Re: [TTLUG] Linux instability

  • Kerry Panchoo
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2000
      christian,

      we have been hearing about mandrake being the best distro there is.. well
      atleast
      the reviews say so.. point is you have to go by what you see for yourself- i
      have seen reviews where redhat got the lowest scores and other distros got some
      remarkable scores- but when we try them its different- redhat tends to holdout
      everything else seems to fail.. so my take on it is that red hat 7.0
      works well as a desk top PC.. few problems but nothing great- i have no clue
      about what the internal problem are, but so far as a desktop system i have not
      had a single problem with it gnome is very stable- usually i get tons of
      crashes- 6.0, 6.1 & 6.2 was bad with - none - not a single one so far.. the
      panel has not disappeared on me- the machine has been going thru its paces with
      my apps- as far as desk top use go- i have no problems with redhat 7.0 - i
      think for the ordinary user like myslef-
      net, surfing, programming, office work etc its very good-

      for the past week or so i've been using it- i've had no problems what so ever
      apart from my sound card and netscape.. not one single application crash apart
      from netscape.. not one.. not LICQ, not
      staroffice, not X, not Gnome, not sawfish, not an applet, not an animated
      background, nothing at all... my CD writer works, my drives work, my digital
      camera works-- in my mind its doing what its
      supposed to mostly.. i cant argue with them if they dont support a sound card
      (thats whats sndconfig
      tells me !)... i think its worth playing with. my machine is on 24/7, connected
      to the internet..
      its ip is 24.42.232.77 you could scan it if you like :)

      one more thing- i now do work on an NT platform, now more than ever i kno linux
      is better-
      the more i use it the less i want to do with it, what every problems i have
      experienced over the past
      year or so with Linux, its nothing compared to the crap that Windows will give
      you. Linux is a dream compared to it!.

      laters,
      Kerry

    • Dunstan Nesbit
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2000
        Kerry if you are having problems with netscape try the lastest nightly build
        of mozilla (not M17)
        I'm running it with KDE2 final beta(Konqueror not quite ready yet) with X4
        on Mandrake 7.1 and
        it runs like a beast....
        It's fast and it's stable... the Windows version even runs faster than IE5.5
        and the java stuff works...
        If you use stuff like dialpad you will be impressed

        I've have not try RH7.0 as but I'm gonna try it this week.. not RH's version
        but the hacked version...the hacked version has got Reiser FS as option with
        it
        Here are the links for anyone interested in the hacked version of RH7.0

        http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/
        ftp://139.82.28.40/pub/7.0-Reiser-i386-disc1.iso
        ftp://139.82.28.40/pub/7.0-i386-disc2.iso

        Dunstan