Free Downloads from Bruce Perens' Open Source Series

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11 8:49 AM
      http://www.informit.com/promotion/1041 Pretty cool syuff., with some full book downloads.

      Prentice Hall PTR is proud to publish the Bruce Perens' Open Source Series with Bruce Perens, Series Editor. This Series focuses on Linux and Open Source technologies, including new and emerging technologies. It targets professional software developers, system and network administrators, and power users.

      The Bruce Perens' Open Source Series is designed to give a voice to up-and-coming Open Source authors. Each book in the Series is published under the Open Publication License, an Open Source compatible book license. Electronic versions will be made available at no cost several months after each book's publication.

      Embedded Software Development with eCos
      In this start-to-finish guide to eCos solution building, Anthony Massa covers eCos architecture, installation, configuration, coding, deployment, and the entire eCos open source development system.
      http://www.informit.com/content/downloads/perens/0130354732.pdf

      Implementing CIFS: The Common Internet File System
      The developer's guide to CIFS-Microsoft's common Internet filesharing system-written by a member of the Samba Team. This book gathers together and presents the arcane knowledge of the Samba Team in understanding the CIFS protocol.
      http://www.informit.com/content/downloads/perens/013047116X_pdf.zip

      Intrusion Detection with SNORT: Advanced IDS Techniques Using SNORT, Apache, MySQL, PHP, and ACID
      This book explains and simplifies every aspect of deploying and managing Snort in your network. Includs custom scripts to integrate Snort with Apache, MySQL, PHP, and ACID so you can build and optimize a complete IDS solution in record time.
      http://www.informit.com/content/downloads/perens/0131407333.pdf

      Managing Linux Systems with Webmin: System Administration and Module Development
      A Webmin guide for every beginning-to-intermediate sysadmin. Written by Webmin's primary developer, this book delivers authoritative, step-by-step coverage of the latest version of Webmin, from installation to centrally managing multiple servers.
      http://www.informit.com/content/downloads/Perens%20Downloads/0131408828_pdf.zip

      Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide
      This book pays special attention to Windows administrators migrating to Samba. It exists as a comprehensive compilation of questions and answers cultivated from Samba mailing lists, as well as new information written exclusively for the book.
      http://www.informit.com/content/downloads/perens/Terpstra_0131453556.pdf

      The Linux Development Platform
      The Linux Development Platform shows how to choose the best open source and GNU development tools for your specific needs, and integrate them into a complete development environment that maximizes your effectiveness in any project.
      http://www.informit.com/content/downloads/perens/0130091154.pdf

      Rapid Application Development with Mozilla
      A concise guide for programmers who want to learn the versatility and compatibility of Mozilla. This book is perfect for UI engineers, cross-platform developers, or programmers looking to discover the benefits of rapid application development.
      http://www.informit.com/content/downloads/perens/0131423436_pdf.zip
      -------------------------
    • Raul Bermudez
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12 5:52 AM
        Richard,

        I do not remember anyone, not even Taran, bringing it to our attention when
        it was new-s.

        Most of us only find out what Taran is up to when someone takes issue with
        something he says. I can't understand why some people insist on being so
        obnoxious, all the time.

        It is nothing a Dale Carnegie course couldn't solve, but his daddy will have
        to pay for that.

        Raul

        --

        > From: Richard Hamel-Smith <rhamel@...>
        > Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 06:24:51 -0400
        > To: computing@...
        > Subject: Re: Free Downloads from Bruce Perens' Open Source Series
        >

        >> Taran Rampersad wrote:
        >>
        >> This news is over a year old.
        >>

        > You will forgive me, of course, Taran, but to my slow mind, it is not so
        > much whether the "news" is old as whether it is valuable.
        > We all need to be reminded of stuff that is out there, stuff we may have
        > lost track of, in the 'busy-ness' of our lives.
        >
        > Is the freshness of news its only real value? Does it matter only if
        > it's "happening"? I wonder what happens to those people whose lives are
        > exposed to us nightly on the news. What is their fate after their story
        > is no longer newsworthy? Does the pain go away after an appropriate
        > period of being out of the limelight? Do they actually fade away after
        > the BBC and CNN reporters leave their country?
        >
        > Or, heaven forbid, do thy actually suffer the effects for the rest of
        > their lives? Is their case worse now, that they have had their 15
        > minutes of fame? Can they adjust to the obscurity?
        >
        > In another way, do we really need to be so 'cutting edge' all the time?
        > Couldn't we just stop to savour something to its full depth, instead of
        > flitting from subject to subject, like intellectual butterflies? What's
        > wrong with going over something we've done before?
        >
        > Slowly sipping my way through my coffee this morning,
        >
        > Richard

      • Raul Bermudez
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12 10:05 AM

          > Most of us only find out what Taran is up to when someone takes issue with
          > something he says. I can't understand why some people insist on being so
          > obnoxious, all the time.

          Does this not clearly say that I do not get or read the things he sends?

          Enough of this!

          :)
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 12 11:56 AM
            Raul Bermudez wrote:

            >>Most of us only find out what Taran is up to when someone takes issue with
            >>something he says. I can't understand why some people insist on being so
            >>obnoxious, all the time.
            >>

            > Does this not clearly say that I do not get or read the things he sends?
            >
            > Enough of this!
            >
            > :)

            He's not on the list, guys. Enough of this.

            --
            Richard Jobity, Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago | ph: (868) 620-5550
            http://www.ttlug.org | http://www.weakblog.com | http://www.jobity.com