Image database manager

  • David McKen
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
      I want to archive MANY images of scanned material (mainly
      textual/forms).

      What would be a good software manager for this?

      My requirements are:
      Free <- I would be willing to settle for cheap.
      Relatively portable <- Win/Lin.
      Allows multiple (possibly user defined) fields of text that can be
      used
      later when searching the images. I could code all the info into the
      filename
      but that would get annoying.
      Compression of entire database (not really a requirement but would be
      quite
      useful if implemented.

      If it will help here is a full description of my problem. My uncle
      runs a
      dental office and we have patient records from 6-7 years ago (that is
      how
      long since we have last seen them) and the filing cabinets are
      becoming
      quite full, we have removed all patients that haven't come back in
      the past
      3 years and stored them in a seperate location and now that is
      getting
      packed, we want to convert them to electronic format and I want some
      way to
      manage the resultant images. We want to be able to search by first or
      last
      name as well as social security # and possibly date we last saw them.

      Does anyone know any software that could meet this need. I was
      considering
      code it myself using wxWindows and coupling it with a mySQL database
      but if
      such a product does exist then why start from scratch?

      Thanks in Advance
      David McKen

    • Taran Rampersad
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
        David,

        You may actually have a better solution than wxWindows available to you.
        At one point I was discussing with my dentist a manner in which to do
        the same thing, and I was thinking along the path you presently are.
        (Incidentally, wxWindows is now wxWidgets due to a settlement with
        Microsoft).

        Here's what I'll toss at you now: http://www.drupal.org/ and
        http://drupal.org/project/image

        You'll have to break a few current 'thinking molds' in IT. But it's
        possible. Consider this:

        (1) Each user is actually a dental patient.
        (2) A server can be a local server; a server can be on local machine -
        not necessarily *a* local machine.

        This particular solution is almost completely platform independant. I'm
        all for a C++ solution myself, but - I think you can get this off the
        ground with a minimum of programming, as well as training of office
        staff - a big issue, especially in Trinidad and Tobago.

        My two cents, your mileage may vary.

        If you do use this approach, please let me know.

        --
        Taran Rampersad
        cnd@...

        New! http://www.easylum.net
        http://www.knowprose.com
        http://www.fsc.cc/
        http://www.uwi.edu/scs/
        http://www.a42.com
        http://www.xeebra.com
      • Allan Samaroo
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
          You can use a Photo Album.........i've just installed Gallery as part of my
          Intranet. It comes with a java-based client for both Mac OSX and Windows
          where you actually drag and drop pictures from source to the client app!!!!
          It is really one of the higher quality open source apps out there!!!! It
          does require a PHP enabled web server though which is not a problem on
          windows as you can use IIS, apache, xitami or even PWS.......PHP is
          auto-configuring for IIS, xitami and PWS......no database software required.

          See: http://gallery.menalto.com

          There is another one called Greenstone which is UN-funded and also
          GPL'ed..........and comes with it's own built-in web server but I think it's
          harder to maintain a collection........well after seeing how easy Gallery
          is.

          See: http://www.greenstone.org

          Both allows you to categorise pictures and give them names, descriptions,
          and people can even enter their comments when they view pictures.........the
          names, descriptions and comments are all searchable as well.

          There are others which may be better fit your bill.......do a search for
          "photo album" at freshmeat or sourceforge.

          HTH, and as usual please post whatever solution you may use. Not many
          people do and that takes away from the list.

          Allan.

        • nphillip@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
            What type of storage would something like this require?

            I ask because i have recently begun taking digital
            pictures using a 3.2mp camera and i'm up to 1gb already.
            You are talking about scanning xrays from 6-7 to the present
            along with forms. Then you have to consider backups, etc.

            --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Samaroo" <samaroo@g...> wrote:
            > You can use a Photo Album.........i've just installed Gallery as
            part of my
            > Intranet. It comes with a java-based client for both Mac OSX and
            Windows
            > where you actually drag and drop pictures from source to the client
            app!!!!
            > It is really one of the higher quality open source apps out
            there!!!! It
            > does require a PHP enabled web server though which is not a problem
            on
            > windows as you can use IIS, apache, xitami or even PWS.......PHP is
            > auto-configuring for IIS, xitami and PWS......no database software
            required.

            > See: http://gallery.menalto.com
            >
            > There is another one called Greenstone which is UN-funded and also
            > GPL'ed..........and comes with it's own built-in web server but I
            think it's
            > harder to maintain a collection........well after seeing how easy
            Gallery
            > is.
            >
            > See: http://www.greenstone.org
            >
            > Both allows you to categorise pictures and give them names,
            descriptions,
            > and people can even enter their comments when they view
            pictures.........the
            > names, descriptions and comments are all searchable as well.
            >
            > There are others which may be better fit your bill.......do a
            search for
            > "photo album" at freshmeat or sourceforge.
            >
            > HTH, and as usual please post whatever solution you may use. Not
            many
            > people do and that takes away from the list.
            >
            > Allan.

            Lexmark
            > > Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
            > > US & Canada.
            > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/0XFolB/TM
            > >
            > > Trinidad and Tobago Linux Users Group
            > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ttlug
            subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • David McKen
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
              I was more looking for a way to archive old patient records (the
              current set
              numbers 500 and are scheduled for destruction).

              This poses another posibility, we pay a pretty penny for our billing
              software might be possible to replace it with this.

              I will keep you informed as to whether or not we use it. Got to run
              it by my
              uncle first.

              By the way I am in Maryland,USA at the moment, most of our staff are
              computer savy (I dare not say literate).

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
                Here is some software you might want to take a look at

                Open Source
                http://www.open-dent.com/

                Anil.

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2004
                  David McKen wrote:

                  > I was more looking for a way to archive old patient records (the
                  > current set
                  > numbers 500 and are scheduled for destruction).

                  This would be a superb use of Drupal. I'm actually looking over the code
                  in the Book module right now, but a billing plug-in could probably be
                  based off of other modules in there. I've been considering other uses as
                  well...

                  > This poses another posibility, we pay a pretty penny for our billing
                  > software might be possible to replace it with this.

                  There's another part of this as well. Consider sharing of medical
                  records between dental offices; from specialists such as the surgeons
                  (Crack, ow) and so on. I was considering the synergy between medical
                  offices and dental offices and even hospitals as well. The MySQL back
                  end makes a lot possible, as do others.

                  I have found some stumbling blocks to some of my thoughts, such as the
                  issue of large revisions in Drupal (thus the reason I am looking into
                  the Book module at this time).

                  The front end is simply nice with Drupal, at least to start with, and
                  gives an existing code base to work with. Hardware has become cheaper,
                  and to do many things, an adaptable CMS is quite useful. Consider that
                  an RSS feed to a cellular phone is the *perfect* replacement for a
                  Doctor's pager/Dentist.

                  > I will keep you informed as to whether or not we use it. Got to run
                  > it by my
                  > uncle first.

                  If you do, I'd be happy to assist as time permits. As it is, I've become
                  a journeyman Drupal person. wxWindows has it's uses as well.

                  Properly adapted, Drupal could probably even handle.... hehehe... credit
                  union software. :P

                  > By the way I am in Maryland,USA at the moment, most of our staff are
                  > computer savy (I dare not say literate).

                  Maryland? Hehe... been through there a few times on the way down to DC
                  from NY. Do they have Cracker Barrels on the interstate in Maryland? I
                  never got to find out... Always ended up eating further South, it seems.

                  --
                  Taran Rampersad
                  cnd@...

                  New! http://www.easylum.net
                  http://www.knowprose.com
                  http://www.fsc.cc/
                  http://www.uwi.edu/scs/
                  http://www.a42.com
                  http://www.xeebra.com
                • David McKen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2004
                    > Maryland? Hehe... been through there a few times on the way down to DC
                    > from NY. Do they have Cracker Barrels on the interstate in Maryland? I
                    > never got to find out... Always ended up eating further South, it seems.

                    Yep. There is one about 15 minutes from my uncle's place.

                  • Allan Samaroo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
                      A complete installation of the software is about 3-15MB depending on
                      libraries installed..........the size of the photo albums themselves really
                      depends on number of photos, the resolution (size), quality, format, etc
                      etc..........a 3.2 megapixel is good enough unless you also want to make
                      large prints..............

                      The thing with photos is that they're kept a really really long
                      time.........an 80GB hard drive is relatively cheap these days so I'd
                      recommend getting one of those to start with.

                      Have you joined a photography club yet? I think another (very dormant) LUG
                      member wanted to start one.......

                      Allan.