23:21 0:00 grep ppp

            What's this 'usepeerdns' thingy? I also don't recognise 'cttrc'. They
            may be all right. I just don't know what they do.
            The rest of the options seem familar.

            >>What happens if you try to connect manually to the ISP's number using
            >>minicom?
            >>I used to do this once,
            >> 1. connect using minicom
            >> 2. exit minicom without resetting the modem
            >> 3. launch pppd manually
            >> 4. add my ifconfig for ppp0 manually
            >>

            >unsure of how to do this. The most I've played with minicom is to
            >configure some routers.

            Basically, you link /dev/modem to whichever port your modem is attached
            to, and then run minicom.
            Then, you do

            atdt6195638

            to connect to TSTT.

            You should see some kind of login prompt. Enter username, passwd. It
            should start PPP on that end automatically, which
            looks like garbage characters coming across the line. Then, you hit
            Ctrl-A,Q to quit with reset.
            Then run 'pppd'.

            Buss it to another terminal and check with

            ps axf | grep ppp

            ifconfig ppp0

            route add default gw etc.

            NB: linux does not support 'ps -aux'. Yeah, I know. It caught after
            years of using UNIX too.

            >>Oh by the way, when you do ifconfig, how many pppX lines do you have?
            >>I ask, becoz at one time, I was getting several. Had to kill them
            >>

            >manually.
            >

            >there are no pppX lines cause I can't establish a connection?

            Yeah, usually there aren't but one problem I came up against, was that
            ppp connections were forming, but not
            correctly. I ended up with several before I thought to run 'ifconfig'
            and realised what was happening.

            If you can get through with the minicom thing, then I suggest it's due
            to some parameter being passed to ppp on its command line.

            Richard