Re: [TTLUG] Re: cannot connect to the net - TSTT again?

  • Richard Hamel-Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
      C wrote:
      > I did connect once with wvdial. So I would assume that all modular
      > support is there, however I'll still take a look.
      >
      > With respect to trying another isp, well lol....
      >
      > heres the lsmod but I don't see anything pertaining to ppp

      Here's what I have on my home system.

      ppp_async 7520
      ppp_generic 15452
      slhc 5040

      These are, I believe, the modules that have to be loaded. Can you try to
      capture the output of
      lsmod while you are trying to connect, or just after (before the unused
      modules are automatically
      removed from memory)?

      If you have less than the three modules above, I'd suggest taking a look
      at your kernel config.
      We're looking for

      CONFIG_PPP=m
      CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m
      CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=m
      CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=m
      CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m

      If these are commented out, then possibly the kernel you are using,
      doesn't have all the modules compiled.
      (The config file is usually in /usr/src/linux/.config. On my Slackware
      system, there is also a copy in
      /boot/config.)

      When I had the connection problem, I remember it was becoz I was missing
      the ppp_async module.

      Richard
    • C
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2004
        All these are present(uncommented) in /boot/config-2.6.5-7.75-default

        > CONFIG_PPP=m
        > CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m
        > CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=m
        > CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=m
        > CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m

        Interestingly enough, I did an update through yast2 (I got an hour on
        a T1 to test :) ) and updated my kernel but theres no
        /usr/src/linux/.config.

        doing the lsmod after wvdial,

        SOL:/home/clay # lsmod
        Module Size Used by
        ppp_async 11904 0
        ppp_generic 29332 1 ppp_async
        slhc 7552 1 ppp_generic
        ipv6 236800 6
        edd 9368 0
        evdev 9856 0
        joydev 10304 0
        sg 35616 0
        st 39068 0
        sd_mod 20224 0
        sr_mod 16292 0
        scsi_mod 108748 4 sg,st,sd_mod,sr_mod
        ide_cd 36740 0
        cdrom 36764 2 sr_mod,ide_cd
        cpufreq_userspace 5796 2
        powernow_k7 5792 0
        speedstep_lib 3712 0
        freq_table 4612 1 powernow_k7
        thermal 12680 0
        processor 16680 1 thermal
        fan 4228 0
        snd_seq_oss 31232 0
        snd_seq_midi_event 7680 1 snd_seq_oss
        snd_seq 54928 5 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
        snd_seq_device 8456 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
        button 6416 0
        battery 8836 0
        ac 4996 0
        snd_pcm_oss 57512 0
        snd_mixer_oss 18944 3 snd_pcm_oss
        snd_ali5451 22088 7
        snd_ac97_codec 62468 1 snd_ali5451
        snd_pcm 97032 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_ali5451
        snd_page_alloc 11528 1 snd_pcm
        snd_timer 25860 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
        snd 61444 20
        snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
        soundcore 9056 3 snd
        ati_agp 8588 1
        agpgart 30888 1 ati_agp
        natsemi 22880 0
        ohci_hcd 19332 0
        usbcore 103516 3 ohci_hcd
        binfmt_misc 10120 1
        subfs 7424 1
        nls_cp437 6016 1
        vfat 14208 1
        fat 43584 1 vfat
        nls_utf8 2304 2
        ntfs 86416 1
        dm_mod 50300 0
        reiserfs 241104 1
        SOL:/home/clay #

        yours was

        > ppp_async 7520
        > ppp_generic 15452
        > slhc 5040

        hmmm different values; what does it mean?
      • Richard Hamel-Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
          C wrote:
          > All these are present(uncommented) in /boot/config-2.6.5-7.75-default
          >
          >>CONFIG_PPP=m
          >>CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m
          >>CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=m
          >>CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=m
          >>CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m
          >>

          > Interestingly enough, I did an update through yast2 (I got an hour on
          > a T1 to test :) ) and updated my kernel but theres no
          > /usr/src/linux/.config.

          The .config is generated if you do a 'make config'. It may or may not be
          present otherwise.

          > doing the lsmod after wvdial,
          >
          > SOL:/home/clay # lsmod
          > Module Size Used by
          > ppp_async 11904 0
          > ppp_generic 29332 1 ppp_async
          > slhc 7552 1 ppp_generic
          > ipv6 236800 6
          >
          > yours was
          >

          >>ppp_async 7520
          >>ppp_generic 15452
          >>slhc 5040
          >>

          > hmmm different values; what does it mean?

          Possibly, it's becoz we are running different versions of the kernel.

          Ok, so the modem connects, starts PPP and then it dies.

          While the connect attempt is happening, what does the output of

          # ps axf | grep ppp

          look like?

          Do you have an old lock file in /var/lock, by any strange chance?

          What happens if you try to connect manually to the ISP's number using
          minicom?
          I used to do this once,
          1. connect using minicom
          2. exit minicom without resetting the modem
          3. launch pppd manually
          4. add my ifconfig for ppp0 manually

          Oh by the way, when you do ifconfig, how many pppX lines do you have?
          I ask, becoz at one time, I was getting several. Had to kill them manually.

          Have you tried writing a ppp dialer program script? I have an old one
          somewhere that used to work for me
          when all else failed. I'm attaching it, in case you want to try it.

          C, bro, I'm stumped. I'm currently running Slackware and I haven't
          looked at 2.6 yet, so there's not much more
          I can suggest. Maybe you can run 'strace' against pppd and check the
          output for some file or device it's trying to open?

          Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
          Richard

          ----------

          #!/bin/sh
          #
          # Script to initiate a ppp connection. This is the first part of the
          # pair of scripts. This is not a secure pair of scripts as the codes
          # are visible with the 'ps' command. However, it is simple.
          #
          # These are the parameters. Change as needed.
          TELEPHONE=619-5638 # The telephone number for the connection
          ACCOUNT=myaccount # The account name for logon (as in 'George Burns')
          PASSWORD=mypassword # The password for this account (and 'Gracie Allen')
          LOCAL_IP=0.0.0.0 # Local IP address if known. Dynamic = 0.0.0.0
          REMOTE_IP=0.0.0.0 # Remote IP address if desired. Normally 0.0.0.0
          NETMASK=255.255.255.0 # The proper netmask if needed
          PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
          #
          # Export them so that they will be available at 'ppp-on-dialer' time.
          export TELEPHONE ACCOUNT PASSWORD PATH
          #
          # This is the location of the script which dials the phone and logs
          # in. Please use the absolute file name as the $PATH variable is not
          # used on the connect option. (To do so on a 'root' account would be
          # a security hole so don't ask.)
          #
          DIALER_SCRIPT=/etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer
          #
          # Initiate the connection
          #
          # I put most of the common options on this command. Please, don't
          # forget the 'lock' option or some programs such as mgetty will not
          # work. The asyncmap and escape will permit the PPP link to work with
          # a telnet or rlogin connection. You are welcome to make any changes
          # as desired. Don't use the 'defaultroute' option if you currently
          # have a default route to an ethernet gateway.
          #
          #exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem /dev/ttyS0 115200 \
          #asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
          #noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

          exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem /dev/ttyS0 115200 \
          asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
          noauth noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT &

          ----------

          #!/bin/sh
          #
          # This is part 2 of the ppp-on script. It will perform the connection
          # protocol for the desired connection.
          #
          exec chat -v \
          TIMEOUT 3 \
          ABORT '\nBUSY\r' \
          ABORT '\nNO ANSWER\r' \
          ABORT '\nNO CARRIER\r' \
          ABORT '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r' \
          '' '\rATm1l1' \
          'OK-+++\c-OK' ATH0 \
          TIMEOUT 30 \
          OK ATDT$TELEPHONE \
          CONNECT '' \
          :--: $ACCOUNT \
          assword: $PASSWORD

        • C
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
            > # ps axf | grep ppp
            >
            > look like?

            SOL:/var/lock # ps -aux | grep ppp
            Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
            http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
            root 3705 0.0 0.3 1692 628 pts/1 S+ 23:21 0:00 grep ppp
            SOL:/var/lock # ps -aux | grep ppp
            Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
            http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
            root 3707 0.0 0.5 2472 1112 pts/2 S 23:21 0:00
            /usr/sbin/pppd 115200 modem crtscts defaultroute usehostname -detach
            user cttrc noipdefault call wvdial usepeerdns idle 300 logfd 6
            root 3736 0.0 0.3 1692 628 pts/1 S+ 23:21 0:00 grep ppp
            SOL:/var/lock # ps -aux | grep ppp
            Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
            http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
            root 3753 0.0 0.3 1692 628 pts/1 S+ 23:21 0:00 grep ppp
            SOL:/var/lock # ps -aux | grep ppp
            Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
            http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
            root 3757 0.0 0.3 1692 628 pts/1 S+ 23:21 0:00 grep ppp
            SOL:/var/lock #

            > Do you have an old lock file in /var/lock, by any strange chance?

            SOL:/var/lock # ls
            . .. block.agent.lock subsys
            SOL:/var/lock # ls subsys/
            . .. sysconfig
            SOL:/var/lock # ls subsys/sysconfig/
            . ..
            SOL:/var/lock # cat block.agent.lock
            1815

            > What happens if you try to connect manually to the ISP's number using
            > minicom?
            > I used to do this once,
            > 1. connect using minicom
            > 2. exit minicom without resetting the modem
            > 3. launch pppd manually
            > 4. add my ifconfig for ppp0 manually

            unsure of how to do this. The most I've played with minicom is to
            configure some routers.

            > Oh by the way, when you do ifconfig, how many pppX lines do you have?
            > I ask, becoz at one time, I was getting several. Had to kill them
            manually.

            there are no pppX lines cause I can't establish a connection?

            will check out the scripts and post back
          • Richard Hamel-Smith
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
              C wrote:

              >># ps axf | grep ppp
              >>
              >>look like?
              >>

              >SOL:/var/lock # ps -aux | grep ppp
              >Warning: bad syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
              >http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
              >root 3707 0.0 0.5 2472 1112 pts/2 S 23:21 0:00
              >/usr/sbin/pppd 115200 modem crtscts defaultroute usehostname -detach
              >user cttrc noipdefault call wvdial usepeerdns idle 300 logfd 6
              >root 3736 0.0 0.3 1692 628 pts/1 S+ 23:21 0:00 grep ppp

              What's this 'usepeerdns' thingy? I also don't recognise 'cttrc'. They
              may be all right. I just don't know what they do.
              The rest of the options seem familar.

              >>What happens if you try to connect manually to the ISP's number using
              >>minicom?
              >>I used to do this once,
              >> 1. connect using minicom
              >> 2. exit minicom without resetting the modem
              >> 3. launch pppd manually
              >> 4. add my ifconfig for ppp0 manually
              >>

              >unsure of how to do this. The most I've played with minicom is to
              >configure some routers.

              Basically, you link /dev/modem to whichever port your modem is attached
              to, and then run minicom.
              Then, you do

              atdt6195638

              to connect to TSTT.

              You should see some kind of login prompt. Enter username, passwd. It
              should start PPP on that end automatically, which
              looks like garbage characters coming across the line. Then, you hit
              Ctrl-A,Q to quit with reset.
              Then run 'pppd'.

              Buss it to another terminal and check with

              ps axf | grep ppp

              ifconfig ppp0

              route add default gw etc.

              NB: linux does not support 'ps -aux'. Yeah, I know. It caught after
              years of using UNIX too.

              >>Oh by the way, when you do ifconfig, how many pppX lines do you have?
              >>I ask, becoz at one time, I was getting several. Had to kill them
              >>

              >manually.
              >

              >there are no pppX lines cause I can't establish a connection?

              Yeah, usually there aren't but one problem I came up against, was that
              ppp connections were forming, but not
              correctly. I ended up with several before I thought to run 'ifconfig'
              and realised what was happening.

              If you can get through with the minicom thing, then I suggest it's due
              to some parameter being passed to ppp on its command line.

              Richard